Isaac Asimov and chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Isaac Asimov and chess

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 am

Came across some references to chess in the works of science-fiction writer Isaac Asimov, including the following two examples from 'Pebble in the Sky' (1950):

https://www.chessvariants.com/fiction.d ... simov.html
Chess, somehow, hadn't changed, except for the names of the pieces. It was as he remembered it, and therefore it was always a comfort to him. At least, in this one respect, his poor memory did not play him false. Grew told him of variations of chess. [...]
The plot involves a game of chess, and Asimov used a famous one, which I found here:

https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1090575,

Boris Verlinsky vs Grigory Levenfish
USSR Championship (1924)

Asimov mentions in his 'Isaac Asimov's Treasury of Humor' that someone wrote to him saying that they had written in to a chess magazine about this game from 1924 being used by Asimov. Though you have to remember that Asimov was writing in 1950 and using a game from 26 years earlier. We are more distant from the era in which Asimov was writing than he was from the 1920s.

Rewan Demontay

Re: Isaac Asimov and chess

Post by Rewan Demontay » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:22 am

I find it funny that the king returns home in the diagrammed game, and an interesting post as well you have here.
Do you know, or wish to know, anything unusual about chess? Feel free to contact me!

Geoff Chandler

Re: Isaac Asimov and chess

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 pm

Chess pops up fairly frequently in Asimov stories, the most famous NOT being
2001 and HAL which won me a pint bet in Sandy Bells, that was A.C. Clarke.

""My failure at chess was really distressing. It seemed completely at odds with my "smartness."

Asimov in a 1994 Autobiography.