Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: Worrying times

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:46 pm

I retired from football to play chess. It will take a while before we play again. September may be wishful thinking and will we be able to afford it. Will London chess classic happen? Leagues?

Now time for a walk... maybe I will spot a chess player...I saw one yesterday and we both wondered how New Malden's IM was doing?

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:59 pm

I think the other issue with organising a tournament now... what happens if there is a second wave?

For example if this clears up quicker than we think and all restrictions are lifted by the end of may you have a big gap there in the chess calendar. No british, no scottish.

There's room there for a big tournament to take place as I'm sure a lot of people will be straining at the leash to go away and play chess which might compensate for those who won't want to risk it, but who would sponsor the thing? what happens if it ends up getting cancelled?

That's what I wondered about the British, they seemed to cancel quite early so I wondered if they had some kind of insurance deal in place, in case of annulment, that would be lost if they postponed it and then it got cancelled at a later date. just a theory.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:35 pm

The alternative, less pessimistic, scenario is that being "locked down" for so long makes people appreciate real life human interaction more.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:36 pm

I think even when the social distancing restrictions are eventually lifted, the fall out for things we previously took for granted might last years. Insurance is a good point. It was noticeable that even before the extent of the pandemic was fully known, that you could no longer buy travel insurance very easily. You'd have to wonder how long it will take the travel industry to recover to anything like normality. Another good point I read recently in relation to sporting events and larger venues, is there's very likely to be a pecking order in the recovery months. Even in sports with a relatively large followings such as boxing are likely to be pushed out of the venues they want for a long time by music concerts and the like. Availability and insurance could become a real issue for large chess events like the British Championship.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:48 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:36 pm
I think even when the social distancing restrictions are eventually lifted, the fall out for things we previously took for granted might last years.
One positive aspect of this is that many people will realise that it's no longer necessary to use their cars so much, if they have been able to work satisfactorily from home. It may become the new norm, and the lives saved through reduced road accidents and pollution related illness may eventually outweigh those lost to the virus.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Working from home is another one. A lot of firms blocked that option from their employees, saying it's unworkable. But then have found it easily workable! Lol

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:43 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm
But then have found it easily workable! Lol
I seriously doubt that, but we shall see.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:05 pm

Nowhere selling masks. Nowhere selling trainers. I need a new pair. But shorts I wore last summer got a walk.
r
Employers will want pay cuts. Pensions have taken a hit. I have a four week wait for a new inhaler having a non steroid one.

Looking out for chess.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:30 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:05 pm
Nowhere selling trainers. I need a new pair.
Is it now difficult to buy things like that online? I'm only asking because I don't know.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:29 pm

Interesting, but inconclusive, BBC report on the Netherlands' "intelligent lockdown" -
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52135814

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:20 pm

" It was noticeable that even before the extent of the pandemic was fully known, that you could no longer buy travel insurance very easily."

My Travel Insurance provider (I have annual cover) sent me a renewal notice, which I ignored, so they offered me 15 months for the price of 12. Yippee. I'm not sure if I'm going anywhere then...And then a begging text today.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:22 pm

And... We haven't heard much from Roger De C recently. I hope he's ok.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:52 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:22 pm
I hope he's ok.
I may be taking a break until the return of OTB chess.

The 4NCL League and others are an experiment in whether it is possible to play serious chess online without it degenerating into accusations of real or imagined cheating.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:22 pm
And... We haven't heard much from Roger De C recently. I hope he's ok.
I too had noticed his absence, but I when I checked his profile, I found that he had been online here, even though he had not posted.
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:52 pm
I may be taking a break until the return of OTB chess.

The 4NCL League and others are an experiment in whether it is possible to play serious chess online without it degenerating into accusations of real or imagined cheating.
Roger, it's good to hear from you in person nevertheless.