(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Tim Spanton

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:15 am

Czechia starting to look unfriendly again (from the UK Foreign Office):

The Czech government have classified countries as either ‘high’, or ‘low’ risk. The UK has now been classified as ‘high’ risk. Travellers coming from the UK are allowed to come to the Czech Republic for any reason, but are required to either present a negative RT-PCR (COVID-19) test no older than 72 hours upon arrival, or to present a negative RT-PCR test result within seven days of your arrival . If undergoing an RT-PCR test in the Czech Republic, you should avoid all but essential movements until a negative test result is presented. In both cases, all arrivals from the UK should also complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form for presentation on arrival. Details of which countries are classified as high risk, the regulations in place for travellers from those countries and more information on the entry requirements and local restrictions can be found on the website of the Czech Ministry of Interior.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm
I've just had a look at the obits section Simon and I'm shocked at the number of people who have died this year. Have to say a magnificent job done by you to list as many as you have. Thank you.
I was also surprised by the numbers but wondered whether, rather than being indicative of excess deaths this year, it demonstrated increased diligence in reporting them. Either way, it's good of Simon to keep us informed - depressing information though it is - and I'd like to express my thanks. I'll do my utmost to avoid personally adding to his work.
Thanks gentlemen for your support. It means a lot.
I'm sure there will be many decades before you personally add to my work, Roger.
I'm sorry to say I have yet another Death and Obituary to report.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:00 pm

Those of you who have seen my criticisms of the decision to cancel this year's Hastings congress may be interested in a response from sponsor Caplin's chief executive John Ashworth: https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2020/12/ ... -back.html

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:05 am

Consider that ye may be wrong.
After the 5-days of up to three households permitted to gather indoors even a seasoned campaigner may have to say - the decision to cancel is vindicated.

If Christmas had been cancelled, however, I do believe Hastings could have gone ahead in some traditional shape or form. Fir example - in strictly segregated 'Elfs' and 'Santas' sections.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:59 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:00 pm
Those of you who have seen my criticisms of the decision to cancel this year's Hastings congress may be interested in a response from sponsor Caplin's chief executive John Ashworth: https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2020/12/ ... -back.html
It was nice of John Ashworth to respond, but I believe he is like that.

While I am in general agreement with Tim's views on lockdowns, tiers and other weapons of mass destruction, I think his criticism of John is quite unfair. A sponsor has to respond to reality, and the reality is that OTB chess is going to be made intolerable for some time. I speak as someone who has in the past been a serious sponsor.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:51 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 pm
Mick Norris wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:45 pm
The US will want to discredit AstraZeneca to enable their companies to make bigger profits
Possibly, but AZN have done a decent job of that themselves.
The Lancet paper, assessed by independent scientists Oxford Covid vaccine 'safe and effective' study shows
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Tim Spanton >Those of you who have seen my criticisms of the decision to cancel this year's Hastings congress may be interested in a response from sponsor Caplin's chief executive John Ashworth<
That completely correct decision was made by the Hastings ICC sub-committee. Neither John, nor I are members of that committee.
They tried to arrange a live 10 player all-play-all. But the government changed the rules yet again to make that impossible. The committee did not want to arrange a live event which would probably have to be cancelled, possibly at considerable expense for the possible participants.
Probably you are not aware that the event was going to be held in England and was subject to the Laws of that country.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:43 pm
Tim Spanton >Those of you who have seen my criticisms of the decision to cancel this year's Hastings congress may be interested in a response from sponsor Caplin's chief executive John Ashworth<
That completely correct decision was made by the Hastings ICC sub-committee. Neither John, nor I are members of that committee.
They tried to arrange a live 10 player all-play-all. But the government changed the rules yet again to make that impossible. The committee did not want to arrange a live event which would probably have to be cancelled, possibly at considerable expense for the possible participants.
Probably you are not aware that the event was going to be held in England and was subject to the Laws of that country.
Give it a rest, Stewart. The decision was made by John Ashworth (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0487292663). You can argue about whether the decision was right or wrong, but the fact is that he who pays the piper calls the tune (or decides that no tune will be played for the foreseeable future).
The Caplin Hastings International Congress Chess website linked to the podcast interview on August 8: http://www.hastingschess.com/interview- ... aplin-ceo/
The committee met on August 22 to rubberstamp the decision, and this was reported six(!) days later at the Caplin Hastings International Congress Chess website: http://www.hastingschess.com/committee- ... ress-news/

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:40 pm

I think Nick and I have a little greater experience of running chess competitions and dealing with chess sponsors than you Tim. Arguably the biggest supporters of the HICC are the administrators.

Jacob Ward

Post by Jacob Ward » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:28 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:21 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
Give it a rest, Stewart. The decision was made by John Ashworth (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/i ... 0487292663). You can argue about whether the decision was right or wrong, but the fact is that he who pays the piper calls the tune (or decides that no tune will be played for the foreseeable future).
The Caplin Hastings International Congress Chess website linked to the podcast interview on August 8: http://www.hastingschess.com/interview- ... aplin-ceo/
The committee met on August 22 to rubberstamp the decision, and this was reported six(!) days later at the Caplin Hastings International Congress Chess website: http://www.hastingschess.com/committee- ... ress-news/
I don't quite get it - are you saying it could have gone ahead? Wouldn't it have been clearly prohibited by the COVID rules?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am

Jacob Ward wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:28 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:21 pm
Stewart Reuben wrote:
I don't quite get it - are you saying it could have gone ahead? Wouldn't it have been clearly prohibited by the COVID rules?
I am saying two things.
1. August (or possibly July - a committee member has told me the decision was effectively made then) was too early to decide about a congress starting on December 28.
2. With the proper willpower I believe the congress could have gone ahead, albeit with social-distancing measures. Either the congress could count as an event for elite sportsmen or it could count as a cultural event, similar to how some theatres are putting on pantomimes, as in this extract from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55148748 -
"Meanwhile in tier two areas, where theatres can reopen, many venues have salvaged their pantos for socially-distanced audiences. York Theatre Royal is in tier two, and is taking its panto on tour to community centres, church halls and social clubs in all 21 of the city's wards."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am

2. With the proper willpower I believe the congress could have gone ahead, albeit with social-distancing measures. Either the congress could count as an event for elite sportsmen or it could count as a cultural event
Regular participants. probably including arbiters and organising committee have perhaps long suspected the Hastings Congress as a super spreader event for colds and flu. Also the voting membership of the ECF Council were opposed to the ECF adopting a rule bending attitude to establish whether any normal style chess could take place.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:49 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:47 am
1. August (or possibly July - a committee member has told me the decision was effectively made then) was too early to decide about a congress starting on December 28.
You could, to be honest, have made a decision back in March :(

Certainly by July/August it was very clear that we were only ever going to get proper control of this once we got a vaccine and they've performed a few miracles to get those out on even the current time scale/effectiveness.

Chess was never going to get early priority.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Tim,

No decision was made re cancelling until September. Certainly no invitations were issued as nothing was certain.

It would not be right for me to go into details to refute other allegations you made as those involved others as well as me.

Let me, instead, list all of the accurate statements you have made.
4. - 1000. As above.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:11 pm
Tim,

No decision was made re cancelling until September. Certainly no invitations were issued as nothing was certain.

It would not be right for me to go into details to refute other allegations you made as those involved others as well as me.

Let me, instead, list all of the accurate statements you have made.
4. - 1000. As above.
I too will not go into detail, but I can confirm everything which Alex has said.

In addition, I wish to state that Tim's personal attacks on John Ashworth are quite unwarranted. Indeed, I feel that I would be justified in using much stronger language.