(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:07 pm

I forgot to mention. One tournament that I am definitely planning to enter next year, all being well, is Northumberland Chess Congress.
From what I've seen on various websites, the only OTB Congress that is still going ahead in England over the next couple of months is Harrogate.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 am
The scientific press conference today was quite sobering. The doubling of infection rates each week heading in the direction of 50,000 cases a day by mid-October if unchecked. For chess I’d think over the board chess will remain quite limited until people receive a vaccine, and feel confident it’s making them safe. Perhaps by Autumn next year people will start to get a choice of some congresses to attend again, but who knows?
An alternative prognosis on the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54228649

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm

There seems to be an OTB event going ahead tomorrow in London, unless I am reading something incorrectly:

http://muswellhillchess.blogspot.com/

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:41 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:33 pm
There seems to be an OTB event going ahead tomorrow in London, unless I am reading something incorrectly:

http://muswellhillchess.blogspot.com/
I think all the Chess England events are still online.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Best of luck to Tim and Nick at Pardubice.
We will all be cheering you both on.
If you both can keep us regularly informed on the forum as to how the tournament is going.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm

In Wales you have to have express permission of the WCU for any over the board chess; https://www.welshchessunion.uk/covid19/ ... ard-chess/

Hopefully the resignation of the Czech Health Minister yesterday doesn’t mean they will be bringing the hammer down this week.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/czech-health- ... 24304.html
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm

According to the Chess Scotland and Welsh Chess Union websites there is no OTB chess tournaments going ahead before Christmas.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 pm
Best of luck to Tim and Nick at Pardubice.
We will all be cheering you both on.
If you both can keep us regularly informed on the forum as to how the tournament is going.
Thanks Simon, but actually I won't be blogging the tournament in any form (at least while it is going on). I have had such a bad run of results in my last few tournaments that I've decided to see if not analysing my games and posting about them will help my results. It had got to the stage where I was spending more time analysing after a game than during it. That is probably a good thing if done at the right time, but I think doing it during a tournament may be tiring myself out (a bit like studying during a tournament). Anyway, I intend to give my new system a trial.
Last edited by IM Jack Rudd on Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove a whole load of underlining

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:25 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm
An alternative prognosis on the BBC
Looks as if he's been talking to the scientific opposition, those based at Oxford University. The government appears to take a lead from Imperial College in London.

Larger gatherings do still seem a problem for spread. One of the latest appears to be the Manchester police attending a golf day.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-18967254

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:35 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm
In Wales you have to have express permission of the WCU for any over the board chess; https://www.welshchessunion.uk/covid19/ ... ard-chess/
That's very prescriptive, although the approach of the Welsh Government appears more stringent e.g. although here in Bolton pubs and restaurants are takeaway only, and shut at 10 pm, at least we can leave the area, whereas the Welsh local lockdowns only allow travel for work and school

Since parts of North Wales are in the jurisdiction of the ECF for chess purposes, do the ECF see the situation differently to the WCU?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Why does parts of North Wales come under the jurisdiction of the ECF for Chess purposes?
I've always wondered.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm
Why does parts of North Wales come under the jurisdiction of the ECF for Chess purposes?
I've always wondered.
You can read about this in a book by the late Richard Furness arriving on Amazon this week:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheshire-hundr ... B0007BK0NE

I recall that jurisdiction over the North Wales area was enshrined in a document of the British Isles Co-ordinating Committee which someone might have. I see that the National Library of Wales may have a copy of the minutes filed somewhere.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:16 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:44 am
Chris Goodall wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:09 pm

=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2," ","")
*sort*

Kiel********-P***********, Dominic, of Coulsdon.
Thanks Chris, you saved my skin.
I've not found the shortest one yet, perhaps you could help.
The players with the shortest names on the fide list are all Chinese.
Li Wu, Isle of Man.
Thanks Chris.
Li Wu has just entered the Manx Chess Championship, thus increasing the number of entrants to 17. He is also currently number one seed.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:13 pm

I see Tim won his first game. As did Keith Arkell in the A open.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:56 pm

From the BBC account of the PM's speech today:

The PM then announces there will be new places where face coverings will be required.
Staff in the hospitality and retail sectors will now need to wear them, as well as passengers travelling in taxis.
The exemptions to the “rule of six” will be cut down. For example, people doing indoor team sports will now not be allowed.
And when it comes to weddings, the limit on guests will now reduce from 30 to 15.

This would seem to make chess congresses even less likely, but three-board club matches still possible, probably