Some thoughts on anti-cheating systems

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Steve Lovell

Re: Some thoughts on anti-cheating systems

Post by Steve Lovell » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:18 am

Thanks Adam, I've dropped you an email.
Steve Lovell

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 pm

I noticed the UK Chess Challenge Mega-Finals are playing this weekend on Lichess. It was a bit of shame the 2nd and 5th placers in the Under 14’s have received Lichess bans for using computer assistance post-tournament. Likewise the winner and 5th placer in the Under 12 Boys we’re also banned. There’s some good players being messed around by the cheaters.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:35 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 pm
I noticed the UK Chess Challenge Mega-Finals are playing this weekend on Lichess. It was a bit of shame the 2nd and 5th placers in the Under 14’s have received Lichess bans for using computer assistance post-tournament. Likewise the winner and 5th placer in the Under 12 Boys we’re also banned. There’s some good players being messed around by the cheaters.
It was mentioned during the afternoon's Twitch broadcast that the games from the morning's under 12 sections had already been sent off for scrutiny by Ken Regan's anti-cheating software so presumably the process of detecting cheats is still underway. The organisers are obviously doing their best to root out cheats and it's better to detect them at the Megafinal stage rather than at the later Gigafinal or Terafinal stages.

There remains the issue of "false positives", discussed at length on the 4NCL thread and in the editorial of June's Chess magazine. Mistakes occasionally occur. There is a further Megafinal opportunity in a fortnight so presumably an appeal by an innocent player could be made to lichess, with reinstatement if the appeal is successful. However, proving innocence could be very difficult indeed, especially for youngsters whose parents are not chess players.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:45 am

There’s a fair bit of money on the table in the Terra Final stage. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of Adam Raoof’s book, and have the final stage on Tornelo and Zoom?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:42 am

John Swain wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:35 am

There remains the issue of "false positives", discussed at length on the 4NCL thread and in the editorial of June's Chess magazine.
Oh that's interesting, what does it say?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 pm
Matt,
Is there somewhere to look up the results? I am sure I am being stupid, but I couldn’t find them.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:21 am

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:28 am

Thank you.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:48 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:42 am
John Swain wrote:

There remains the issue of "false positives", discussed at length on the 4NCL thread and in the editorial of June's Chess magazine.
Oh that's interesting, what does it say?
The section is found on pp.6-7 of the June edition of Chess under the telling subtitle "Guilty Until Proved Innocent". Malcolm Pein writes that "there is a huge amount of cheating" but persuasively points out that "platforms jealously guard the methods they use" and therefore "In practice, this makes it impossible, as things currently stand, to create a fair appeals procedure."

As one of the "Fischer Generation" I've been subscribing to Chess magazine since late 1971!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:11 am

John Swain wrote:
There is a further Megafinal opportunity in a fortnight so presumably an appeal by an innocent player could be made to lichess, with reinstatement if the appeal is successful. However, proving innocence could be very difficult indeed, especially for youngsters whose parents are not chess players.
Do lichess allow appeals? Their bans are based in some instances on a handful of games.

What they put on the profile is
This player uses chess computer assistance
But don't we all? Not during the game, but before and after.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:29 am

Yeah, but we know what they mean, and they don't mean that.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com