(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Bloom

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Bloom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:23 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:59 pm
Paul Bloom wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:36 pm
as we are FIDE rated I had no choice
If that's correct, it's because you chose not to have a choice - see the last sentence of Law 11.3.2.2.
I think this would only apply if the device was switched off if just found to be on their person and not declared but clearly off yes a lesser a penalty such as a warning could be applied but once the phone has rung and been answered an electronic device is deemed to have been used . any arbiters like to comment on this matter . given that in the tournament running over a number of weeks is FIDE rated . I am not a Fide arbiter only a national arbiter but there was of course 2 Fide arbiters on site one of which agreed with my decision

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 pm

" I am not a Fide arbiter only a national arbiter but there was of course 2 Fide arbiters on site one of which agreed with my decision"

Does that mean
1) the other one disagreed, or
2) that you only asked one?

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:03 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:50 pm
" I am not a Fide arbiter only a national arbiter but there was of course 2 Fide arbiters on site one of which agreed with my decision"

Does that mean
1) the other one disagreed, or
2) that you only asked one?
I only asked one as the other was playing I am trying to get norms to move to a higher level

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:30 am

"I only asked one as the other was playing I am trying to get norms to move to a higher level "

That's fine - and good luck!

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:44 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:03 pm
I think those are guidelines for Tier 1. In Tier 3, I believe wedding receptions are out and children’s activities such as soft play areas are closed among other things.
Not so, Matt. See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/local-covid ... -very-high. Of course, these are baseline restrictions and there may be additional restrictions imposed in particular Tier 3 areas. Having said that, it would be sensible to undertake a more stringent risk assessment [and act accordingly] in Tier 3 areas than in the lower tiers.
We moved on a bit, but I do think this is the most significant thing to have happened recently. I think the spirit of the law now allows junior chess clubs.

Honestly I think the spirit of the law still excludes adult chess. Of course I understand we all have our own views on how possible and desirabale it is to go ahead anyway.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Let's hope the test comes back negative.
It did, though a little surprised it took 49 hours, although it is the weekend; that's the 3rd negative test I've had now, not sure it tells me anything really
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm sure I am speaking on behalf of all members, that we are pleased it has come back negative.
My brother recieved an email today from school, my niece has been told to self isolate for two weeks as a second pupil in her class has come back positive. She had to isolate last month as someone she sat next to tested positive. Not good as she is in Year 11 and has mocks before Xmas.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:58 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:18 pm
At the moment your chess playing possibilities in comparable tournaments appear to be:

Groningen - going ahead unless something changes to prevent that. Detailed arrangements to be published in September.
Groningen is now going to be cancelled unless the situation in the Netherlands has improved by mid-November.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:03 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:51 pm
Let's hope the test comes back negative.
It did, though a little surprised it took 49 hours, although it is the weekend; that's the 3rd negative test I've had now, not sure it tells me anything really
I had the test a couple of weeks ago....it took 72 hours to get the results back...positive as expected. I am ok now but I had it for 3 weeks and it was quite severe...I could not control my blood temp from rising unaided....and had to have very strong anti biotics ...doxycycline. Although this was only the first time I was tested this was 100% my third time having corona virus....my first two times were well documented on this forum back in March....I have deleted many of those posts as a chess colleague has since died a few weeks after those posts.
I can assure anyone reading here that if you get coronavirus once you will certainly get it a second , third and forth time etc and in my cases the 3rd time was the worst...I managed to fight it unaided the first two times back in early March and late April.

NHS

MARTIN CRICHTON (Account ID: xxxxxxxx)

As you have had a positive COVID-19 test, you must stay at home (self-isolate) for at least 10 days from when your symptoms started. If you still have a temperature after 10 days, you must continue to self-isolate until you feel better. This is because you may still be infectious with COVID-19.

Members of your household must stay at home and isolate for 14 days from the day you became unwell.

For more information visit Stay at home guidance on self-isolation:

https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/link ... -for-cases

It is now a legal duty to self-isolate. You could be fined if you do not stay at home and self-isolate.

We will follow up with calls and messages throughout your isolation period to signpost you to help and support available for you.

If you are eligible for Statutory Sick Pay during self-isolation, you can use this message as evidence for your employer. You can download a letter from the Isolation Note Service.

https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/links/isolation-note

If you are on a low income and cannot work from home while self-isolating, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 through the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme from your local authority. Contact your local authority for more information.

If you need support self-isolating, visit the following websites:

Find help in your local area: https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/link ... local-help

If you or someone else you care for need support during isolation, go to https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/link ... responders or call 0808 196 3646 (8am to 8pm). NHS Volunteers are people in your community who have offered to help pick up groceries, collect prescriptions and talk to you if you need support.

Guidance on shielding and protecting people who are at high risk from COVID-19:

https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/link ... -shielding
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:01 pm

I think it is worth copying these posts from the Candidates thread.
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:19 pm
Grischuk
It seems to me that the fundamental problem is that the FIDE leadership is trying to satisfy all the participants of the event, and that’s simply not possible, not even theoretically. I’ll give one example. Many of the players are really worried about the coronavirus, the conditions for guaranteeing their health and safety, and some medical questions. But my position, for example, is completely different. I’m ready to play, so to speak, in a garage, basement, zoo or train station. I don’t need any kind of medical insurance, luxury hotels and comfortable conditions for holding the event.

That doesn’t matter to me at all, and I’m also calm about the situation with the coronavirus, but I won’t play in a mask and gloves, or if I need to sit in quarantine for two weeks before the start of the event. Or to play in a so-called “bubble”, when during the tournament you’re not allowed to leave the territory of the hotel or some other premises. And how, in such a situation, can you satisfy both me and the other players? If we have exactly the opposite “demands”?
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:31 pm
We are seeing the same type of debate at amateur level too, judging from discussions in the main forum.
They sum up a feeling which I have had for several months. Even when the Government finally ( if ever, and I certainly expect it to take years ) loosens all restrictions, there will still be a group of people, such as Grischuk and myself, who will wish to play only under normal conditions, and another group who will be unwilling to play without special ( or "new normal" ) conditions.

I simply do not see how OTB chess resumes, either at Candidates or local league level.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm

Ridiculously pessimistic. Not least because OTB chess has *already* "resumed".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:17 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm
Ridiculously pessimistic. Not least because OTB chess has *already* "resumed".
The title of the thread is (chess ) life returning to normal. If you think that has happened, then we have different opinions as to what is normal.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:04 pm

You didn't say that, however.

It is possible we may have to put up with a relatively minor amount of inconvenience for a while if we want to play OTB chess.

Some might not be willing to go along with that, I suspect it will be a minority though.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Ulster Chess Union organiser, Brendan Jamison, arranged a series of outdoor Grand Prix Blitz Events every Saturday from the beginning of September.
Masks and gloves were worn.
These were the dates and venues:
Saturday 5th September Titanic Quarter Outdoor Elite Blitz Championship.
Saturday 12th September Bangor Marina Outdoor Blitz Championship.
Saturday 19th September Play Park.
Saturday 19th September Stormont Estate, Belfast.
Saturday 26th September Groomsport Outdoor Blitz.
Saturday 3rd October Whitehead Railway Museum.
Saturday 10th October Bangor's McKee Clock.
There is a detailed write up on each event on the first three pages on the news on the Ulster Chess Union website.
There are some great pictures, particularly of some interesting Chess trophies at the Groomsport event and people playing chess on the station platform at the Whitehead Railway Museum event.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:53 am

[/quote]

Although this was only the first time I was tested this was 100% my third time having corona virus....my first two times were well documented on this forum back in March....I have deleted many of those posts as a chess colleague has since died a few weeks after those posts.
I can assure anyone reading here that if you get coronavirus once you will certainly get it a second , third and forth time etc and in my cases the 3rd time was the worst...I managed to fight it unaided the first two times back in early March and late April.

[/quote]

Only now are the media beginning to confirm that people will be getting reinfected time after time...the only thing they are getting wrong is their theory that the second and third reinfections will be less severe

Wrong again.....the later reinfections will be more severe! my personal experiences

BBC news top story today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54696873

Regards

Martin.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.