Which Clubs are Reopening ?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: Which Clubs are Reopening ?

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:42 am

That last seems very sensible to me. Reopening beforehand is a bit of a recipe for mass isolation.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:07 pm

Just had a phonecall with a committee member from Preston Chess Club. They reopened a couple of weeks ago with some new people turning up.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:21 pm

Holmfirth and Huddersfield opened up straight away. Still going strong and great to have new members coming through that took up chess during lockdown.
HDCA President

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:57 pm

Yorkshire league due to try and restart in October - non trivially reduced entry on Pre Covid levels - 9 in the top two leagues rather than 12 in 19/20.

Unclear how much of that is Covid effects - several of the 'lost' teams were definitely struggling at least a bit for players even before the shutdown.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:09 pm

Somerset is having a meeting of clubs to decide what to do.

Meanwhile, back in Surrey, Epsom are staging real chess.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:57 pm
Yorkshire league due to try and restart in October - non trivially reduced entry on Pre Covid levels - 9 in the top two leagues rather than 12 in 19/20.

Unclear how much of that is Covid effects - several of the 'lost' teams were definitely struggling at least a bit for players even before the shutdown.
The Yorkshire League is not "trying" to restart in October. A new season of fixtures will be going ahead unless circumstances beyond our control dictate otherwise. As ever a tremendous amount of work has been necessary to make it possible.

The net loss is currently six teams which is not actually as bad as I was expecting, particularly as some clubs are still trying to regroup post pandemic. However where clubs have been pro active they are demonstrating considerable growth. I doubt you have any interest in the Silver Rook but that league will consist almost entirely of junior and improving players and will be very interesting to watch.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:47 am

It is worth pointing out that there are two new clubs in the Silver Rook, making up 3 teams. Which is massively encouraging.
HDCA President

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:04 am

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 pm
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:57 pm

The Yorkshire League is not "trying" to restart in October. A new season of fixtures will be going ahead unless circumstances beyond our control dictate otherwise. As ever a tremendous amount of work has been necessary to make it possible.
Hence, given extant circumstances, trying. Still a very realistic chance of a genuine spike in infection rates this Autumn, and that might well produce some imposed restrictions.
(Or simple player reluctance.).
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:55 pm
The net loss is currently six teams which is not actually as bad as I was expecting, particularly as some clubs are still trying to regroup post pandemic. However where clubs have been pro active they are demonstrating considerable growth. I doubt you have any interest in the Silver Rook but that league will consist almost entirely of junior and improving players and will be very interesting to watch.
Sorry - I just checked the Silver Rook numbers and they'd not changed. More juniors is a very, very good thing :)

The numbers of teams is quite promising, yes, especially as Sheffield down to one team is definitely temporary. It'll be interesting to see how things work out for the real matches. I know that I wouldn't share a car with 3/4 people quite yet.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Meanwhile in Cumbria, several clubs are now open and it is hoped to play the extant league matches from the pre-Covid season before moving on.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:22 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm
Meanwhile in Cumbria, several clubs are now open and it is hoped to play the extant league matches from the pre-Covid season before moving on.
How is Barrow chess club going? Any new members since you've reopened.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 am

There have been a few new visitors this summer, including a junior who isn't that strong at the moment - but soon could be if they keep at it.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:54 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:11 am
There have been a few new visitors this summer, including a junior who isn't that strong at the moment - but soon could be if they keep at it.
Good to see that new people are turning up Matt.
I might have some great news from the Fylde coast of Lancashire soon.
So watch this space.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:00 am

The pattern that is emerging in Yorkshire is that the clubs which are reopening and trying to attract new members are doing so. I fully understand and appreciate why some players are less keen to restart at present (and often the club hinges around the work of a few individuals) but it's so frustrating that the best chance we've had to regroup and increase the player base for generations is being missed.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Urmston chess club in manchester will be opened this Monday
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:58 pm

Bury opened Tuesday night despite the main room being occupied by rugby players after a friendly v GM Police

3 new potential chess club members came down I gather
Any postings on here represent my personal views