(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Alex Bullen

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Alex Bullen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:11 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:25 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Well done to Alex for nearly knocking over that strong Russian FM yesterday.
Great game!

Bullen, Alex (WLS) - Pozdnjakov, Viatcheslav (RUS) 0-1

Summer Prague Open 2020 round 04

Thank you - shame it was a nearly but still a good scrap. I'm very happy today's game wasn't live though :oops:

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:03 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:09 pm
Well done to Alex for nearly knocking over that strong Russian FM yesterday. Listening to The Chess Pit podcast with the CEO of the Hastings tournament it sounds like they are leaning towards having an online event to mark the 100th anniversary over Christmas/New Year, with perhaps an over-the-board tournament cautiously penciled in for Spring 2021.
Pity if that's the case as that's a tournament I often go to after Christmas. Hope if they do move it to Spring it's around Easter which would be doable. Here is a picture of the current Latvian U-10 championship:

This reminds me a lot of the Horntye at Hastings where there is often a lot of space between the tables (I guess mostly due to the depressing lack of entries each year) but helpful if you're trying to get the social distancing right.
Last edited by Chris Rice on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 am

Think this is in France somewhere. That glass looks bullet proof.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:23 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:51 pm

My point was not on the legality of chess tournaments or mass gatherings in the Czech Republic but whether the fact that they are allowed in the first place without many of the social distancing and PPE measures that are now common in other countries is leading to rising figures. You haven't answered that but I'm guessing from your laissez faire attitude that this isn't a particular priority for you as long as the Czech government say its ok. Hope you are right but the figures at the moment are pointing the other way. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.
Talking to people, it would appear the laissez faire is an organiser choice rather than a state one, and that they may not be compliant to their legal obligations.

I was told (and cannot validate the information) that all spectators were supposed to be masked, and because the venue is > 100 people, there should be either an increased spacing or all participants should be wearing masks.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:11 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:23 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:51 pm

My point was not on the legality of chess tournaments or mass gatherings in the Czech Republic but whether the fact that they are allowed in the first place without many of the social distancing and PPE measures that are now common in other countries is leading to rising figures. You haven't answered that but I'm guessing from your laissez faire attitude that this isn't a particular priority for you as long as the Czech government say its ok. Hope you are right but the figures at the moment are pointing the other way. Guess we'll just have to see what happens.
Talking to people, it would appear the laissez faire is an organiser choice rather than a state one, and that they may not be compliant to their legal obligations.

I was told (and cannot validate the information) that all spectators were supposed to be masked, and because the venue is > 100 people, there should be either an increased spacing or all participants should be wearing masks.
Would you not agree the A and B sections are effectively in separate rooms, each with less than 100 people?

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:22 am

I thought the lower boards of B spilled into the A section for a round or two. But to your question, I am not a lawyer, not do I know the exact terms in the Czech law. I would assume a single volume counts as one room.

I am not advocating here for masks for everyone, rather pointing out that it might not be the Czech law that is lax, but maybe the organisers.

Based on the Biel experience, If I were to change a single thing without impacting the players, it would be to forbid spectators and ask players to stay at their boards for the game.
I believe this would go a long way to keeping a reasonable distanciation and reduce risks.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 am

"and ask players to stay at their boards for the game."

Not really on for a normal game, apart from toilet and refreshment considerations, if someone suffers from a back problem (e.g.), they might need to stand up and move about. And if you stand and stretch within the eyeline of the opponent, it could be distracting.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:53 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 am

Essential if you are playing one minute chess :wink:

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:06 am

Is the chair 'design' reasonably common? I have something similar in my bedroom. Also the shop is advertising railway books.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:12 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:11 am

You could lean round though
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm

The way the French have set up there is no room for a clock although I suppose a slightly longer table or moving things towards one end of the table could just about create room for the clock.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm

Would players have to provide their own sunscreen and/or rain-gear?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:08 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:56 am
"and ask players to stay at their boards for the game."

Not really on for a normal game, apart from toilet and refreshment considerations, if someone suffers from a back problem (e.g.), they might need to stand up and move about. And if you stand and stretch within the eyeline of the opponent, it could be distracting.
Lots of OTB players like to walk around anyway (I am certainly one of them)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I've just been on the Northumberland Chess Association website.
Statement by Mick Riding 01st August:
Northumberland Chess Congress 25th to 27th September is going ahead. North Tyneside council has allowed the hall to be used for a limited entry of 120 players with hygiene protocols.
Also Gosforth Chess Club reopened on Monday 13th July. 8 players turned up wearing masks with hygiene protocols in place.
There is a link with pictures on the Northumberland Chess Association website.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Thanks for the hot tip Simon! I've submitted an entry. Keep those tips coming! Lol