Chess once we restart over the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Robertson

Re: Chess once we restart over the board

Post by David Robertson » Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 am
With all due respect to Alex
LOL

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun May 24, 2020 3:12 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 am
With all due respect to Alex
LOL
Definition - "With all due respect is an adverb phrase used to signal that you are about disagree with someone or criticize them. Usually, with all due respect is intended to soften the effect of disagreeing or criticizing someone. It is a polite idiom that is intended to show esteem for the individual while still pointing out his wrong-thinking".

I have since taken on board that the phrase can be used ironically with the opposite meaning. It's irritating to have to clarify everything but, for David's benefit and that of anyone like-minded, that was not the intention here.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm

You have my thanks for your above clarification, Roger.

However, it still leaves open to question as to whether you regarded the "offending" post as one of a political, or social-behaviourial opponent, or if you are just the man on the Clapham omnibus who has grown sick & tired of the content of the current news hoardings on display everywhere?

NB: Please regard my question as rhetorical if you'd rather not say.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm

John McKenna wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:45 pm
You have my thanks for your above clarification, Roger.

However, it still leaves open to question as to whether you regarded the "offending" post as one of a political, or social-behaviourial opponent, or if you are just the man on the Clapham omnibus who has grown sick & tired of the content of the current news hoardings on display everywhere?

NB: Please regard my question as rhetorical if you'd rather not say.
John, I agree with Jack when, as moderator, he suggested that political discussion be conducted elsewhere. Please accept that it's not my intention to be or appear discourteous but I really don't feel it's helpful for me or anyone else to use this forum [with the arguable exception of the 'Not Chess' section] as a political debating chamber. There's enough argument, including a minority vexatious element, here as it is.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Roger, thanks again.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 pm

I've posted in 'Not Chess' on this matter - see below.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm

From the ECU website on restarting chess.

The full document and a Youtube link is here
https://www.europechess.org/how-to-rest ... ctivities/

Some of the main requirements:
It is recommended to start with small scale events with limited participants (e.g. round robin tournaments).
It is recommended participants sign a declaration about possible symptoms.
Space per player in playing halls shall be increased to cover at least the requirement of 1.5 m distance between the players.
The indoor playing hall must be ventilated regularly and efficiently before, during and after the rounds. It is not recommended any tournaments in rooms with no proper ventilation.
Outdoor chess activities are recommended.
Upon entering or exiting the playing hall, during the breaks participants must wash or disinfect their hands.
The Room pieces, clocks, chess boards, tables and chairs must be properly disinfected beforehand and after each round.
Face surgical mask is strongly recommended for all players and arbiters but no gloves.
In the toilet facilities, adequate cleaning and disinfection of the premises and constant ventilation must be ensured.
In the tournament hall shall be present only players and tournament staff.
Players shall leave the playing hall by the end of their game.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon May 25, 2020 9:32 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Space per player in playing halls shall be increased to cover at least the requirement of 1.5 m distance between the players.
If anyone watches the recording of the meeting (101 minutes long), I'd be interested to know how this can practically be applied to players playing each other.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon May 25, 2020 11:56 pm

"In the toilet facilities, adequate cleaning and disinfection of the premises and constant ventilation must be ensured."

Interestingly, I visited a hospital toilet cubicle recently, which had a warm-air dryer to use after you had washed your hands. Then you have to open the door... (which is a problem area even without a pandemic). Luckily there was enough toilet paper left to wrap round the lock and handle, and a bin nearby to dispose of it. You feel that paper towels would be a good idea. Half the hospital was closed off due to Covid-19. I feel if they don't think of this problem, that chess venues may struggle as well.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed May 27, 2020 10:56 pm

I agree with Kevin.
It's better to be safe than sorry.
Even wearing a face mask will not offer complete protection to your opponent across the board. You will probably need to wear a visor aswell.
I would feel very uncomfortable if I was asymptomatic and passed the virus to my opponent.
There is a trial of a test being done in 20 minutes, but I don't think that's enough.
Might be a case of playing tournaments outside with giant chess sets.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 pm

I wonder what to do with the current chess tables, as the current boards don't allow for social distancing of 2 meters. They don't even allow for 1 meter distance.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri May 29, 2020 12:42 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:47 pm
I wonder what to do with the current chess tables, as the current boards don't allow for social distancing of 2 meters. They don't even allow for 1 meter distance.
Alex McFarlane wrote:

Some of the main requirements:
Watch the YouTube video for the answer, perhaps, and then tell the rest of us what it is.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:

I am assuming though that this is subject to local regulations and therefore the government guidance that you should be 2m apart still applys. Obviously it is impossible in chess for you to be at least 2m apart from your opponent, as both players have to be within arms reach of the table.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:26 pm

David Blower wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:55 pm
Alex McFarlane wrote:

I am assuming though that this is subject to local regulations and therefore the government guidance that you should be 2m apart still applys. Obviously it is impossible in chess for you to be at least 2m apart from your opponent, as both players have to be within arms reach of the table.
The answer is that each player is equipped with a grabber with which they move their pieces. In order to capture, you first remove your opponent's piece then replace it with your own. You also use the grabber to bash your clock.

The only problem might be that it would be a bit tricky if both players are in time trouble.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:52 pm

Got it! We can all play on metallic demonstration boards, using poles to shift the pieces. Someone must have stored them safely somewhere in around the 1990s.