(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Sellen

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by John Sellen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanks Matt

The ECF guidelines that have just come out would seem, on first reading, to rule out any OTB congresses going ahead at the moment
Not sure where this leaves Fareham and Northumberland
Its all a difficult and depressing situation

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:13 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:01 pm
The ECF guidelines that have just come out would seem, on first reading, to rule out any OTB congresses going ahead at the moment
Also for that matter club competitions and matches if they involve any more than six players.

Some venues are not opposed in principle to gatherings of more than six. Any thoughts on creative measures to notionally divide up a chess evening in ways that would satisfy a passing COVID warden?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:17 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Thanks Matt

It leaves Fareham and Northumberland to make their own decisions. It may mean that they choose to listen to the advice they receive from the ECF. But that remains their decision.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:47 pm

Thanks Roger
A brown envelope filled with banknotes might satisfy a passing COVID warden !!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Given that their is no extra cash for these "COVID marshals" and they will have no powers to actually do anything, maybe a paper tiger anyway?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Czech Airlines have just cancelled my flights for Pardubice for covid-19 reasons. (Chess) Life Not Returning To Normal.
I'm flying with my friend at 2.30 on Sunday from Luton Airport with Easy Jet, Tim.

Someone (apologies but I forget who) said elsewhere that Brits aren't allowed into Hungary. I intend playing in October's 1st Saturday event, and I have a letter of invitation from the organiser and federation. There are one or two other technicalities but hopefully all will be well.

For what it's worth I had Covid in April but am now fully recovered except that my sense of smell never returned.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:41 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:22 pm
Czech Airlines have just cancelled my flights for Pardubice for covid-19 reasons. (Chess) Life Not Returning To Normal.
I'm flying with my friend at 2.30 on Sunday from Luton Airport with Easy Jet, Tim.

Someone (apologies but I forget who) said elsewhere that Brits aren't allowed into Hungary. I intend playing in October's 1st Saturday event, and I have a letter of invitation from the organiser and federation. There are one or two other technicalities but hopefully all will be well.

For what it's worth I had Covid in April but am now fully recovered except that my sense of smell never returned.
Ha! This confirms my belief there's always a way round these things if one has enough knowledge and/or knows the right people.
Presumably you'll be going straight from Pardubice to Budapest without returning home? I am thinking of doing something similar with Hradec Kralove and Brno in November, but haven't made any plans yet.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:17 pm
John Sellen wrote:
Thanks Matt

It leaves Fareham and Northumberland to make their own decisions. It may mean that they choose to listen to the advice they receive from the ECF. But that remains their decision.
Don't shoot the messenger.
As far as I know Northumberland, Fareham and Harrogate are all still going ahead as planned.
They are still accepting entries.
Northumberland Congress has increased to 60.
2 withdrew.
3 new entries: Martin Haymer and 2 people about 190 grade from Lewisham
Fareham Congress count still stands at 19.
Harrogate Congress entries have increased aswell.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 am

They may still be open, but I think the outlook looks bleak.
The rule of 6 leaves little wriggle room to organise a tournament (dividing a tournament into pools of 6, all play all, is a way to ensure your bubble stay at 6) but more crucially, the transmission rates are no longer benign as they were in summer.

I'll decide a couple of days before Northumberland whether it is worth the risk.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am

Think it’s fine to run a Congress with unlimited players as long as you

1) Badge it as a protest (against COVID restrictions maybe?)
2) put in place social distancing measures and carry out risk assessments
3) Make sure that players don’t “mingle”

The slightly more far fetched alternative is to claim it is “elite sporting competition”.

Just being creative...

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am
As far as I know Northumberland, Fareham and Harrogate are all still going ahead as planned.
The government have just shot the messenger.
According to the new legislation it is now illegal to organise or participate in a chess congress, club evening or league match with more than 6 participants.
Get ready to pay your £100 fines!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:42 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 am
I'm on that one too.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:45 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:16 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:51 am
The government have just shot the messenger.
According to the new legislation it is now illegal to organise or participate in a chess congress, club evening or league match with more than 6 participants.
Get ready to pay your £100 fines!
I am sure that we are all very grateful that you have been able to read through this document https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -framework

and summarize it for us.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:51 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:45 am
I am sure that we are all very grateful that you have been able to read through this document https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -framework
In that document it says
Each individual sport will submit to the government (Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport) an action plan and any related guidance, demonstrating its mitigations, how it plans to operate, and any adaptations required.
Has the ECF done this? Even if it did, would DCMS take any notice, given that chess is not legally classified as a sport?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am

Well, Northumberland Chess Congress must have submitted their procedures to the local authority in order to rent their venue. Obviously they took notice because the event has been allowed to proceed.