(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:37 pm

I think that one "of" at the end of that quote should be something else?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:02 pm
I thought the vaccine did not prevent you getting covid-19 or passing it on to other people. I thought it reduced the chances of you becoming seriously ill if you did catch it. If that's right, the Indonesian approach won't work.
The BBC report on the Indonesian approach has
Most elderly people in Indonesia live in intergenerational households, and isolating them from the rest of the family is often impossible.
which is similar to what we see here in some communities where the virus spreads
But this relies on the vaccine preventing people from carrying the virus and passing it on.

"We simply don't have that information yet," said Professor Robert Read, a member of the vaccination and immunisation committee (JCVI) that advises the UK health departments on immunisation.

"The reason the UK hasn't gone for the younger population, of course, is that A, they don't get such a severe disease and B, we haven't been able to demonstrate yet that the vaccines have any impact at all on transmission," he said.

The Indonesia approach, he said, would need a very high vaccine uptake - "at least 50% in all likelihood, to stop death and hospitalisation in their older population".

"It's possible that if they get very high coverage rates then there will be some impact on transmission, although we haven't seen it obviously yet."
"It's not for us in rich Western countries to tell other countries around the world what they should be doing". He said he thought the Indonesian approach "may be the right thing for their country", and pointed out that globally everyone is uncertain what the right thing to do is at the moment.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:37 pm
I think that one "of" at the end of that quote should be something else?
'and' would make sense.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm

"It's not for us in rich Western countries to tell other countries around the world what they should be doing". He said he thought the Indonesian approach "may be the right thing for their country", and pointed out that globally everyone is uncertain what the right thing to do is at the moment."
Particularly because of -
The ‘clear problem’ with the global vaccine rollout, according to the WHO...
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/problem-globa ... 50319.html

All of which means this virus will remain embeded in the world and able to reenter the UK and other "rich" countries in the future - making yearly vaccination programmes against it, similar to those against flu, a distinct possibility.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am

Over-50s rush to book holidays as vaccine boosts confidence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55654127

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:33 am

BBC update on immunity:

Most people who have had Covid-19 are protected from catching it again for at least five months, a study led by Public Health England shows.
Past infection was linked to an 83% lower risk of getting the virus, compared with those who had never had Covid-19, scientists found.
But experts warn some people do catch Covid-19 again - and can infect others.
And officials stress people should follow the stay-at-home rules - whether or not they have had the virus.
'Save lives'
Prof Susan Hopkins, who led the study, said the results were encouraging, suggesting immunity lasted longer than some people feared, but protection was by no means absolute.
It was particularly concerning some of those reinfected had high levels of the virus - even without symptoms - and were at risk of passing it on to others, she said.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:30 am
It's possible to book hotel accommodation in Torquay for the announced dates of the British Championship Congress. But how high is the confidence that the event will take place in its normal format, or indeed any over the board format?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:15 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
It's possible to book hotel accommodation in Torquay for the announced dates of the British Championship Congress. But how high is the confidence that the event will take place in its normal format, or indeed any over the board format?
That's the big question. I guess one option, where available, is to make a booking that allows a penalty-free cancellation

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am

I've been informed from a reliable source that Blackpool Congress 12th to 14th March has been cancelled. No confirmation on the website yet though.
I need to disappear down below to a different category with some sad news.
Any extra information for what I'll will post next will be much appreciated. One person beat the late Gennady Kuzmin.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tim Spanton wrote:
Not enough for me.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am
I've been informed from a reliable source that Blackpool Congress 12th to 14th March has been cancelled. No confirmation on the website yet though.
Any extra information for what I'll will post next will be much appreciated. One person beat the late Gennady Kuzmin.
More than one person managed that, surely?

I did post about his death soon after it happened, there were no replies which slightly surprised me given how strong he once was.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:17 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:44 am
More than one person managed that, surely?

I did post about his death soon after it happened, there were no replies which slightly surprised me given how strong he once was.
Sorry Matt. I meant one of the deaths that I am going to report. My phone ran out of battery. It's fully charged now. I've got a new and quicker charger.
I'll add on a reply.
When you reported it, I wasn't part of the forum.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:11 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm
This was expected.
Lets see if the website gets updated.
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Travel may still be problematic as well as booking accommodation.
Hopefully an up to date announcement about "The British" will be made soon.
Paul Robert Jackson

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:16 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:48 pm
New Zealand Chess Championships
Open Section
Round 9 Pairings
Points in brackets
1. FM Nicholas Croad (6.5) v (5) CM David Cilia Vincenti
2. Felix Xie (5.5) v (6) FM Ben Hague
3. IM Anthony Ker (5.5) v (5) FM Robert Smith
4. Sashikumar (4.5) v (5) FM Leonard McLaren
5. IM Russell Dive (4.5) v (4.5) Dylan Tama Piwari
9. Patrick Cunningham (2) v (3.5) CM Helen Milligan
Nic Croad won with 7.5/9. You can't see it in the photo but his little son Arthur on his left is holding a miniature of the winning trophy which Nic gets to keep.

Thanks for the picture Chris, nice trophy.
Here are some more results:
1st FM Nicholas Croad 7.5/9
2nd FM Ben Hague 6.5/9
3rd Felix Xie, IM Anthony Ker, FM Leonard McLaren 6/9

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:05 pm

"The 8 key upcoming dates in Britain's 2021 COVID battle..."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eight-key-dat ... 41055.html