(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am

Do we really need a philosophical debate here? In my time on this forum I've had several private messages acknowledging that there are some 'nasty people' on the internet and indeed on this forum, yet rather than condemn an incident of gratuitous offence, people would prefer to consider the possibility that such posts might have merit, or the poster might sometimes have something worthwhile to say? Each to their own, but I think that gives too much succour and credence to the nasty.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 am

No one is suggesting a philosophical debate. Kevin Thurlow asked a simple question: is trolling always wrong? You do not need to be particularly insightful to understand the point he was making.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:56 pm

J T Melsom (in October 2019) wrote: Indeed David has previously admitted to not implementing a significant ''policy' in his life. You would have hoped that running the Grand Tour with younger people might have helped him.
J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:11 am
... rather than condemn an incident of gratuitous offence, people would prefer to consider the possibility that such posts might have merit, or the poster might sometimes have something worthwhile to say? Each to their own, but I think that gives too much succour and credence to the nasty.
Further comment seems superfluous

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm

David,

As you are aware I've also apologised to you for over-stepping the mark. Quoting me out of context as some sort of justification for abuse from another poster doesn't make much sense I'm afraid. I've never claimed to be blameless and the post to which I originally objected was offensive to far more people than myself, being dismissive of anybody whose state of mental health was causing them to struggle with the impact of COVID 19. I've hardly reacted at all to the other abuse Tim has sent in my direction.

[FWIW I can't remember the specifics but I may well have been having a bit of a forum melt-down last October.]

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:27 pm

This philosophically enlightening demonstration of the difficulties of PRA (Proof by Reiterative Assertion) must surely by now have run its course - even accepting that PRA in reality never achieves a conclusion...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:36 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:53 am
No one is suggesting a philosophical debate. Kevin Thurlow asked a simple question: is trolling always wrong? You do not need to be particularly insightful to understand the point he was making.
No, nor to grasp that in the absence of further clarification, it had already been answered
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm

'But he started it not me' :lol:

Not sure what PRA is to be honest but I am more than happy to move to other topics.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:12 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 pm

Not sure what PRA is to be honest but I am more than happy to move to other topics.
'Tis, [assertion]
T'isn't, [counter assertion]
Tis, [reiterative assertion]
T'isn't [reiterative counter-assertion]
'Tis

etc.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:19 pm

'Oh stoppit, you are being silly now'

There is actually a serious point somewhere in my comments about attitudes to mental health. I do hope that point isn't lost in the trivia of whether Spanton, Melsom et al can ever hope to get along nicely together.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:35 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm
David,

As you are aware I've also apologised to you for over-stepping the mark. ....

[FWIW I can't remember the specifics but I may well have been having a bit of a forum melt-down last October.]
I had forgotten the apology. I would not have knowingly quoted against anyone something for which they had apologised,

So I accept your apology and I apologise for my post.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Please everyone
I am a newcomer to this forum and had assumed it was place to debate and share views about chess
I have been reading through the last pages of this thread and am quite sad to see this is not the case at the moment
It has descended into point scoring and back-biting
No wonder we struggle to attract new people to our game

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:44 pm

Friday will be not back to normal.

Welcome John - good points.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:00 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:24 pm
Please everyone
I am a newcomer to this forum and had assumed it was place to debate and share views about chess
I have been reading through the last pages of this thread and am quite sad to see this is not the case at the moment
It has descended into point scoring and back-biting
No wonder we struggle to attract new people to our game
There's loads of genuine stuff all over the Forum, John. Don't let one thread put you off.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 pm

Moving on then, I am glad German courts are at last cracking down on their country's Nazi past:

From BBC News:
A 93-year-old former Nazi SS concentration camp guard has been found guilty of complicity in the murder of more than 5,000 prisoners.
Bruno Dey was handed a two-year suspended prison sentence by a court in the German city of Hamburg.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:14 pm

I agree with Paul Habershon, but this forum is also quite good at exposing fault-lines. Racism, sexism and mental health are areas of debate which highlight the fault-lines and the challenges which some parts of the chess community face if it is to grow. Social media throws a spotlight on individual views, but there are people who I'd give a wide berth to if they expressed their views in an after match pint, as i would to non chess players if they were in the same pub. I'm fortunate to have a good committee at my club that supports me and allows me to be an effective Chair and team captain. The ethos of our club wasn't set by me but is heavily reliant on inclusivity. I doubt the same support that keeps my club going would be offered by some posters.