(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:13 pm
Sir Van in trouble with the BBC:
A wonderful man. I have tickets to see him at the Palladium in November. I would have been there next week but I shall be playing OTB chess - I'm sure he would approve.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:34 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:11 pm
https://www.goal.com/en/news/german-ama ... fa7d3e21a2

Brilliant or what?
For those who prefer to avoid sites littered with adverts see the same story on the BBC Sport website.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm

The gist of which seems to be that if the ECF really wanted to encourage chess they would be levying a mandatory €200 fine for every fixture unfulfilled.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:52 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm
The gist of which seems to be that if the ECF really wanted to encourage chess they would be levying a mandatory €200 fine for every fixture unfulfilled.
Which would be a quick way to kill off the desire of anyone to organise and advertise rated chess tournaments in England. It's bad enough with HMG giving conflicting advice and law, applying it inconsistently and with double standards, changing it almost before the ink has dried, then telling us that it hadn't changed, before threatening anyone misunderstanding their advice and law with heavy fines.

I sought the advice of a solicitor on behalf of Richmond Juniors. Her advice was clear:
a) follow meticulously the most stringent possible interpretation of any government communication to the public;
b) or have deep enough pockets that you could see off any bluff or actual prosecution from any arm of the government that might conceivably concern itself and be prepared to be scapegoated by the press should anything untoward happen (or even were anything untoward not to happen but the event in some way fitting the agenda of some editor at the time). And have funds to cover any private litigation should anyone connected with the event in any way suffer any injury. Expect all insurance contracts to be void, unless they have specifically stated otherwise with sight of your arrangements.

I absorbed the message.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:18 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:52 pm
Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm
Which would be a quick way to kill off the desire of anyone to organise and advertise rated chess tournaments in England. It's bad enough with HMG giving conflicting advice and law, applying it inconsistently and with double standards, changing it almost before the ink has dried, then telling us that it hadn't changed, before threatening anyone misunderstanding their advice and law with heavy fines.

I sought the advice of a solicitor on behalf of Richmond Juniors. Her advice was clear:
a) follow meticulously the most stringent possible interpretation of any government communication to the public;
b) or have deep enough pockets that you could see off any bluff or actual prosecution from any arm of the government that might conceivably concern itself and be prepared to be scapegoated by the press should anything untoward happen (or even were anything untoward not to happen but the event in some way fitting the agenda of some editor at the time). And have funds to cover any private litigation should anyone connected with the event in any way suffer any injury. Expect all insurance contracts to be void, unless they have specifically stated otherwise with sight of your arrangements.

I absorbed the message.
Could not junior-chess sessions come under the allowable category of education?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:32 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:26 am
I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know Harrogate that well. Been through Harrogate a few times.
The only person who might know is a certain person who posts on the forum, who is Chairman of Harrogate Chess Club. He posts regularly on ECF Matters.
That individual would prefer not to comment publicly on this (for various reasons) except to say that he has no connection to the event.

I will clarify some questions about the venue which is on the site of a care home but in a separate building. I'm never quite sure why Noel refers to it as a hospice for the blind; from what relatively little I know the facility is run by the Catholic church and all female. Many of the residents are elderly Nuns.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:32 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
I'm not sure to be honest. I don't know Harrogate that well. Been through Harrogate a few times.
The only person who might know is a certain person who posts on the forum, who is Chairman of Harrogate Chess Club. He posts regularly on ECF Matters.
That individual would prefer not to comment publicly on this (for various reasons) except to say that he has no connection to the event.

I will clarify some questions about the venue which is on the site of a care home but in a separate building. I'm never quite sure why Noel refers to it as a hospice for the blind; from what relatively little I know the facility is run by the Catholic church and all female. Many of the residents are elderly Nuns.
Noel should probably add a line to the effect of, 'please don't play if you think you have Covid, as we don't want to kill any nuns!'

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:44 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Simon Rogers wrote:

Sorry Andrew.
Thanks for letting us know.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:57 pm

I cant see any way Harrogate will go ahead
Both Fareham and Northumberland published in great detail how they where making their events Covid safe. Sadly due to the worsening situation they both had to cancel
On the Harrogate website https://noelschess.weebly.com/ all it says is " Bring your own Personal Protection Equipment " . Nothing else about Covid !!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:15 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:37 pm
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Simon Rogers wrote:

Noel should probably add a line to the effect of, 'please don't play if you think you have Covid, as we don't want to kill any nuns!'
For some reason I started to think about the Film:
Nuns on the Run
With Robbie Coltrane and Eric Idle

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Maybe the players will have to keep an eye on their Bishops if there are lots of nuns about !!

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:50 pm

I imagine everyone I know has heard me tell this story at least once. But since we are talking about nuns...

I played in an weekend congress in the 90s somewhere, maybe Kent, which I am pretty sure Matthew Sadler won. He crushed me in a Qc2 Nimzo anyway.

You could stay at the venue, which was attached to the Catholic Church somehow. Between rounds the organiser explained there was some confusion about bookings, some nuns were staying in the building and they could not stay under the same roof as men. So they we going to move us to a hotel, sorry for the inconvenience etc.

During the next round the organiser approached me and said the nuns had insisted we move out immediately. He said he would stop the clocks and please would I pack up my things.

When I got to the room a middle aged nun was packing my clothes into my bag. We had a slightly embarrassed conversation which ended with me saying "God Bless" as I left. I still have no idea why, that moment will be with me forever.

Anyway, just to confirm, I am looking forward to things going back to normal.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Could not junior-chess sessions come under the allowable category of education?

NO !!

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I intend to refer this entire thread to the Mental Health authorities. It's become increasingly ludicrous. Get a grip!