(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mark Howitt

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mark Howitt » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:42 am

Guys.........

Can't sleep atm...

So have to tell u the notorious Mark Howitt did make a return in the glamour venue of Honley Liberal club for his first competitive OTB match in 15 years.

I'd like to say it was a black win in the style of Tal but I did make a few mistakes which hopefully I won't make again.

Big thanks to Leo Keely for the free analysis!

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:01 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:39 pm
Seriously, it's September 2023 and there are clubs only now "returning to normal" ??
The after-effects of a big disruptive effect can last a long time, particularly when it's one that's killed people in large numbers.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:00 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:01 am
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Seriously, it's September 2023 and there are clubs only now "returning to normal" ??
The after-effects of a big disruptive effect can last a long time, particularly when it's one that's killed people in large numbers.
Yes, I understand that in so far as it will have had a very significant effect on a minority. But my impression, and I'm speaking as one who by virtue of age is deemed to be among the more vulnerable groups, is that the majority ceased to be overly worried about Covid a year or so back and are now inclined to treat it as another virus (or, more accurately I suppose, group of viruses) rather akin to influenza.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:33 pm

But some things will still take some time to (re)organise even after the Covid threat is mostly seen to have receded.

For instance, we are still waiting for my local quiz league to start again after it abruptly ceased in March 2020.

I'm sure there are quite a few similar examples.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:14 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:33 pm
But some things will still take some time to (re)organise even after the Covid threat is mostly seen to have receded.

For instance, we are still waiting for my local quiz league to start again after it abruptly ceased in March 2020.

I'm sure there are quite a few similar examples.
I doubt doubt it but surely those are outliers. Over-the-board 4NCL stopped in February 2020, roughly the same time as your quiz league, but re-started November 2021. That's almost two years ago.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:53 pm

Well yes, obviously.

My point, however, was that your expression of total incredulity that not everywhere is back to "normal" yet was a tad overdone.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:17 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:23 pm
Quite a lot of news to report.
Apologies for not posting sooner as I have been busy with work.
New member at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club on Monday. Club AGM as well.
The junior club that I run, Cleveleys Chess Club for Juniors reopens next Thursday 14th September. I believe we have a number of new children starting.
Blackpool & Fylde League AGM tonight at Lytham Chess Club, which I will be attending.
Looks like I will have some good news and bad news to report to the forum from the AGM.
I've picked up a number of new clubs starting around the country, which I will start posting when I get home in a New Topic in General Chat.
There are also a number of new congresses, Junior and Adult, which I will gradually report.
A friend on the chess scene has also asked me to report some sad news to the forum.
Bye Bye for now.
Here is the bad news:
We were informed at the League committee meeting last week by Malcolm Peacock of Preston Chess Club that the Preston Chess Congress will not be going ahead this year as the university increased the charge for hiring the room from £700 to £2500.
I've posted about it in the Congress Diary Category under a new topic titled "Domestic Tournament Cancellations".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:31 am

"Over-the-board 4NCL stopped in February 2020, roughly the same time as your quiz league, but re-started November 2021."

4NCL is a commercial operation, whereas local clubs and leagues rely entirely on volunteers, who may have given up organization for a variety of reasons. Club members also may have given up. Venues (that are affordable) may be difficult to find.

Edit - By "commercial", I mean "professional". I make no claim that the organizers have become multi-millionaires!

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:30 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Okay, I take on board that not everyone shares my surprise. Trust no-one was offended.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:44 pm

"Trust no-one was offended."

No - it was fair comment.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:37 pm

"...the Preston Chess Congress will not be going ahead this year as the university increased the charge for hiring the room from £700 to £2500."

That is quite a hike. I suspect it's mostly due to help cover the cost of the increase in electricity prices.
Borrowing an idea from another current thread, go back and say they can cut off the electricity as you can supple candles. (No doubt a health and safety rep will put the kibosh on that idea - tell them the chess tournament is for members of the Fire Brigade that should work. )

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:44 am

"...the Preston Chess Congress will not be going ahead this year as the university increased the charge for hiring the room from £700 to £2500."

I suspect it's because they lost money during lockdown and they're desperate to get it back as soon as possible.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:40 pm

I've picked up a large number of entry forms for other tournaments at the Scarborough Congress which finished today.
Included, is a few new events which I will gradually post on the forum.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:49 pm

I am pleased to report that we had three new people turn up at our chess club on Monday.
All three won a game each, which was great to see.
Two have signed up as members on the night.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:00 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:49 pm
I am pleased to report that we had three new people turn up at our chess club on Monday.
All three won a game each, which was great to see.
Two have signed up as members on the night.
Boom Time!
Any idea how many post-Lockdown signups are still around?