(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Thompson

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:18 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm
[Hastings] Cancelled on Saturday .... I have spent the last 30 New Years in Hastings - what else is there to do on Dec 31?
At the moment your chess playing possibilities in comparable tournaments appear to be:

Groningen - going ahead unless something changes to prevent that. Detailed arrangements to be published in September.

Krakow - possibly going ahead. The Polish language entry form has been published, but the foreign language ones haven't been. No other information available as far as I'm aware.

Rilton Cup - must be in considerable doubt. No announcements at all about this year's tournament on their website or on their Facebook page.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:18 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:47 pm
[Hastings] Cancelled on Saturday .... I have spent the last 30 New Years in Hastings - what else is there to do on Dec 31?
At the moment your chess playing possibilities in comparable tournaments appear to be:

Groningen - going ahead unless something changes to prevent that. Detailed arrangements to be published in September.

Krakow - possibly going ahead. The Polish language entry form has been published, but the foreign language ones haven't been. No other information available as far as I'm aware.

Rilton Cup - must be in considerable doubt. No announcements at all about this year's tournament on their website or on their Facebook page.
Groningen was always on my radar. Krakow over Christmas/New Year sounds like fun.
It has long been a dream of mine to spend Christmas in a hotel in Austria or somewhere similar with lots of snow and activities based around drinking gluhwein.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:33 pm

There’s the Prague event again not long into January. The same format as the Summer one. Often it’s cold and icy, but it seemed very mild weather at this January’s event.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:39 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:33 pm
There’s the Prague event again not long into January. The same format as the Summer one. Often it’s cold and icy, but it seemed very mild weather at this January’s event.
Good one - yes that's a definite possibility, assuming it goes ahead.
I was told at Prague this month that CzechTour would (very) soon be announcing more tournaments, but I find it ominous nothing has happened.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm

We will all be cheering you on in these tournaments Tim.
When are you playing John Cooper online next?
I beat John a few years ago in the League Cup when I played 1.b6 with black. Perhaps you could try that.
Hope too see you at our local Blackpool Chess Congress in the future.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Is the Blackpool Congress a rated or unrated tournament these days? :)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:10 pm

Not sure. Can't remember. Regrettably I am not strong enough to play in Opens.
Sadly, on a different note, I've just been on the New Zealand Chess Federation website and a number of Chess tournaments in Auckland have been cancelled due to the increase in infections and the higher Alert Level.
One was cancelled at particularly short notice.
Also Chess Clubs have been closed but not sure if it's across the whole country.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:43 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:56 pm
Is the Blackpool Congress a rated or unrated tournament these days? :)
Having been one of the earlier weekend tournaments to be FIDE rated, it's reverted to being unrated in recent years.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Edit:

This post originally made a comment on the non-grading of the Blackpool Conference. On reflection I decided it was inappropriate because, though this should have occurred, I am aware that there are extenuating circumstances.
Last edited by Michael Farthing on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:58 pm

The March Blackpool Congress still hasn't been ECF rated in the August revision. How strange!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
    Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:58 pm
    The March Blackpool Congress still hasn't been ECF rated in the August revision. How strange!
    That is an absolute nightmare. Half my long play games were at Blackpool and will dramatically affect my grade.

On a lighter note. I have another of my "hot tips" to post regards an OTB tournament taking place in October.
    Perhaps I should start a new topic titled:
    "Simon's Hot Tips" :lol:

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:29 pm

Thanks for PM, Michael to inform me. I don't know how to edit my post regards Blackpool Congress. We all will have to be patient regards the results for Blackpool Congress.
    My phone is now just about to run out of battery.
    Apologies all. I'll have to post the new OTB tournament
    tomorrow.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:38 pm

"Krakow over Christmas/New Year sounds like fun."

I played in it some years ago and it was. I believe the venue has changed, but it was a good event. I was the only English player. They didn't have an analysis room then, which seemed odd, I don't know if they do now. Krakow is an interesting place and they organized a trip to the local salt mine https://www.wieliczka-saltmine.com/ which was amazing. Hotels are generally cheaper than Hastings and rather better!

I did ponder going to the City Square for the New Year's Eve festivities, but the temperature was about -4 C by 5 pm, so I watched it on TV instead. You can also do a half-day trip to Auschwitz, which was extremely interesting, but obviously not fun.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:20 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
    Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:52 pm
    We will all be cheering you on in these tournaments Tim.
    When are you playing John Cooper online next?
    I beat John a few years ago in the League Cup when I played 1.b6 with black. Perhaps you could try that.
    Hope too see you at our local Blackpool Chess Congress in the future.
    Ha! No idea re John Cooper. These days I only play corr chess when invited to play for a team. But if you want to see how I got on against your friend: https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2020/06/ ... chess.html

Brian Valentine

Post by Brian Valentine » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:52 am

We had to fix that glitch. Matt Carr's heroics in getting Blackpool graded have now been rewarded by inclusion on the website.