(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
David Pardoe
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: NORTH WEST

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by David Pardoe » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm

Fair post John....but a little `rubbish` Is to be expected at times, I guess. The moderators should take care of the worst offenders but it probably pays to create your own list of `offenders` and press the ignore button in some cases. There are some websites that seem to thrive on the `rich` use of foul and abusive language, but even these are rough-cut moderated by others on the sites who can chastise the real villains at times..
The ones I don't like are the cheaters who tell `loaded tails` and can present quite credible stories, which are put out with the soul intention of misleading folk. But even these guys can get caught out by those who `know` what they are talking about .This is the downside of the web in some cases. Always check, if you intend to use the information under discussion.... is but one piece of advice I`d offer
Last edited by David Pardoe on Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BACK THE BCF

J T Melsom
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:54 pm

David Pardoe wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:43 pm
Fair post....but a little `rubbish` Is to be expected at times, I guess. The moderators should take care of the worst offenders but it probably pays to create your own list of `offenders` and press the ignore button in some cases.
Welcome back David. Much of the last couple of pages has featured the use of the ignore button and whether you should let people know they have been ignored. I did so because it was important to send out a message that the post that prompted me to press the button was unacceptable. Others would just have pressed the ignore button and said nothing. Each to their own, but we should have zero tolerance for some of the views expressed in this place. If there is a better way to express zero tolerance I'd be genuinely interested. Lots of people ignore these debates precisely because others cannot remain civil, but some views are unacceptable rather than contentious.

User avatar
Michael Farthing
Posts: 1961
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Location: Morecambe, Europe

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:07 pm
Moving on then, I am glad German courts are at last cracking down on their country's Nazi past:

From BBC News:
A 93-year-old former Nazi SS concentration camp guard has been found guilty of complicity in the murder of more than 5,000 prisoners.
Bruno Dey was handed a two-year suspended prison sentence by a court in the German city of Hamburg.
We have not heard the evidence, either of the part played by this boy at the time or his attitude subsequently but I cannot share Tim's elation. I see a very old man tried for the actions of a young boy of 76 years ago: a boy, below the age of majority, played on by calculated propaganda in a situation where he could have no effect, but facing a cruel future in the event of dissent. All that can be said in the defence of this is that the sentence given was in theoretical terms minimal, but its psychological and social force remains as does the underlying motive that a nation could feel itself exonerated by a scapegoat. Schade, meine deutschen Freunde.

J T Melsom
Posts: 818
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Good example of somebody not debating properly. I agree with Michael Farthing but have absolutely no idea what the relevance of the original post was to this thread. But this is not unusual.

John Sellen
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by John Sellen » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:53 pm

Thanks to those who have responded to my post in a friendly and constructive manner
I will persevere with the forum as clearly there is lots of good stuff on it
What I find quite amusing is that over the years I have played a number of the members of the forum OTB and they are nearly always pleasant and good company. I have no idea why some of them become aggressive keyboard warriors in the comfort of their own homes !!

Tim Spanton
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 am

We were given flyers yesterday at Biel for a tournament in Innsbruck, Austria, that seems to be going ahead from Saturday August 22 to Sun 30: over 2000, under 2000 and under 1500 (bad luck if you are exactly 2000?).

English translation details here: https://www.chess-festival-innsbruck.at/(I have Google translated it, but the link may revert to German)

Tim Spanton
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:31 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:07 am
We were given flyers yesterday at Biel for a tournament in Innsbruck, Austria, that seems to be going ahead from Saturday August 22 to Sun 30: over 2000, under 2000 and under 1500 (bad luck if you are exactly 2000?).

English translation details here: https://www.chess-festival-innsbruck.at/(I have Google translated it, but the link may revert to German)
On the other hand, I have just found this Foreign Office advice for Austria:

On entry into Austria, you will need to present a medical certificate which confirms that you have had a negative molecular biological SARS-CoV-2 test in the last 4 days.
If you arrive from the UK without a valid medical certificate, you will be required to self-isolate for 14 days.

User avatar
Adam Raoof
Posts: 2577
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: NW4 4UY
Contact:

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am

Is it easier to stay in Europe and keep travelling than to return to the UK and risk being quarantined on the way in/out?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Tornelo - https://tornelo.com/chess/orgs/chess-england
Simon Williams "The Ginger GM" - https://gingergm.com/ref/106.html
Don’t stop playing chess!

Tim Spanton
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am

Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am
Is it easier to stay in Europe and keep travelling than to return to the UK and risk being quarantined on the way in/out?
Good question. Unfortunately I am not in a position to keep travelling, and fortunately there is no longer quarantining on returning to the UK (at least not from the places I am likely to be playing in) so I plan to keep flying back and forth.
However I may inquire about getting a Covid-free certificate as Innsbruck would be good timing for me.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:56 pm

There is a major report coming out tomorrow from Public Health England about Covid-19 and why certain groups, including people aged 55-74 and those of Asian or black African descent, are more likely to die from it. I have seen the report but cannot reveal details ahead of publication, but people should be able to read about it in the papers tomorrow and online from shortly after midnight.
I think it could be useful reading for those thinking about when it might be safe for them personally to return to OTB chess.

John Moore
Posts: 1988
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by John Moore » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:36 pm

That's interesting. Thanks Tim.

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 3931
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Thanks Tim, I imagine everyone will be keen to see that!

Chris Rice
Posts: 3092
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:55 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am
Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am
Is it easier to stay in Europe and keep travelling than to return to the UK and risk being quarantined on the way in/out?
Good question. Unfortunately I am not in a position to keep travelling, and fortunately there is no longer quarantining on returning to the UK (at least not from the places I am likely to be playing in) so I plan to keep flying back and forth.
However I may inquire about getting a Covid-free certificate as Innsbruck would be good timing for me.
A few days ago Austria banned all flights from GB and a few other countries in response to the rising levels of Covid deaths and this ban at present is due to last to 31 July. I have been trying to get to Austria since April and BA keep cancelling the flights. Got my fifth cancellation today for a trip to Vienna from 25 August to 1 September. If you try the BA portal its not accepting any bookings to Austria at the moment.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:55 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:05 am
Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am
Is it easier to stay in Europe and keep travelling than to return to the UK and risk being quarantined on the way in/out?
Good question. Unfortunately I am not in a position to keep travelling, and fortunately there is no longer quarantining on returning to the UK (at least not from the places I am likely to be playing in) so I plan to keep flying back and forth.
However I may inquire about getting a Covid-free certificate as Innsbruck would be good timing for me.
A few days ago Austria banned all flights from GB and a few other countries in response to the rising levels of Covid deaths and this ban at present is due to last to 31 July. I have been trying to get to Austria since April and BA keep cancelling the flights. Got my fifth cancellation today for a trip to Vienna from 25 August to 1 September. If you try the BA portal its not accepting any bookings to Austria at the moment.
Yes, I've pretty much given up on Innsbruck - too much hassle, and no guarantee restrictions won't get more rigid. My next tournament looks like being Prague next month.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Ian Thompson » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:05 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:49 am
Is it easier to stay in Europe and keep travelling than to return to the UK and risk being quarantined on the way in/out?
Yes it is because you can't currently travel to Austria directly from the UK. Also, anyone who isn't a national of a Schengen area country isn't allowed to enter unless they arrive from a Schengen area country (with some exceptions, mainly for workers).

The entry requirements for Austria currently say that the only people who are exempt from either having had a recent negative test or quarantining for 14 days are people who have arrived from a Schengen area country, normally live in a Schengen area country and have been in a Schengen area country for the previous 14 days, so there's no avoiding a test or quarantine for UK citizens.

Post Reply