British Blitz Championships

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey

Re: British Blitz Championships

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:09 pm
Li Wu wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 6:37 pm
Unfortunately you guys aren't the main core of chess.com customers.
Well no, and that's what enables them to be so professionally and ethically shoddy.
Justin - do I understand correctly that you think chess.com (or another site) should share the details of why someone was banned when requested? If so, how much detail do you think they should share?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 14, 2020 9:37 am

No, where are you getting that from?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 14, 2020 11:06 am

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:26 am
Justin - do I understand correctly that you think chess.com (or another site) should share the details of why someone was banned when requested?
I can't speak for Justin but with the player who has been banned, I could make a case for that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu May 14, 2020 12:54 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:37 am
No, where are you getting that from?
JustinHorton wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:14 pm
Li Wu wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:41 pm
RE: your case with chess.com Justin I think it's less that their detection methods are bad, and more of a case of them having an insufficient review process and poor customer service
I think you're probably mostly right, though do bear in mind the point about "excluding opening moves", where you don't have to have my chess library to think they're cutting off the opening phase too soon. But on top of that, the strong feeling I have is that the review process isn't just "insufficient", it serves to obscure and protect weaknesses in their detection methods. I may be entitled to suggest that there is less incentive to improve your detection methods if you're quite happy to throw people out and then ignore their complaints instead.
I inferred it from this post, seemingly wrongly.

I assumed a review process that said only; "We were happy to look at your case and have concluded that you did breach our fair play policy. The ban is upheld" would be unsatisfactory, and you wanted to see detail.

But intended as a straightforward question, because you have probably spent more time thinking about what a site should do that the rest of us.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 14, 2020 2:53 pm

Ah, OK, I think I may have been misunderstanding you, in fact: I interpreted "share" as meaning "with anyone who asked", but I don't think that's what you meant, you meant share with the banned user. Apologies.

The rough answer, and I can't do better than rough, is that yes, I think the person being banned should be given a reasonable summary of the case against them, e.g. over a sample of X games, we found that Y per cent of your moves accorded with one of an engine's top three choices, but for a player of your strength we would expect it to be only around (Y minus twenty) per cent.

In truth I don't see how you can have any meaningful review procedure without saying something of the kind.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:53 pm
In truth I don't see how you can have any meaningful review procedure without saying something of the kind.
Someone who was recently banned claimed that chess.com wouldn't even give him any details on the reason he'd been banned for something other than using an engine, presumably something from this page - https://www.chess.com/community.

As an aside, I wonder if people get banned for violating point 2 of this, which would presumably include two people playing each other using different computers connected to chess.com via the same router?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu May 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:20 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:53 pm
Someone who was recently banned claimed that chess.com wouldn't even give him any details on the reason he'd been banned for something other than using an engine
Yup, that would accord with my experience.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Thu May 14, 2020 3:55 pm

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Anybody got an idea where the live games are on Chess.com. I may be being stupid but I can't find them.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat May 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Danny Gormally stream hre: https://www.twitch.tv/gingergm

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sat May 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Thanks Nick.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat May 16, 2020 8:47 pm