Queens Gambit and Netflix

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: Queens Gambit and Netflix

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:04 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:31 pm
I think we can safely say the Americans aren't exactly the most cultured bunch on the planet.
What a crass and ignorant thing to say.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:20 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:56 pm
Please don't take it personally but its almost impossible for me to believe you mean all that but then films and tv series about chess are almost always absolute rubbish, or if not then complete rubbish, or if slightly better then a load of bo**ocks...apologies in advance for the cynicism but cinematic outcomes on chess should be documentaries but then a lot of them are shite.
perhaps you should try googling the reviews and worldwide acclaim the series is gaining ....also the reviews very positive by players much stronger than me...
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:28 pm

I don't have Netflix, never have, but I believe the basic package costs £5.99 a month, and if you subscribe they give you your second month free. You can cancel any time, so you could sign up one day, cancel the next, and you would still be able to watch for the rest of your two months for a total of £5.99. Hopefully someone will correct me if this is wrong.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:32 pm

That's about right but the vast majority of it is modern popular american stuff. If you love your tv, you'll like Netflick. I did like having it but had to put time and effort into finding content more cultured, which they have also.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:21 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:59 pm
People bumped off in the book often survive the film.
You could add House Of Cards to that list. Couldn't believe it when I first read the book (having already seen the TV series with Ian Richardson) and discovered that FU had done himself in instead of chucking the journalist off the roof. Even harder to believe that Michael Dobbs was able to shamelessly turn out two more novels featuring the resurrected character. (Apparently he's since rewritten parts of the first book to iron out the inconsistencies.) :evil:
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:01 am

Hi John,

Took kids (but mainly me) to see Jurassic Park, when Hammond and Jeff Goldblum's character survived I knew there would be a sequel. (yahoo!)

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:31 pm

Just been listening to Talk Radio and there was a brief spot on the Kevin O'Sullivan show in which he was interviewing Malcolm Pein chiefly about the Netflix Queen's Gambit series, but also about chess in general. Malcolm made several favourable observations about the series re its authenticity, both technical and in the sense of creating the right atmosphere (dingy venues etc.). I have not seen the show so cannot comment but sounds promising. I may even take out a Netflix subscription to watch it!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:17 pm

Neville Twitchell wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Just been listening to Talk Radio and there was a brief spot on the Kevin O'Sullivan show in which he was interviewing Malcolm Pein
That's shame, I was listening earlier but turned it off to concentrate on doing some work.

Talk Radio is a station that would be sympathetic towards us being allowed to play chess.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Neville Twitchell

Post by Neville Twitchell » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:35 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:17 pm
Neville Twitchell wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:31 pm
Just been listening to Talk Radio and there was a brief spot on the Kevin O'Sullivan show in which he was interviewing Malcolm Pein
That's shame, I was listening earlier but turned it off to concentrate on doing some work.
"Talk Radio is a station that would be sympathetic towards us being allowed to play chess"
Is there a station that would be unsympathetic?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Neville Twitchell wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:35 pm
BBC are totally pro-lockdown.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Just read our own Paul Mckeown's review of the series/book on F.B.

Perfect, an honest open-mined review, overall he liked them both.
(he may reprint it here, deserves more coverage, up to Paul)

I have also been told I can get Netflix on a free months trial...Hmmmmm.

The fee is not a problem, the problem is I retire in a few days and I'd get sucked in and end up
a couch potato. I am retiring in a few days and I am determined not to let that happen.

(mind you sitting at the board day and night playing over games from the golden bygone days...I'm a chessboard potato.)

I'll digress for moment, 'my thread, my rules.'

The work want me to bring in my guitar and give them a farewell song. I do one every Christmas and
it ends getting shared on Face Book with complete strangers who judge me and end up thinking I'm weird.

Suppose I am, but not yet posted a picture of what I'm about to eat...
...I fully expect one day to see a picture of what it looked out when it came out! and then see all the 'likes')

'll give them 'Good Ship Venus' (I know all the verses) that will cut down on the number of F.B. shares.

Back on track:

Thanks to Paul I'm going to give 'The Queens Gambit' book another go.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:44 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:30 pm
I have also been told I can get Netflix on a free months trial...Hmmmmm.
I don't think that's true any more - see https://help.netflix.com/en/node/16282.

This article has some suggestions on how to minimise the cost.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:28 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:43 pm
Neville Twitchell wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:35 pm
BBC are totally pro-lockdown.
Does this mean they've cut down on having kooks with no scientific expertise opining about science?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi Ian,

I am being offered a free months trial, though I have not clicked the link or pressed the dreaded red button.
(I pressed a red button once after I sneaked in a disabled toilet at Easter Road, people started thumping on the door asking if I was OK.)

My masked son is coming up today with a gizmo thingy to fit onto my telly, apparently I have a smart T.V.
(could of fooled me the amount of junk it lets appear on it.)

Says I will be able to watch anything, anywhere, anytime for free! (Good! I'll cancel my TV license D.D. )
Not too confident, last time he helped out he fused the house and we sat in the dark for a few hours.

There goes the buzzer, it's him! Masks on, windows open, sanitizer at the ready, all we need now is a yellow canary.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Offensive and arguably libellous post from M.J.McCready deleted. There are plenty of valid criticisms you can make about the BBC without saying things that would get their lawyers involved.