(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:35 pm

Mark D Podlesak wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:29 pm
There are 1.2 -1.5 Million NHS workers, over 3 Million at 80+ according to earlier age chart. Many others in Vulnerable and age groups. The authorities reporting being pleased with 137,000 Vaccines done this week. I hope rates improve ( I am sure it will) or it will takes years!
I think there’s a new bar chart knocking around on the Sky news feed. This week the NHS managed to administer the first of two doses to 0.19 out of every 100 people in England.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:41 pm

"The authorities reporting being pleased with 137,000 Vaccines done this week. I hope rates improve ( I am sure it will) or it will takes years!"

It's only the starting problem I hope. And trying to do the entire population is not easy! With the flu jab, we used to crowd into the surgery car park and form lines and quickly get jabbed, kicked out the back door and go home. You don't want crowds with this thing. Once they get into the swing of it and get more and different vaccines and people get organized, one hopes it will improve. Unfortunately, I live outside a village in Somerset and I expect such areas will struggle a bit... And you have to do it twice as well.

NickFaulks
Posts: 6138
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:41 pm
You don't want crowds with this thing.
How does 'flu spread?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:24 pm

"How does 'flu spread?"

Same way but usually not as dangerous - they do tell you not to turn up if you think you have flu. Also they try to limit who has the flu jab, and not everyone takes up the offer. Nevertheless, I've been to flu clinics where it's like Victoria Station at rush hour, but not as smelly.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4154
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:01 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 pm
It would be interesting to know the approximate numbers in each group to determine how far down the list I am.
To answer my own question for ages, but not clinical conditions:

UK Age Dist.jpg

(source Office for National Statistics Principal projection - UK population in age groups)
Please also see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833.

I am in Group 5, those aged 65 and over. There are approximately 14 million people ahead of me.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:53 pm

I am in Group 4, cev but hoping to go into Group 6.

Occupational Health wanted Neurology reports on a basis 13 months ago I could recall my chess games of 30 years ago but not those I played in the last month. I played well at the London chess classic. I slowed down.

My dad had cancer of the brain and 2 months to live and that was not helping my brain. About 200 at the funeral but low limits on numbers 2 weeks later and that is 9 months ago.

I am hoping to get my partner into Group 4. She is recovering from a stroke. So vaccines at the same time and we will all be OK for the summer. The cost of playing chess will go up. But so will everything else.

Stay safe and I hope to see you all in 2021.

John Moore
Posts: 2062
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by John Moore » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:11 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:53 pm
I am in Group 4, cev but hoping to go into Group 6.

Occupational Health wanted Neurology reports on a basis 13 months ago I could recall my chess games of 30 years ago but not those I played in the last month. I played well at the London chess classic. I slowed down.

My dad had cancer of the brain and 2 months to live and that was not helping my brain. About 200 at the funeral but low limits on numbers 2 weeks later and that is 9 months ago.

I am hoping to get my partner into Group 4. She is recovering from a stroke. So vaccines at the same time and we will all be OK for the summer. The cost of playing chess will go up. But so will everything else.

Stay safe and I hope to see you all in 2021.
Nick, I am confused. You say that you are in Group 4 but hoping to go into Group 6 - that would delay your having the vaccine.

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 4223
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 pm

jOHN >Nick, I am confused. You say that you are in Group 4 but hoping to go into Group 6 - that would delay your having the vaccine.
Top<
But that would mean h is viwed as being healthier.
I an in tier 2 due to being over 80.

Roger de Coverly
Posts: 19263
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:59 pm
I an in tier 2 due to being over 80.
One might wonder whether it will be permitted to open up Senior tournaments before other forms of OTB chess. Arbiters of similar ages to the participants presumably needed as well.

NickFaulks
Posts: 6138
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm
One might wonder whether it will be permitted to open up Senior tournaments before other forms of OTB chess. Arbiters of similar ages to the participants presumably needed as well.
Very funny. Even if Covid is eliminated, our elderly can now look forward to spending the rest of their lives in solitary confinement lest they catch something else.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:45 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm
One might wonder whether it will be permitted to open up Senior tournaments before other forms of OTB chess. Arbiters of similar ages to the participants presumably needed as well.
Yes; the English Seniors was postponed at end April, maybe 12 months on it would be possible?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1021
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:02 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:53 pm
I am in Group 4, cev but hoping to go into Group 6.

Occupational Health wanted Neurology reports on a basis 13 months ago I could recall my chess games of 30 years ago but not those I played in the last month. I played well at the London chess classic. I slowed down.

My dad had cancer of the brain and 2 months to live and that was not helping my brain. About 200 at the funeral but low limits on numbers 2 weeks later and that is 9 months ago.

I am hoping to get my partner into Group 4. She is recovering from a stroke. So vaccines at the same time and we will all be OK for the summer. The cost of playing chess will go up. But so will everything else.

Stay safe and I hope to see you all in 2021.
Hi Nick.
Although sometimes we have not seen eye to eye.
I'm sure I am speaking on behalf of all forum members that we are sorry to hear about your family health issues and we are all thinking of you at this difficult time.
Have a safe and peaceful Christmas and New Year.
Simon.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:33 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:37 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:01 am
Ian Thompson wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:59 pm

It would be interesting to know the approximate numbers in each group to determine how far down the list I am.
To answer my own question for ages, but not clinical conditions:

UK Age Dist.jpg

(source Office for National Statistics Principal projection - UK population in age groups)
Please also see https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833.

I am in Group 5, those aged 65 and over. There are approximately 14 million people ahead of me.
There's a calculator you can use to work out when you might get the vaccine

Current position in Liverpool is no more vaccine appointments to be booked until next vaccine supply arrives next month
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Nick Grey
Posts: 1713
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Nick Grey » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Tier 4 - is a new and harder regime. Christmas No way and vaccine may not arrive.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3576
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:22 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:54 pm
Tier 4 - is a new and harder regime. Christmas No way and vaccine may not arrive.
What, ever?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Post Reply