(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:24 pm

I am very sorry to say, I have a fair number of Deaths and Obituaries still to report.
I will post them gradually during the week.
There are two who are particularly well known in the North of England and Scotland.
I will probably need some help from you adding on a couple of links. Will keep you all informed.
On the Graham Lightfoot Obituary, I found the picture very interesting. Thanks Mick for adding the link.
As anyone identified who is in the picture?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Something for organisers to think about - an Easter-style four-day tournament in June 2022?

(From BBC News):
A "once-in-a-generation show" over a four-day bank holiday weekend will mark the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022.
The Queen, 94, hopes as many people as possible across the UK will have the opportunity to join the celebrations, Buckingham Palace said.
She will have reigned for 70 years on 6 February 2022 but plans are in place to stage a series of events from 2-5 June.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:42 pm

I'm very sorry to say, I have another eight Deaths and Obituaries to report. I'm having trouble with adding the links.
My smartphone is quite old.
If someone could add on the links from the Guardian and the link for the tribute for Sam Scurfield on the Yorkshire Chess Association website, it will be much appreciated.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:55 pm

That's all the Deaths and Obituaries reported, apart from one in southern Scotland. Feel free if any of you want to add on links or posts.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 am

I sent you one ...you missed.

Regards

Martin
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 am

Martin Crichton wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:04 am
I sent you one ...you missed.

Regards

Martin
Apologies Martin. I have a backlog of PMs I've not been through yet. I'm still learning how to reply to PMs. I accidentally deleted one. I only learnt by chance a couple of weeks ago how to edit posts.
It might be better that you report the death.
Apologies all, aswell as the south of Scotland death to report, I've have sadly found 4 deaths from the North West of England to report. 2 of them I had played at Congresses over the last few years.
There are two deaths, which I won't report, whose partners are still playing Chess at the same club.
I've also discovered a death which was suicide, which I will not report either.
Through a link I've discovered that two Ukrainian Chess Champions died in Moscow earlier this year possibly March,from taking Nitrous oxide.
Has it been reported to the forum yet? I might have missed it, couldn't find it on Deaths and Obituaries.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:17 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 am
Through a link I've discovered that two Ukrainian Chess Champions died in Moscow earlier this year possibly March,from taking Nitrous oxide.
Has it been reported to the forum yet? I might have missed it, couldn't find it on Deaths and Obituaries.
It had been reported in mainstream media.

A search for "ukraine chess death moscow" should find those reports.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:17 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 am
It had been reported in mainstream media.

A search for "ukraine chess death moscow" should find those reports.
Thanks Roger
It was posted on the Aigburth Chess Club facebook page as a link on the 6th March.
There is also a post dated 18th March about some Salford Red Devils Rugby League players with a Chess set from the BBC News.
Anyway here are the websites:
www. facebook.com/AigburthChess/
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51767082
Stanislav Bogdanovich and Alexandra Vernigora

We had a former female Ukrainian Chess Champion at our club recently. She sadly moved up to Ayrshire at the end of last year.
She became a Candidate Master when she was a junior.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Let's hope the test comes back negative.
It did, though a little surprised it took 49 hours, although it is the weekend; that's the 3rd negative test I've had now, not sure it tells me anything really
Had another test yesterday @ 12:30; negative test result today just after 10 am, so speeding up
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:48 pm

Do you have to pay for these tests?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:13 am

No

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:25 am

Have people started thinking of planning for Autumn 2021/22 yet?

With the vaccine (and likely others as same targets etc) coming through, it looks to be a pretty good bet that we'll finally be clear in time to start a putative 21/22 league season on a roughly normal time scale. That will leave a lot of orphaned 80% complete leagues from the 19/20 season.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:55 am

Yes, guess the question is what to do about those 80% completed seasons

In Manchester, we have 4 cup finals to be played, which seem an obvious starting point, and relatively easy to cope with; the actual leagues have about 12 weeks fixtures to complete, which I think might become impractical

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:52 pm

I'm glad the test has come back negative, Mick.
In the Blackpool and Fylde League, there seems to be plenty of gaps in the fixture list. There are always weeks left blank around the Blackpool and Preston Congresses.
Over the years, fixture numbers have decreased as teams have dropped out and clubs folded. The last few years, in the top division, each club only played six league games.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Depending on vaccine progress made, it *might* be possible to finish those 2019/20 leagues next spring/summer?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)