(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:09 pm

Chess is back. Playing once or twice a week, with new players coming in and old returning. Fantastic to go to Ilkley Chess Centre yesterday with our new Huddersfield & Holmfirth team (that team last existed in the 1880s!) With 6 players 18 or under in both teams. At 43, I was one of the more senior players. Enjoying the re-emergence of chess post lockdown.
Last edited by Stephen Westmoreland on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HDCA President

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:39 pm

Which is good :) (new players are a very good thing indeed!).

I would say that it's starting to come back rather than back. We need to leave something to celebrate next Spring :)

Despite the huge organisational efforts - which I do appreciate! - league chess at least is still objectively quite compromised at the moment. The match experience isn't quite the same yet, either.

I'll be very interested to see how the 4ncl 3/3N get on.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:44 pm

I just look for positives. There are plenty, especially the new juniors and adults.
HDCA President

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:36 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:39 pm
Which is good :) (new players are a very good thing indeed!).

I would say that it's starting to come back rather than back. We need to leave something to celebrate next Spring :)

Despite the huge organisational efforts - which I do appreciate! - league chess at least is still objectively quite compromised at the moment. The match experience isn't quite the same yet, either.

I'll be very interested to see how the 4ncl 3/3N get on.
Experiences vary. The Central London League is running as normal, as far as I can tell, while my London club Battersea has seen a big rise in membership (up a third, I believe) despite membership fees doubling.
I played at Fareham this weekend in the open section, which had a record entry (or near-record, the organiser, Tony Corfe, was not sure).
Next week I am playing in Mallorca, which has had to close its doors to new entries, having reached 100 (against about 63 last year)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:00 pm

Just at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club at the moment. 3 new members tonight. Another 3 or 4 coming next week.
We have also gained 3 from Bispham Chess Club the last couple of weeks because their league team has folded.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:33 pm

I note in certain areas that membership is getting older and club are collapsing as a result of new people not coming in. We can really revive things post lockdown with this new membership. Perhaps also do thing differently this time and ensure better continuity. Getting more women involved in particular. That means a bunch of us diverting from out own play. It will be worth it though.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:14 pm

I have found another Rapidplay taking place before Christmas. I will post a new topic for it in Congress Diary after I had my tea.
So keep your eyes peeled.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 pm

I've just got back from a great evening at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club. We had another two new people turn up.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:27 pm

I've just posted a brand new Rapidplay event taking place in Leyland, Lancashire, Friday 5th November, in the Congress Diary Category.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:02 pm

Starting to slip downhill a bit worryingly. Purely subjectively I think this is probably already past my personal tolerance level for bothering with FtF chess.

It obviously won't be for everyone though. The more serious worry is that if it does stay around this level, or higher, by the time flu starts to join in then it'll be really rough. Wouldn't be at all surprised we do end up suspending it for a bit.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:03 pm

I do not feel able to play FtF - yet, at least. Infections of the virus are rising and playing FtF gives it a finite chance of infecting me - although I have been double-vaccinated, and whether or not I and opponents have had a negative LFT, wear a mask (and I find resistance to doing so bizarre) and the room is well ventilated.
I have a health condition which means it could be more serious for me and I frequently mix with older, more vulnerable people and my 99-y-o FiL. I cannot accept the risk of passing it on.
Yes - obviously my choice - helped by the excellent online options - but no, chess is not back to normal - and nor should it be.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:26 pm

Government has said there will be no more lockdowns (I know, but still)

Of course people may decide they still don't feel safe enough to play. Though if you have been double jabbed, with a booster to come fairly soon (for older people - ie most OTB chess players in Britain - at least) I suspect that most will feel that they want to carry on.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:34 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:26 pm
Though if you have been double jabbed, with a booster to come fairly soon (for older people - ie most OTB chess players in Britain - at least) I suspect that most will feel that they want to carry on.
One thing that alarms me is the suggestion that for under 18s, it may be safer to allow them to catch COVID than to be vaccinated. It may well be that for them a two in a million chance is double that of a one in a million chance, but if there's paranoia about associating with the unvaccinated, that applies to juniors as well.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:47 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Government has said there will be no more lockdowns (I know, but still)
Proper lockdowns, no. Plan B measures do seem likely at some point as things are going (See endless medics this morning.). Experience obviously suggests that the resulting technical legal position is going to be hopelessly vague :(

So it might come down to what people think is in the spirit, which could get very messy indeed.
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Of course people may decide they still don't feel safe enough to play. Though if you have been double jabbed, with a booster to come fairly soon (for older people - ie most OTB chess players in Britain - at least) I suspect that most will feel that they want to carry on.
Leagues seem to be, as things stand, running at 1/2-3/4's of normal players. If it gets worse you'd expect those numbers to shift down a bit. Maybe. Goodness knows!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:01 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:47 pm
Leagues seem to be, as things stand, running at 1/2-3/4's of normal players.
Nationally known Weekend Congresses on the other hand, perhaps because of their relative scarcity, are running at well above normal and hitting capacity limits.