(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:07 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:40 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 pm
The newly appointed Czech health minister is announcing restrictions later this week to limit indoor events to 50 people, so there might be potential for impact on the chess event.
There was a similar issue back in March during the Seniors team event. The initial response was separate rooms and a ban on spectators. Later the event was terminated a couple of rounds short of normal completion.
Same at Bad Woerishofen in March, where we were told the last round would probably not be allowed to go ahead, but during the evening before the morning start an exemption was granted
I think the new changes will be announced at 11am today. There’s a number of other changes set to come in tomorrow, so perhaps everything will be set to come in together.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:12 am

If new Czech restrictions mean Nick has to wear a mask, I am willing to pay for it

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am

This is Reuters' take on the to-be-announced restrictions:

Health Minister Roman Prymula, in a televised interview, said closing hours for bars would be moved up to 10 p.m. from midnight as of Thursday, when stricter limits on the number of participants at sporting events will also kick in.
He said that limit would be set at 2,000 seated spectators, down from around 10,000. The health ministry planned to issue further details on the new curbs, to be in place for a trial period of 14 days, at 1 p.m. (1100 GMT) on Wednesday, he said.
[No mention here of new facemask requirements or of further limiting participants - perhaps we will learn more today]

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:18 pm

New restrictions not so tough:

A limit of 50 people has been placed on outdoor events with no seating room, new Czech Health Minister Roman Prymula has announced at a press conference this afternoon.
Prymula also confirmed two earlier-reported restrictions during the conference, a limit of 2,000 spectators at outdoor sporting events, and a new closing time of 10 p.m. for bars and restaurants across the Czech Republic.
[From expats.cz]

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:41 am

I noticed that my local football club, Stafford Rangers, has had crowds at its matches this week. 300 away at Worcester and 595 at home last weekend. It seemed slightly strange given the restrictions elsewhere.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:32 am
No mention here of new facemask requirements or of further limiting participants
What would you expect, Roman Prymula's a chess player! https://ratings.fide.com/profile/301574

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
No mention here of new facemask requirements or of further limiting participants
What would you expect, Roman Prymula's a chess player! https://ratings.fide.com/profile/301574
Good spot! Looking at his activity, he played as recently as January - at least his rating changed in February - and he played at last year's Czech Open in Pardubice

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:07 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:05 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:00 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Good spot! Looking at his activity, he played as recently as January - at least his rating changed in February - and he played at last year's Czech Open in Pardubice
In case anyone's doubting, it is the same guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Pry ... Prymula%20(born%204%20April,agent%20for%20science%20and%20research.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:41 am
I noticed that my local football club, Stafford Rangers, has had crowds at its matches this week. 300 away at Worcester and 595 at home last weekend. It seemed slightly strange given the restrictions elsewhere.
I think the "no spectators" rule only applies from National Conference level upwards, I presume overall crowd sizes are the significant factor.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:29 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:17 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
I think the "no spectators" rule only applies from National Conference level upwards, I presume overall crowd sizes are the significant factor.
Yes, that must be the case and the team has made sure of being well below that level in recent times :(

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:06 pm

I never managed to visit Marston Road although Stafford Rangers were the last club to host Wycombe Wanderers before promotion to the Football League. Stafford finished sixth that season. Our last league match was a defeat at home to Macclesfield. Barrow were missing from the Conference that season, but I had a memorable trip to Holker Street for one of Martin O'Neill's first games in charge. The train came under fire from a local youth somewhere on route. :)

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:09 pm

Below the National League (Conference) spectators are allowed, subject to COVID security. I was one of 384 at Hastings United on Tuesday evening. Tickets only by online advance booking (with ground capacity reduced), my name checked off on arrival, extra stewarding, new protocols for access to bar and toilets, social distancing encouraged; enforced with a light touch in the seated area but harder to do that in standing areas where movement is fluid. No ball boys/girls, no inter-team handshake line-up before start.

PB

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:41 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Worcester was a cup match; they are in tier 9, so they have a maximum capacity of 300 at the moment

Stafford Rangers are at a level where crowds of up to 600 are allowed (they are in the same league as Radcliffe Borough, where Bury AFC share a ground; Radcliffe are allowed 600 as their capacity, whereas we are allowed only 300, as the 30% capacity limit is restricted to the minimum ground size at the particular tier, rather than the actual capacity of any given stadium)

Whether the pyramid actually works, of course, is somewhat in doubt, given that most clubs in National League North don't want to play without fans

Clubs below National League North/South can continue with fans
Sports Minister Huddleston also confirmed that non-elite sports, including football below National Leagues North and South, will be able to continue allowing spectators
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm

"Clubs below National League North/South can continue with fans"

My former local club can't be bothered to update their website so I assume they don't care about fans... (I've still no idea what their FA Cup result was, except their opponents played the next round.)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Maybe they have furloughed the webmaster
Any postings on here represent my personal views