Invisible pieces
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:54 am
This article by an anonymous woman is getting some attention. It should.
The independent home for discussions on the English Chess scene.
https://www.ecforum.org.uk/
I'll second thatMark D Podlesak wrote: ↑Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:47 pmThanks for pointing this article out Justin. Possibly the best written I've read on the subject.
Presumably the same necessity - for qualifications in the field of neuroscience - is required of the anonymous author? Or do double-standards and peak hypocrisy apply?Matt Bridgeman wrote: ↑Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:53 pm'Nigel Short, who left school at seventeen to focus full-time on chess, has zero qualifications in the field of neuroscience. Although he seems to believe otherwise, mastery of chess does not transfer to any other sphere, especially not one as complex as the brain. He has absolutely no authority on the subject, and for him to pretend otherwise is peak charlatanism.'
Nail on head with that paragraph!
What a ridiculous comment.Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:41 amOne of the advantages of going to University is the discovery that however much you think you know, there's a hell of a lot you don't.
I would imagine if Nigel keeps pushing those neurosexist beliefs in further articles he’s probably on the verge of getting himself a lot of negative press all over again. Maybe he enjoys this, I really don’t know?! Though I suspect post #me too, and in the present cancel culture, the ride out might be a lot rougher than in 2015.Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:41 amUnfortunately Nigel Short has learned nothing since his initial car-crash intervention.
https://lifestyle.livemint.com/news/tal ... 19695.html
I don't have any qualifications in the field of neuroscience, but I do have great respect for those who do. One of the advantages of going to University is the discovery that however much you think you know, there's a hell of a lot you don't.
Ah, a know-it-all!NickFaulks wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:57 amWhat a ridiculous comment.Gerard Killoran wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:41 amOne of the advantages of going to University is the discovery that however much you think you know, there's a hell of a lot you don't.
I can't speak for Nigel, but that line of argument has always been faulty.Matt Bridgeman wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:20 pmIs it really still your belief Nigel that lower rating isn’t simply a by-product of 5-15% comparative country participation rates of female players?
So you use the word bogus there, which means counterfeit or fake. Why are you saying this is a fake reason?NickFaulks wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:24 pmI can't speak for Nigel, but that line of argument has always been faulty.Matt Bridgeman wrote: ↑Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:20 pmIs it really still your belief Nigel that lower rating isn’t simply a by-product of 5-15% comparative country participation rates of female players?
If the absence of women from the list of top players is a problem that needs fixing ( a philosophical discussion I leave to others ), then proposing bogus reasons for it is not a helpful first step.