(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nick Grey

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 pm

Good to know that Kevin.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:14 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:45 pm
John/Simon, I speak to my GP and nurses too. They are pieved that they have been barred from prioritising their customers until now.

But have spoken to me in the street saying at least I am not going to pick up a bug from children or chessplayers by not meeting them.
It wasn't a criticism Nick. I misread your text. I thought for some reason you worked in the NHS.
Apologies.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:41 pm

I am fine. We cannot return to normal until football returns to normal. Scorelines like the 1960s and earlier.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:48 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:41 pm
I am fine. We cannot return to normal until football returns to normal. Scorelines like the 1960s and earlier.
If it's ok with you, I'll send you a PM the next few days.
I tried sending you one mid June, along with the other Nicks at the same time but I am not sure if you received it or not.
Sadly I need to post yet another Death and Obituary before my phone battery runs out.
It's been such a tough year.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 pm

Ok until about 3 years ago the flu vaccine for the 50 to 64 year olds with chronic conditions was the same as for the 65+ but now it's a different vaccine

Not sure which one will be given to those of us 50+ but I am told GPs have been trying to source more vaccines for a while

If you had to vaccinate everyone against Covid 19, and the distribution of the vaccine was massively more efficient than with flu vaccines, it would appear likely to take many months to administer. If it needs a booster after 1 month as applied recently to the Oxford trial, that effectively doubles the time frame
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:33 pm
Ok until about 3 years ago the flu vaccine for the 50 to 64 year olds with chronic conditions was the same as for the 65+ but now it's a different vaccine

Not sure which one will be given to those of us 50+ but I am told GPs have been trying to source more vaccines for a while

If you had to vaccinate everyone against Covid 19, and the distribution of the vaccine was massively more efficient than with flu vaccines, it would appear likely to take many months to administer. If it needs a booster after 1 month as applied recently to the Oxford trial, that effectively doubles the time frame
30 million (50+ age group it seems?) the target, says the news today. That's still an awful lot of people to vaccinate!

I do wonder a bit how well that'll work if the vaccine is ultimately only something like 70-80% effective. It'll be interesting to see what the other countries do. No surprise about not doing the U18's of course.

'Impressive' work losing all those positive test results down the back of a sofa last week.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:53 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 am
30 million (50+ age group it seems?) the target, says the news today. That's still an awful lot of people to vaccinate!
30 million would have to include other groups. Many will say no thanks, which will ease the burden.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:48 am

I was wondering how effective the flu vaccine is, so I did some research:-
The NHS says:-
How effective is the flu vaccine?

The flu vaccine gives the best protection against flu.

Flu vaccines help protect against the main types of flu viruses, although there's still a chance you might get flu.

If you do get flu after vaccination, it's likely to be milder and not last as long.

Having the flu vaccine will also stop you spreading flu to other people who may be more at risk of serious problems from flu.

It can take 10 to 14 days for the flu vaccine to work.
Which tells you next to nothing. I know you can still get flu after being vaccinated but I wanted to know how likely it was.

I've had proper flu twice, both times requiring 2 weeks off work. So it can be nasty. The last time was (memorably) the year that Dennis Taylor won the snooker world championship.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:48 am
I know you can still get flu after being vaccinated but I wanted to know how likely it was.
How would they even obtain that information? The anecdotal "it does happen" is probably as good as it gets.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi Phil,

I 've been entitled to this free flu jab for 9 years, not bothered, fear of needles I guess.

Caught flu 3 years ago. (proper flu - man flu) bed ridden and semi-conscious for 5-6 days, the good news is because it
I stopped smoking. I did not relapse at all, just stopped there and then. Good move.

(I had better swing this back to chess else we all get a row.)

I use to enjoy the mid-game fag when you had to go outside for a puff.
You could tell who was winning, losing and those quickly sucking on the weed like it was a straw were approaching time trouble.

And the chat was like strangers waiting on a train discussing the weather.

"How is your game going?"

"not bad.....and you?"

"Not bad."

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm
Phil Neatherway wrote:
I know you can still get flu after being vaccinated but I wanted to know how likely it was.
How would they even obtain that information? The anecdotal "it does happen" is probably as good as it gets.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in America have flu vaccines as 40-60% effective.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:48 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:35 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:06 pm
Phil Neatherway wrote:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in America have flu vaccines as 40-60% effective.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
Not quite - the quote is: recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:03 pm

The first person to create a universal flu vaccine will a an absolute hero(ine)!

The other, very key thing, is that you only ever get individual level protection against flu, because we never vacccinate enough people to stop it spreading through the population. I presume it just doesn't work well enough to bother.

That's nice but collective population level immunity is the real point.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:10 pm

Geoff Chandler >
"How is your game going?"

"not bad.....and you?">

Are there still people who do not realise this is breaking the Laws of chess?

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:38 pm
There is one of those trials starting in Blackpool. There was a feature on the North West News earlier in the week and a lengthy report in the Blackpool Gazette.
I think the newspaper was put in the blue bin a couple of days ago. I'll have to fetch it out before the rain comes.
I've found the Blackpool Gazette report about the Stage 3 vaccine trial that is taking place in our area. It's very lengthy and will take me a long time to type it on my phone.