(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:10 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:04 am
I am looking forwards to taking a team to Ilkley in the Silver Rook competition in October. It is a great place and project.
Remember to wear a hat.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:14 am

I have to ask.. Why a hat?
HDCA President

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:44 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Ilkla_Moor_Baht_%27at

Apologies if this gives cultural offence nowadays, none intended.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Not sure whether this should go into Chess Clubs reopening. I'm afraid Lytham St.Annes Chess Club are looking for a new venue aswell.
The CEO of Booths decided it was unsafe for Poulton-le-Fylde and Lytham St.Annes Chess Clubs to use their cafes as venues during these difficult times.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:30 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:44 am
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Ilkla_Moor_Baht_%27at

Apologies if this gives cultural offence nowadays, none intended.
Nice! Nothing wrong with cultural offence.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:56 pm

The reopening of Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club went well last night. More details tomorrow when I have more time.
I'm afraid I have to attend a Blackpool & Fylde League Committee meeting on Zoom this evening.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:31 pm

Eyes down, here come the chess tournaments that I have found.
All very exciting.

David Blower

Post by David Blower » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 pm

First, I hope everyone and their families are fit, healthy and safe during this time.

I do not know if it is just myself that has this uneasy feeling, that there seems to be a mad rush to return to competitive action. Whereas the focus SHOULD be on rebuilding chess clubs in general.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 am

Why should the two be in some sort of zero sum game?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 am

David Blower wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 pm
First, I hope everyone and their families are fit, healthy and safe during this time.

I do not know if it is just myself that has this uneasy feeling, that there seems to be a mad rush to return to competitive action. Whereas the focus SHOULD be on rebuilding chess clubs in general.
Hardly a mad rush - for many people it's been getting on for the best part of two years since they played OTB. Admittedly I have something of a rush coming up ...

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:36 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:26 am
David Blower wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:47 pm

Hardly a mad rush - for many people it's been getting on for the best part of two years since they played OTB. Admittedly I have something of a rush coming up ...
Eyes down Tim. I have found some more tournaments to post in Congress Diary soon.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am

Not sure if this was previously posted: the calculator below claims to be able to assess personal covid risk and compare it to your budgeted risk.
Not too hard to simulate a chess tournament.

https://www.microcovid.org/

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:59 am

For those of you missing The Sniper, he has just started posting on social media again.
Apparently a cafe has been opened by him serving
"Pastizzi " and "VIP Crock Pot Chicken Breast" along with some traditional Maltese fayre .The cafe/restaurant was opened on 4th September. The Queen's Gambit villa is open for holimakers aswell.
For those of you stuck in his troll prison, not sure if you have been fed, but I am guessing he might send some slop from his new food establishment.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:45 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am
Not sure if this was previously posted: the calculator below claims to be able to assess personal covid risk and compare it to your budgeted risk.
Not too hard to simulate a chess tournament.

https://www.microcovid.org/
Interestingly, they rate "No mask" for oneself on a par with "Cloth, thin or loose"; but a reduced risk for you if others are wearing at least "Cloth, thin or loose".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm

Yesterday evening I attended a League meeting where we tried to fix the date for an AGM where arrangements for the restarting of chess will be discussed. According to my diary, during the proposed week I already have commitments to play on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, so my own chess life does already appear to have returned at least to normal. None of these involves the wearing of a mask.

Leagues which are yet to produce their fixture lists may find that they have missed the boat.