Chess once we restart over the board

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: Chess once we restart over the board

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:28 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:19 pm
its Vote Chess - in order to cheat there would have to be collusion on the part of multiple people to consistently agree a computer move at key moments. It may happen but not terribly likely.
The concern isn't that the players themselves are cheating, rather that the use of external assistance, such as books, would lead to accusations being made by chess.com.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:36 pm

That is the whole point of vote chess on chess.com though. Discussion of the moves is allowed in that form of chess. In fact it is encouraged.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 pm

I understand that Justin Horton had a bad experience, but that doesn't mean everybody should necessarily stop playing on chess.com. A small privately organised club v club vote chess game would as I previously suggested be unlikely to be on the radar of the admins, so be cautious but lets not overreact. For the record I do play on the site myself.

David is of course correct about the nature of Vote Chess - what is not allowed is a team member recommending computer moves and the rest of the team voting for it for that reason. Stockfish etc is not a permitted team member.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 pm

Let us deal with the 'Here and Now' first. The next 6 months.

Schools may start up again in September but not for non-curriculum matters.
It is unlikely that Premises Hire and insurance will be anywhere as cheap as now.

Why not make a big change for league chess AND all chess. Season 2021 Jan to December 3 month summer break June, July, August. Christmas Awards.

My nomination will be someone that has been in hospital, written books, junior training, adults and got local chess up and running online.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 pm

Alan Kennedy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:29 pm
Any thoughts on the video or the general concept David.
Not really, I am afraid. It is very commendable, but it is not my field.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Practical problems will be in deciding what to do about unfinished competitions from 2019-2020.

Various thoughts would be that you could attempt to complete them before starting 2020-21 competitions. You could double head outstanding fixtures with the corresponding 2020-21 ones. You could abandon 2019-20 as unfinished or not even started for summer based ones . Perhaps you just play those fixtures that affect championships, promotions and relegation. Even "adjudicating" unplayed matches could be possible.

All of that assumes you have both players and venues and also that a 2020-21 season is even possible.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:46 pm

My personal preference (not necessarily that of the club committee) is that the 20/21 Bucks season be completed in the current double round format, and that the 21/22 season be played as a single round. We introduced double-round because some teams varied considerably in strength home and away, but I think we could make an exception for one year. However I await the proposals of the league controller not least because we don't really know what the timescale for resumption is. I think in grading limited divisions the grades at the start of the event should still apply for eligibility, though perhaps this might be reviewed in the case of rapidly improving players who have overshot the grading limit by some distance. Its amateur chess and the grading limits exist to try and ensure fewer mismatches, so I'd give the league controller the discretion to bar players on these grounds.

Alan Kennedy

Post by Alan Kennedy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:08 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 pm
Alan Kennedy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:29 pm
Any thoughts on the video or the general concept David.
Not really, I am afraid. It is very commendable, but it is not my field.
thanks David much appreciated. bw Alan

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:48 pm

Just been advised that our local venue is now facing financial difficulties as it has no income from bookings and still has bills to pay. Unsure what government support will be available or when it will arrive. I'm not myself sure that community centres will disappear - the buildings will still exist, but clearly being in a community building isn't a great deal more certain than playing in the local pub.

Stephen Moss

Post by Stephen Moss » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm

This thread raises interesting issues and I feel we need to address them dispassionately – occasionally the thread becomes a little heated. I fear there is every chance that as well as losing this season we may be seriously damaged next season as well. As some here have said, will players be happy to sit a couple of feet away from perhaps 30 or 40 other people in the course of a season, with vulnerable 70-year-olds up against largely invulnerable 17-year-olds? Chess faces unique challenges in that respect. Does anyone know – perhaps I have missed the initiative – if the ECF is looking at all the issues raised. It needs to come up with its own "exit strategy" for chess and to formulate a two- or even three-year plan to protect the sport. There will clearly need to be a great deal of online chess, which has many attractions and could help grow the game, and a gradual return to OTB chess. There could be huge implications for clubs and for the future of the sport in the UK. The ECB and other federations need to be taking a lead on this and to guide the conversation. To resort to that much-loved cliché, every crisis is an opportunity, but only if you are prepared fully to engage with what it might mean.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Who's the ECF?

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:32 pm

The3 weeks more lockdown?
I'm 4 weeks into 12 self isolation..then another 4 plus 3?
Stephen -the most pressing need for our club is the beer at the pub will go off so sort out some beer AND food parcels.

I think we ought to change chess seasons to 1/1/21 to 31/12/21 anyway. maybe ECF agree. They may as well use 4 months of our fees as free for September to December 2020.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:51 am

The question we have to ask is when are we going to see tournaments again.

As a kind of professional player (although perhaps it's more that I don't do anything else) not being able to get to play any tournaments is a bummer, although people are dying so you have to put it into perspective.

chess players are trying to put a brave face on it but now i seriously question whether we'll see any more tournaments this year. if you organize a tournament, then you run the risk of that event being cancelled. sponsors like the ones who back the london chess classic will be wary of that factor, plus the issue of economic recession making it less attractive to sponsor events.

ok players are coming into the game online and so on but is there any evidence that they will want to play over the board events. and for me online isn't the same- I played a couple of games in the 4ncl online league but lacked any motivation. it's not the same.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 pm

Daniel Gormally wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:51 am
if you organize a tournament, then you run the risk of that event being cancelled. sponsors like the ones who back the london chess classic will be wary of that factor, plus the issue of economic recession making it less attractive to sponsor events.
There's also the risk that people will be unwilling to enter, for the reasons described by Stephen Moss above.

Daniel Gormally

Post by Daniel Gormally » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:43 pm

yeah that goes without saying. although there is also the fact that some people will be fed up of staying at home and will be eager to just get out of the house. often going away to tournaments gives you a break not only from your house but also the area that you live.

i'm speaking to an increasing number of friends who claim to have had the virus, or believe they have had the symptoms. so i guess those people might feel they have some immunity so won't be concerned about any risks that are involved.