Chess Covid regulations poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

How should chess competitions draft their rules for concerns about covid?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

1. Meet all concerns of those worried about virus transmission
11%
2. Bias towards those who are concerned about virus transmission, even if some of those concerned about personal freedom drop out
42%
3. Maximise participation
31%
4. Bias towards those who are concerned about personal freedom, even if some of those concerned about virus transmission drop out
11%
5. Meet all concerns of those worried about personal freedom
6%

Total votes: 36

Tim Spanton

Re: Chess Covid regulations poll

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:05 pm

Suppose I turn up wearing a mask and force my unmasked opponent to don one even though he says he has no objections to both of us not wearing one? Could I later remove my mask while still insisting my opponent wore his?

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:40 am

Twenty players at the Hastings Club rapidplay (10m + 5s) yesterday. Five juniors and most of the rest comfortably into middle years.

Most not wearing masks, some wearing them all the time, some chopping and changing. Hand sanitiser everywhere if wanted, and spare masks. Handshaking seemed haphazard. Windows open.

No problems of masked playing unmasked - everyone showed courtesy to their fellow club members as requested.

Three brand new players unknown to the ECF rating database. But we did have at least a couple of regulars absent because of health apprehensions.

Everyone played all the way through, seven rounds.

A success on the day, but time will tell.

PB

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:20 am

48 players attended my tournament in Oxford over the week end (6 rounds of 60+30).
It was quite pleasing to see many adult players in their first ever tournaments, and others who hadn't played in years!

Hopefully more tournaments will be organised so that we can keep these newcomers entertained and hooked to chess.