Worrying times

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Moore

Re: Worrying times

Post by John Moore » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:59 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:25 pm
you come across as an embittered person, if your posts are anything to go by.

the rowson review was just plain nasty, but i guess that reflects you as a person.
Hi Danny - just take a breath sometimes before you post! I'd much rather have you on the site than not because it's good to have the professional player's view but sometimes you get a bit excited and jump in without thinking!

Roland Kensdale

Post by Roland Kensdale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:42 pm

YouTube clip from Australia's 60 Minutes programme. An interview with Swedish Home Affairs Minister Michael Damberg being asked about their relaxed lockdown policy, who is asked the question: 'This sounds like playing Chess against Death ?' who replies that 'All countries are playing chess against a new pandemic ...'

Perhaps the interviewer had been watching Ingmar Bergman's Seventh Seal in a retrospective on recently deceased Max von Sydow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7yfK0kCAfU (4.14 in video)

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:54 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:01 pm
Whatever date it is, I don't think people are going to go back while there's a high death rate and no testing-and-isolation operation of any note.

(Just in general, it's one of the problems with the herd-immunity strategy that you can either have people carrying on their normal lives, or you can have several hundred people a week dying of a virus, a tally which would of course be much higher without lockdown. But you can't have both, people won't do that.)
Precisely, the idea that the economy would be motoring along if 1000s a day were dying and our hospitals swamped is simply delusional.
This is an interesting one; if deaths continue at the current levels then this form of lockdown isn’t working and would need even stricter measures, to reduce deaths

If deaths do start decreasing then the lockdown has to finish in some form, otherwise we will be just sitting waiting for a vaccine

We also have no proof that deaths would shoot up if there was no lockdown (not really happening in Sweden with the current data), it is theoretically possible that nothing but the status quo will continue; it really a crap shoot using best available knowledge at the moment

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:21 pm

Sweden did ban large gatherings, closed high schools and universities and advised the elderly to self-isolate. But bars, restaurants, primary schools and most businesses are still open. The reports I read suggest people are being careful and avoiding crowds in general, but obviously there's no strict crowd control by the authorities. They've had 1500 Covid-19 deaths so far, with a relative surge of a third of the deaths being in the last week. The government is holding firm on its herd immunity plan at the moment. It will be interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go for them.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:01 pm

John Moore wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:59 pm
Daniel Gormally wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:25 pm
you come across as an embittered person, if your posts are anything to go by.

the rowson review was just plain nasty, but i guess that reflects you as a person.
Hi Danny - just take a breath sometimes before you post! I'd much rather have you on the site than not because it's good to have the professional player's view but sometimes you get a bit excited and jump in without thinking!
Yeah. But I won't be posting on this forum anymore. I don't have anything against anyone on here, but some of the unpleasantness and pettiness is downright nasty, and personal at times. People have a right to post their views without feeling they're coming under attack.

To be honest I only created an account to post about that Devon cheating incident, but got sucked in, as usual. :(

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:01 pm
Yeah. But I won't be posting on this forum anymore. I don't have anything against anyone on here, but some of the unpleasantness and pettiness is downright nasty, and personal at times. People have a right to post their views without feeling they're coming under attack.

To be honest I only created an account to post about that Devon cheating incident, but got sucked in, as usual. :(
That is a great pity. I have valued most of your contributions and I shall miss them.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Best of luck Danny with the lockdown. I hope the coaching and streaming keeps you ticking over. Without rehashing anything I appreciate that you coming into that Devon discussion opened the way for a lot of other strong players to speak up too.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Danny I shall miss your contributions. I am curious about Devon cheating incident. I cannot recall it on the cheating thread.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:50 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:30 pm
Danny I shall miss your contributions. I am curious about Devon cheating incident. I cannot recall it on the cheating thread.
I assume he means Dorset and the suspicions raised about Declan Lovelock, who has now stopped playing competitive chess.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:04 am

More interesting figures and analysis at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

Some key points:

Deaths in England and Wales have risen sharply above what would be expected, hitting a 20-year high.
The Office for National Statistics said there were 18,500 deaths in the week up to 10 April - around 10,000 more than is normal at this time of year.
More than 6,200 were linked to coronavirus, a sixth of which were outside of hospital.
But deaths from other causes also increased, suggesting the lockdown may be having an indirect impact on health.
This data is different from the daily death figures which are announced by government.
That looks at deaths in hospital where a person is infected with coronavirus, which does not tell us to what extent the death is caused by the virus.
The ONS figures rely on death certificates where the cause or contributory factors are listed.
As a result, the figures lag behind the government figures but give a more accurate picture of what is happening.

https://beauchess.blogspot.com/

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 pm

It would be a shame if Danny left, but it is his decision. I should think this forum is more civilised than the majority of comparable ones, but who knows, and I remember that one titled non-forumite once said to me "the question is, why does anyone spend any time on any forum?"

I suppose our two most regular GM posters have been Matthew and Keith, but no doubt Jim Plaskett will post again if the Criminal Cases Review Commission refers Charles Ingram's case back to the Court of Appeal!

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:11 pm
Martin Crichton wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:52 pm
IMVHO anyone that has had corona virus will just as easily get it a second time and a third time etc etc
There is little if any actual hard evidence for this.
its not rocket science...if you get a cold you get it again and again....a lot of herd mentality here it seems....following the nutty professor...then not following him....listening to the UK gov...face masks are a waste of time...now all of a sudden...yes everyone should wear face masks lol....I predicted the UK would be on its knees within 2 weeks a few weeks ago...they reacted too slow when it was clear for anyone that had eyes to see what was on the way.

and oh yes here is the latest from the WHO.....(have a guess...yup.....like I said from day 1)

World Health Organization says people who have recovered may not be protected against reinfection

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52424263

my next predictions.....

going to be a recession in the short term (obvious enough) but going to be the mother of all booms in the economys afterwards...just like a war..... going to be lots of job opportunities and vacancies due to covid deaths.... the pension funds of companies and individuals is going to be a lot more healthy as a large percentage of non contributors will have exited the funds
lots of new opportunities will present themselves. IMO
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm

Martin Crichton wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:17 pm

its not rocket science...if you get a cold you get it again and again
All viruses are like the common cold, well that's good to know, thank you ever so much for your expertise Professor.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:30 pm
Martin Crichton wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:17 pm

its not rocket science...if you get a cold you get it again and again
All viruses are like the common cold, well that's good to know, thank you ever so much for your expertise Professor.

Now now Martin, you've had your wrist tapped by a lily-livered Englishman (I'm being racist there because I'm not pure English - then again who is now?) over your health advice.

So, what's up doc?

Well, I'll take you to task over your pronouncements about wealth -

"... my next predictions.....

going to be a recession in the short term (obvious enough) but going to be the mother of all booms in the economys afterwards...just like a war..... going to be lots of job opportunities and vacancies due to covid deaths.... the pension funds of companies and individuals is going to be a lot more healthy... "

First, you've used "healthy" when you really should have used the word wealthy there instead. No use confusing the two if you want to get your message across loud and clear.

Second, speaking about "getting across" leads me to point out that you've got across the Irish Sea to become a jumped-up navvy in London (I'm being racist there because I'm not pure Irish - then again who is these days?) but now would seem to be the right time for you to get across the Atlantic to New York.

Your talents are wasted in London and you are behind the curve in that old Irish quest - to find the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow!

Rainbow's End - as every true fortune hunter knows - is in America, and there must be a place somewhere there for an enterprising fellow like you on Trump's Team America.

If you don't believe me take a gander at this -

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/busi ... mulus.html

No need to hang around in foggy old London Town awaiting the post-apocalyptic-boom kickoff...

Go far in the Wild West old chap - the Trump gold rush has already begun and there's money to be claimed even in the pit of the plague if you're brave.

(In case my name rings a bell, but you cannot quiet place me, we did meet otb, years ago, at the Metropolitan Tournament in Bishopsgate - you played the Caro-Kann and, you'll be pleased to know, won.)

Toodle pip (as Justin would say) and an Irish farewell - slán a fhágáil agus ádh mór ort.

OH, and by the way, the creator of this thread should not have entitled it "Worrying Times" (sounds like a combination of Wuthering Heights & Hard Times).

If, as he has stated, he wanted it to be more upbeat - like Martin and me are - he should have called it "Happy Days Are Here Again (or will be eventully if you stop moaning and wish hard enough)".

That's all folks!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Some people really can't help themselves. They spew forth obnoxious, cretinous shite, as if from some diabolic cloaca. It is written that Jesus wept. He certainly would if were to see some of this trash.