(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Habershon

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:58 pm
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 am
It is remarkable the number of people coming forwards in their 50s and 60s, who played chess at school and returned during lockdown. Those who tried online then wanted OTB. There is a definite surge in kids wanting to play and we have three ready for adult club play (but school / bed times presently get in the way). Oddly enough COVID has helped us grow but keeping the drive going will be another matter.
A decent night at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club last night. Another two new players turned up. I believe both in their 50s and one starting next Monday.
A couple starting at Cleveleys Juniors on Thursday.
It is brilliant. We had four new players in two weeks at Holmfirth, with 16 adults in last Wednesday and an impromptu night on Monday with eight. Tomorrow the Examiner Handicap league starts, with my 12 year old son on debut. Very proud and nervous Dad moment.
I play chess and bridge at separate clubs in Bedford. Both have returned to F2F play since July 19th. Bridge attendance has stubbornly remained at half or less than pre-pandemic levels whereas Bedford Chess Club has slightly increased membership and attendance. A possible explanation is the slightly younger average age at the chess club. I think also that many bridge players developed a taste for online play during lockdowns when they had never even considered it before. They found the technological hurdles easier than expected to surmount. The RealBridge platform, requiring microphone and camera (built in automatically to most laptops), has proved very popular. For some it beats winter weather and driving in the dark. The fears of bridge online cheating are almost non-existent compared with chess.

I have heard of no Covid cases at the bridge club and just one recent mild one at chess. The Bedfordshire Chess League has been up and running since November with a slight reduction in teams. East Anglian county chess has resumed normally except for teams of 12 not 16, but county bridge remains online.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:11 am

Meanwhile things not so back-to-normal elsewhere (from ChessBase today):

An eventful seventh round in Wijk aan Zee saw Daniil Dubov forfeiting his game against Anish Giri after declining to wear a mask during the game as requested by the organizers — someone in the Russian’s inner circle had tested positive for Covid-19.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:46 pm

Would anyone be aware of tournaments held around Feb 19-27th (roughly) in a European country that does not require vaccination for 12 year olds (My son will turn 12 and will not have time to be fully vaccinated)? (e.g. Cannes is not possible as he would need to spend 10 days in strict isolation)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:46 pm
Would anyone be aware of tournaments held around Feb 19-27th (roughly) in a European country that does not require vaccination for 12 year olds (My son will turn 12 and will not have time to be fully vaccinated)? (e.g. Cannes is not possible as he would need to spend 10 days in strict isolation)
Have you asked about a place for Theo in Tim Wall's Fide-rated Youth Training Tournament on 23-27 Feb? That would seem the most realistic option if available, and would mean he could also play for a 4NCL team on the mid-February weekend.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:42 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
https://www.fide.com/calendar/51679

Norway seem to be civilised with regard to children. I know nothing about this event.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:55 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Have you asked about a place for Theo in Tim Wall's Fide-rated Youth Training Tournament on 23-27 Feb? That would seem the most realistic option if available, and would mean he could also play for a 4NCL team on the mid-February weekend.
Yes I am aware of it, will need to keep an eye on the participants' list: last time I believe the average rating was sub 1800 and I'd prefer him to play in a 2000+ average tournament if possible.

I'll look into the Norway one.

I may in the end run another tournament myself in the UK.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:25 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:29 pm
Theo could do that anyway, surely? The 4NCL weekend is on 12th to 13th February.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:32 pm

Yes, he'll play the 4NCL week-end (2 games I believe).

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 pm

Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am
Thank you. He lost but came out of it enthusiastic for more.
The important thing is that he enjoyed it. Sounds like your son has caught the chess bug.
I am pleased to report that we had yet another two players come to Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club tonight.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:48 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 pm
The important thing is that he enjoyed it. Sounds like your son has caught the chess bug.
I am pleased to report that we had yet another two players come to Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club tonight.
Awesome. Just found out about a pub 15 mins away that has started a club. We are coming back stronger. Would love to come see your club.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:24 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
Southend Easter congress returning: https://southendchesscongress.org/
Eyes down to Congress Diary.
Here come some more presents 🎁

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:03 pm

Given that apart from the 4NCL there are few opportunities for standard OtB chess this February, I will be organising a 6 rounds 60+30 tournament (ECF and fide rated) near Oxford.

See details in the Congress section of the forum.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:48 pm

The Huddersfield Chess League continues to go strong with a match tonight between Honley and Huddersfield with 12 players. Over at Holmfirth we had 7 juniors and 12 adults in (14 adults the other week), with a match scheduled for Saturday against Ilkley in the Yorkshire League. It seems a new club has launched nearby as well Chess is not returning to normal but coming back a lot stronger.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:30 pm

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:48 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:36 pm
Awesome. Just found out about a pub 15 mins away that has started a club. We are coming back stronger. Would love to come see your club.
Yeah it will be good to see you at Poulton-le-Fylde or Cleveleys Juniors Chess Clubs.
I am pleased to report we had another two new Juniors at Cleveleys tonight.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:20 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
Southend Easter congress returning: https://southendchesscongress.org/
Here are some more presents 🎁 for you Tim coming for the Congress Diary Category, including information about Blackpool.