FIDE Rule Changes?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Bryant

Re: FIDE Rule Changes?

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:22 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: But have no doubt, FIDE has cost Kirsan considerable sums. Obviously he thinks the benefits outweigh the costs.

Stewart Reuben
What I was alluding to Stewart, perhaps a little too obliquely, was the possiblity that was is now Kiran's money didn't start off as such. I'm quite sure, as you say, that the chappie has lobbed a large wad at FIDE. Was it his money though?

E.g.
From the aforementioned Hans Ree book (yours from Chess & Bridge for a scandalously low £5 btw)

"There is nary a product he has not mentioned as a source of his wealth. All of it strictly honest. But his enemies say he sold forty thousand tons of Kalymkian oil to a Western firm and had the proceeds of this sale of state property deposited to his personal bank account."

Ree also observes that in post soviet times Communist Party Official to zillionaire was a relatively common career path but that the switch

"It was seldom accomplished by dint of honest labour."

Kirsan, meetings with aliens and all, is far from a joke.

Jonathan Bryant

Re: FIDE Rule Changes?

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:23 pm

Richard Bates wrote: I presume the insinuation was a questioning of the extent to which the money used was legitimately earned.
That's more what I was getting at anything - execept I wasn't trying to insinuate anything (since I have no original knowledge on this subject) just make a reference to what I read in Human Comedy i.e. is already in the public domain

... see previous post for a snippet.

Although of course turning up 10 minutes for a game of chess is what's really embarrassing for the world game.