(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 pm
Well, of course, it would be difficult to wear a mask when downing a pint or eating. But in principle, yes.
I'm perfectly happy to wear a full Hazmat suit in principle, provided that nobody wants me to do so in practice.
That said, I suspect that in general ventilation will be better in pubs and restaurants than in chess venues.
You have no basis whatsoever for saying that. I am expecting the ventilation in chess venues where I play to be conspicuously better than some of the establishments where I eat and drink. Not because I am that much bothered, but because I know that some others will be.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:40 pm
Angus French wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 pm
That said, I suspect that in general ventilation will be better in pubs and restaurants than in chess venues.
You have no basis whatsoever for saying that. I am expecting the ventilation in chess venues where I play to be conspicuously better than some of the establishments where I eat and drink. Not because I am that much bothered, but because I know that some others will be.
I think I do - and wouldn't have said it if I didn't. I can think of quite a few chess venues - in the Croydon & District Chess League, for example, in which we both play, and elsewhere - which are distinctly stuffy and lacking in ventilation (and even in windows). I don't know of any pubs or restaurants with such bad ventilation.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm
I think I do - and wouldn't have said it if I didn't. I can think of quite a few chess venues - in the Croydon & District Chess League, for example, in which we both play, and elsewhere - which are distinctly stuffy and lacking in ventilation (and even in windows). I don't know of any pubs or restaurants with such bad ventilation.
You are assuming that it will not occur to clubs to make any adjustments to their playing conditions.

As to the pubs and restaurants, we clearly frequent different places!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:02 pm
I don't know of any pubs or restaurants with such bad ventilation.
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:31 pm
As to the pubs and restaurants, we clearly frequent different places!
I assume that Angus is not frequenting any pubs at present. It is at least a fortnight since I saw anyone wearing a mask in one.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 am

NickFaulks wrote:
You are assuming that it will not occur to clubs to make any adjustments to their playing conditions.
That's very optimistic indeed. In general most chess clubs (that I know of anyway) are broadly happy with whatever hole in the ground they've managed to lease at a cheap rate.

They mostly actually probably don't even have the resources to move if they did want to.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:44 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:33 am
NickFaulks wrote:
That's very optimistic indeed. In general most chess clubs (that I know of anyway) are broadly happy with whatever hole in the ground they've managed to lease at a cheap rate.
I'm sure that is true in some cases, but it is being used as an excuse to shut down all chess, even where clubs have made great efforts to provide excellent playing conditions.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:00 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 pm
From the Torbay Chess Congress website

"On a positive note, we are planning to hold the 2021 Congress on Armistice weekend (12th - 14th November). We hope to start accepting entries for the 2021 Congress around the middle of 2021.

David Robertson wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:26 pm
On a negative note, don't plan too deep. This event won't happen. We'll be well into a 3rd wave by then, albeit a wave hopefully lowered by vaccinations.

Ronnie Burton (in another thread) wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:51 pm
The Torbay Chess Congress
Welcome to the website of the annual Torbay Chess Congress.

Covid-19 Update

With deep regret the 2021 Congress has been cancelled because of the ongoing implications of the Covid-19 pandemic.

On a positive note, we are planning to hold the 2022 Congress on Armistice weekend (11th - 13th November) at the Toorak Hotel, Torquay. We hope to start accepting entries for the 2022 Congress around the middle of 2022.

Good prediction, Professor. Not your first, I have to concede.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 am

Good work, yes :)

I've got an awful lot of sympathy for organisers just now. This time last year it was very clear that it was going to go wrong soon, and so to cancel. Right now?

Much less clear cut. There's definite scope to dream. But current conditions/mitigations aren't precisely ideal and there's a definite risk of chess getting taken out this Autumn.

Or, at least, of enough people being deterred to render events non viable. Not a nice decision.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:38 am

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:22 am
Or, at least, of enough people being deterred to render events non viable. Not a nice decision.
Over the Board Congresses so far have been sell outs. Admittedly that's with capacity restrictions, so early entry is encouraged for fear of missing out. There aren't any obvious signs of government intending the reintroduction of restrictions which would be a disincentive to entry if non-cancellable hotels and travel needed to be booked in advance.

I wonder what risks the organisers or hotel management were unwilling to take. The Congress has been in the Toorak Hotel in the past. From memory the function room or rooms, whilst adequate in normal times aren't enormous. Perhaps capacity restrictions made it financially unviable.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 am

The events which are intending to go ahead are getting large numbers.

Different events are facing different problems. The arbiter population is not overwhelmed with youngsters. Many are in the vulnerable category.

I think that the congress circuit is relatively secure in as much as (some) people are so keen to play over the board that numbers will not be a problem. Players seem more willing to travel. Guessing which restrictions will be in place IS a problem though.

I think it is leagues which are in a far more difficult position than congresses. Leagues cannot 'import' players in the way that congresses can so those reluctant to play currently will have a far greater effect in a league than in a congress. A couple of reluctant players could mean a whole team being lost.

Anyone able to use a crystal ball?

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:40 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 pm
The harbinger of doom! Mind you the 1918/19 Spanish 'Flu pandemic came in three waves, the second the most virulent by far and the third the least. It returned in a much milder form in 1920 with only a handful of deaths. Of course, in those times there was no vaccine, but according to the results pages from the local press, chess continued alongside darts, skittles and bagatelle. It seems these activities were centred on a network of local working mens clubs which appear to have been pulling pints as usual. Maybe we'll get away with it - 50p that it goes ahead Professor?
I’d better pay up then. If the nice professor would like to name his favourite Merseyside charity I shall make a £50 donation (well I can’t send 50p). Don’t you hate it when this happens.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:57 pm

I am not sure what the problem may be in any specific case. It isnt availability of arbiters, as I am sure I or any one of a number of organiser arbiters would help out if that were needed.

I wonder if congress organisers realise how much players just want to get back to playing chess? I am not sure they even need to have large prize funds, and that would mitigate any financial problems a congress might have.

Anyhow this is absolutely the right time for congress organisers to come on to this Forum and let us know what is on their minds, and I feel that we can help them solve their problems.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:33 pm

After the bad news about Torquay, there's better news about another long established autumn Congress. According an email just received, Bury St Edmunds is back. It's running 23rd and 24th October at a new venue, the Moreton Hall Community Centre , Symonds Road IP32 7EE

According to the website it's where the Bury club meet and is also a venue for EACU county matches.

https://www.bsecongress.org.uk/

Conveniently it appears to be also just round the corner from the Dragonfly Hotel, which is recommended by the Congress organisers, as in previous years.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:33 pm
After the bad news about Torquay, there's better news about another long established autumn Congress. According an email just received, Bury St Edmunds is back. It's running 23rd and 24th October at a new venue, the Moreton Hall Community Centre , Symonds Road IP32 7EE

According to the website it's where the Bury club meet and is also a venue for EACU county matches.

Thanks Roger - entered :-)

I feel like a dog let loose in an abattoir now events are opening! I shall play them all :lol:

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:56 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:33 pm

Thanks Roger - entered :-)

I feel like a dog let loose in an abattoir now events are opening! I shall play them all :lol:
The abattoir is filling up. I've picked up more events taking place. So plenty to get your teeth into.
Don't forget Scarborough Congress is the following weekend. I'm hoping to bring a couple of Scarborough Congress virgins with me.
Looks like Barnsley chess club is reopening this Tuesday with rules regarding masked and unmasked players along with a new website address.
However on their website it states that the Sheffield league has postponed OTB chess until after Christmas 2021
They are planning to start a new online league in September.