(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 am
If you persist in getting your medical information from 80's pop stars
The New York State authorities are not to my knowledge 80s pop stars.

https://www.jujamcyn.com/springsteenfaq/#covid19

includes "At the direction of New York State, only FDA-approved COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson) will be accepted for proof of vaccination for ticket holders 16 years and older."

Bob Dylan did have it right, though. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am

Well it is an evolving situation isn't it. We'll see how it develops

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/springs ... ?auto=true

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 am

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am
We'll see how it develops.
Concorde failed commercially because the US aviation authorities would not permit it to operate properly over US airspace. Does anyone believe they would have behaved in the same way had it been built by Boeing?

Would it be a big surprise if the pharmaceutical industry now acted in a similar fashion?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:51 am
Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am
We'll see how it develops.
Concorde failed commercially because the US aviation authorities would not permit it to operate properly over US airspace. Does anyone believe they would have behaved in the same way had it been built by Boeing?

Would it be a big surprise if the pharmaceutical industry now acted in a similar fashion?
Fair point, although someone please remind me how the Russian and Chinese vaccines are regarded here ?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am
Fair point, although someone please remind me how the Russian and Chinese vaccines are regarded here ?
So far that point is moot, since there is nothing that vaccinations permit you to do in the UK that you cannot do otherwise. It does raise a good question though, will the Russian vaccine allow care home workers from Eastern Europe to keep their jobs?

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:11 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:51 am
So far that point is moot, since there is nothing that vaccinations permit you to do in the UK that you cannot do otherwise. It does raise a good question though, will the Russian vaccine allow care home workers from Eastern Europe to keep their jobs?
There is also the issue of how you prove that you’ve had a vaccination in Moscow or Bucharest. It is almost as if those developing the vaccines were focusing on saving lives rather than the logistics of attending a Bruce Springsteen concert.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:09 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:46 pm
There is also the issue of how you prove that you’ve had a vaccination in Moscow or Bucharest.
The New York State authorities might question how you prove you have been vaccinated in Birmingham ( England or Alabama ). There are so many complications that don't yet seem to have been considered.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:41 am

For Nick's benefit, in case this news story wasn't reported on QAnon

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5477545

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:11 am

Yes, I had seen that. I imagine the fact that The Boss himself must have been furious would have carried some weight.

It still isn't over, there will be a lot of counterfeit documents around.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:07 am
It is going to take a long time before Chess life returns to normal but I am hopeful.
Been on my travels around the country again and I have some more good news to share with you all.
I've found some more clubs reopening a couple of clubs that have moved venue and a couple of new clubs starting.
I also have a friend that has written a 250 page chess book that was released a few months ago.
Apologies all for not reporting. My mobile phone ran out of data. Just got some more data today. I've just found out some more clubs that have reopened. But not found anymore in the North West.
I've also found another OTB tournament taking place next month which I hope to post soon.
Sadly I have also picked up some terrible news at the same time.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:12 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 pm
I can only wonder what this will be - presumably a death of some sort?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:31 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:12 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:46 pm
I can only wonder what this will be - presumably a death of some sort?
I'm afraid you're right Matt as always. A few to be exact. I'll balance it out by posting the lots of good news that I have found.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:28 pm

Assuming the new roadmap holds, I am considering organising a 5 or 6 rounds standard, Fide rated congress sometimes in August, open to adults and juniors.

I am however still struggling to find a way to reduce the likelihood of pairings between juniors.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:28 pm
I am however still struggling to find a way to reduce the likelihood of pairings between juniors.
Hand your arbiter a bunch of pairing cards, tell them that you're trying to avoid junior v junior pairings where possible. Sit back and watch.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:56 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:31 pm
Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:28 pm
Hand your arbiter a bunch of pairing cards, tell them that you're trying to avoid junior v junior pairings where possible. Sit back and watch.
I am the (novice) arbiter :lol:
I'd rather have a scientific and transparent way to do it. The stated goal of such an event would be:

* for everyone to enjoy some nice standard OtB chess
* making sure we help juniors as a whole gain points rather than redistribute them in a closed pool

Blocking pairings between adults and juniors only works if there are enough adults. I ran a simulation on my software and even at 60% adults, you have a risk of pairings for a round failing.