Any chess statistical tools?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Wadih Khoury

Any chess statistical tools?

Post by Wadih Khoury » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:26 pm

I used to like a lot https://chess-db.com/ , but for some reason the website has been down for a few months.

Beyond the usual suite of rankings and game database, it also had a string a small geekish tools which would give various statistical insights: given a field of players, what would be someone's likely performance, what would be the distribution of points one would get, what would be the % chance of podiums, etc...
It would also calculate your tournament performance (rather than adding your results one by one in the FIde calculator).
It also had some bizarre player analytics (like propensity to exchange queens and various odd bits) that can't be found elsewhere (and are probably completely useless KPIs).

Completely useless, and hence, utterly indispensable for anyone with some likings to statistics :mrgreen:

MJMcCready

Re: Any chess statistical tools?

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:08 am

Well I could be wrong but the purpose underlying its construction and it's ability to function heuristically is on a par with a whacky Professor's Power point showing how only last weekend he went rambling up a mountain so that he could have sex with animals, goats especially. In reducing chess down to numbers and statistics all you do is give yourself carte blanche to go on a killing spree, should you feel like it. For the simple reason that as soon as the old bill uncover that manner in which you are denigrating human experience in chess by bypassing the normative aspects of the game, in their eyes, you become above the law, and quite unlikely to stop at anything. As long as you can locate and gave the name of the mental home those guilty of denigrating chess by implementing numerical systems into the game, worst case scenario would be to have your legs broken immediately and then have you carted off to the same mental home. I think that's how they would see it. I think that's how they would interpret acting for the good of the general public. It is, I suppose, possible they will consider the chess world to be overrun by charlatans and never worth paying any attention to, adamant that numbers function only as a meta-language since existing as a systematic representation they are too pithy to tell you anything much...oh if you extole the virtues of presenting chess in terms of raw data a corollary of that is they may ask you in for questioning and ask you what your opinion on snuff movies is, as both are not only deplorable but demand those found guilty are first named and shamed in The Sun, and second have the crap beaten out of them so badly, they will never look the same again. As you may have guessed, if we note down what people are doing to chess it's nigh on impossible to start modeling yourself of Travis Bickel in Taxi Driver, your first and last question posed in person to the guilty parties found being 'You gotta gun. As has been well-argued, the zero-tolerance implemented by FIDE is on a par with genocide.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:18 am

Paragraphs are usually an expected part of formal writing, used to organize longer prose.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am

But not with creative writing and what's commonly known as a stream of consciousness.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 am

I wouldn't worry, Justin - it's just more tedious rubbish from Mr McCready.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:42 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:44 am
But not with creative writing and what's commonly known as a stream of consciousness.
Yeah well maybe either look for a publisher or publish it yourself but it's not really much use to use here, is it?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:59 pm

John Moore wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 am
I wouldn't worry, Justin - it's just more tedious rubbish from Mr McCready.
I have a reformist approach when I post on this site.