Chess Covid regulations poll

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.

How should chess competitions draft their rules for concerns about covid?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:32 am

1. Meet all concerns of those worried about virus transmission
11%
2. Bias towards those who are concerned about virus transmission, even if some of those concerned about personal freedom drop out
42%
3. Maximise participation
31%
4. Bias towards those who are concerned about personal freedom, even if some of those concerned about virus transmission drop out
11%
5. Meet all concerns of those worried about personal freedom
6%

Total votes: 36

Paul McKeown

Re: Chess Covid regulations poll

Post by Paul McKeown » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 pm

Nothing has changed with the Covid deniers. Their idiocy, egotism, dummy spitting, fake medicine, fake evidunce and anti-science diatribes continue in torrents of verbal diarrhoea beaten with as much statistical abuse as would make many blind. Bourbons.
Last edited by Paul McKeown on Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:01 pm

Angus French wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:40 pm
Again - for the third time now - I refer you to Trisha Greenhalgh's Twitter thread.
Which boils down to "what the heck, why not, and in any case we're going to make you wear them for the rest of your miserable lives so get used to it.
Also, I note that the Telegraph piece refers to the Danish study on masks without any mention of criticisms of the study.
Which are?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:15 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:01 pm
Angus French wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:40 pm
Again - for the third time now - I refer you to Trisha Greenhalgh's Twitter thread.
Which boils down to "what the heck, why not, and in any case we're going to make you wear them for the rest of your miserable lives so get used to it.
It's an up-to-date review of scientific thinking. If you want to challenge any specific point then please go ahead - but with creditable sources as back up please, rather than silly comments such as "in any case we're going to make you wear them for the rest of your miserable lives so get used to it".
NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:01 pm
Also, I note that the Telegraph piece refers to the Danish study on masks without any mention of criticisms of the study.
Which are?
Well there was the response in the Spectator which pointed out what appear to be various fundamental flaws in the study (effectiveness of masks only considered from the perspective of the mask wearer; no apparent involvement of clinical trials expertise; no appreciation of the complex dynamics of virus spread; small sample size; masks not worn at home; short intervention period which could result in both false positives and false negatives; use of a delisted antibody test; positive swab test results glossed over) and there's this summary (tweet 33 in thread), both as already mentioned.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 pm
Nothing has changed with the Covid deniers. Their idiocy, egotism, dummy spitting, fake medicine, fake evidunce and anti-science diatribes continue in torrents of verbal diarrhoea beaten with as much statistical abuse as would make many blind. Bourbons.
For your information this “Covid denier” has had both of his shots :lol:

Can it be anti science when it’s a scientist making the claims, or is the wrong sort of science for you? I would have though only blinkered people look at only one source of evidence

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 am

Unfortunately, most media coverage of science is pretty awful. You do need to read the original paper. (The classic example was a newspaper screaming that drinking instant coffee doubled your chance of getting some specific cancer. I found the paper, and sure enough, if you drank instant coffee, there was a 2 in a million chance you would get that cancer; if you didn't drink instant coffee, it was 1 in a million... This was put in a table without comment and the only bit the newspaper used out of a lengthy report.) The other problem is that it is not unusual for someone to publish a paper saying "We did X and Y happened", then someone else tries to repeat the work and Y didn't happen. Scientists say, "Oh, that's interesting" and more people repeat the work and eventually decide if Y happened or not and why the confusion arose. Sometimes, because people didn't actually do X..., or someone asked the wrong question.

And a problem with covid is that it keeps changing. (If you had boiling water to a tea bag, you always get a cup of tea, you don't suddenly get a cup of coffee.) Even if covid didn't change, different people would react differently to it.

As for masks, any sort of face covering helps protect you and other people. Some protect better than others.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:14 am

Gary Cook wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 am
Paul McKeown wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 pm
For your information this “Covid denier” has had both of his shots :lol:

Can it be anti science when it’s a scientist making the claims, or is the wrong sort of science for you? I would have though only blinkered people look at only one source of evidence
I have no intention of wrestling in a mire of shite; you would undoubtedly delight in the process.

I would point out that the opinion of one "scientist" doesn't make "science". That isn't how science works. Any fool, even one with a scad of doctorates hanging out of their arse can still talk shite from same said orifice. That applies particularly where controversial but marginal positions can temporarily sustain a vocal political or industrial lobby. (One might think of Dr. Andrew Wakefield for example.) What science requires is well-analysed and documented statistical data to support any given proposition. In your case, hanging onto your cherry-picked "scientist's" rambling has been comprehensively debunked by the posts of other commentators here, quoting from scientists who have picked apart a poorly constructed paper and showed it to have sufficient shortcomings to leave any conclusion it may have come to moot. Naturally, you have chosen to ignore the information and wisdom provided by these other posters: I expected no less.

Gary Cook

Post by Gary Cook » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:02 am

As for masks, any sort of face covering helps protect you and other people. Some protect better than others.
Especially when worn when cycling or alone in a car :wink:

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:43 pm

The Independent is reporting;

‘Officials in the Covid-19 taskforce have been drawing up proposals that could see baseline measures, such as mask-wearing, social distancing and guidance on working from home, reintroduced in England by next month.

The taskforce is exploring the possibility of implementing the restrictions on a local, regional or national basis.’

It sounds a lot like we’ve not lasted any longer than the Netherlands did with no restrictions - 3 weeks! I shall await the deep joy of another Boris U-turn press conference in the next week or so.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:26 pm

Possibly wearing garments such as these

will allow more chess players to resume OTB chess.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:43 pm

‘Officials in the Covid-19 taskforce have been drawing up proposals that could see baseline measures, such as mask-wearing, social distancing and guidance on working from home, reintroduced in England by next month.

The taskforce is exploring the possibility of implementing the restrictions on a local, regional or national basis.’

It sounds a lot like we’ve not lasted any longer than the Netherlands did with no restrictions - 3 weeks! I shall await the deep joy of another Boris U-turn press conference in the next week or so.
That would be ironic with cases trending downwards.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

It looks like it may have peaked well under predictions but a little too early to tell.
HDCA President

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:50 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:43 pm

That would be ironic with cases trending downwards.

It looks like it may have peaked well under predictions but a little too early to tell.
Christina Pagel thinks it likely we haven't peaked. It seems the Euros contributed to high case numbers the week before last (tweet 5 of thread).
Last edited by Angus French on Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:51 pm

"That would be ironic with cases trending downwards.

It looks like it may have peaked well under predictions but a little too early to tell."

Indeed, we have only been "open" a week, so I would expect any "extra" cases to show up soon, rather than already.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 pm

Ah, another academic who relies upon her funding from China. I realise that this will get me labelled here as some kind of a racist, but I am not convinced that the Chinese Communist Party has my best interests at heart.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Swain

Post by John Swain » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:22 pm
Ah, another academic who relies upon her funding from China. I realise that this will get me labelled here as some kind of a racist, but I am not convinced that the Chinese Communist Party has my best interests at heart.
I am intrigued by your claim that Prof. Christina Pagel (UCL) "relies upon her funding from China".

I have looked very briefly for evidence of this and failed to find any. Please elucidate.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 pm

John,

I found this article which may be the sort of thing Nick has in mind given UCL is cited. https://unherd.com/2020/07/our-universi ... -on-china/. Nick's conclusions are of course his own.