Can anyone tell me why Scarbrough second biggest weekender

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ian Lamb

Can anyone tell me why Scarbrough second biggest weekender

Post by Ian Lamb » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:08 pm

is clashing with 4ncls that just crazy surley this clash can be avoided.Iam sure the 4ncl got there date after scarbrough had theres as i know scarbrough book well in advance.and a result not a single titled player playing . http://scarboroughchesscongress.co.uk/Entries.aspx

Peter Rhodes

Re: can anyone tell me why scarbrough th second bigest weeknder

Post by Peter Rhodes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:41 am

Maybe someone wanted to eliminate the competition :D

I looked at the link, you can see the entrants in advance - that's a really nice touch. Really good website.
Chess Amateur.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:26 pm

Ian Lamb wrote:and a result not a single titled player playing
Jonathan Hawkins is a titled player. FM, I think.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:44 pm

Scarborough is booked a year in advance. In fact it is booked FIVE years in advance!!!

This year's open entry is well up on recent ones despite the clash.

A benefit of the clash is that the players who normally act as cannon fodder for the GMs are getting a real chance to win £500. :D

Dates: 2010 22nd-24th Oct 2011 21st-23rd Oct 2012 19th-21st Oct

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:07 pm

i dint mean fm I mean Gm or Im Jonathan Hawkins worth an Im at least from what i seen recently maybe gm just need norms and fide rating higer but he does not play a lot of fide chess so his rating criminally under rated .

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:44 pm

When booking 4NCL venues I try to avoid clashes with major events as far as possible. There are, however, so many events these days that avoiding them all is a near impossible task, particularly given that the venues we use usually have fairly restricted availabilty. I try where I can in particular to avoid clashes with those events that specifically ask me to do this (for example Blackpool and the British Rapidplay), although Scarborough have never asked me to do so. The idea that that "someone wants to eliminate the competition" is of course absurd.

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Mike Truran wrote:The idea that that "someone wants to eliminate the competition" is of course absurd.

Indeed so Mike. In fact that was my quote - although it was meant very "tounge in cheek" hence the smiley afterwards.
I'll try to remember in future that jokey throw-away comments can be taken seriously and avoid doing so ! To be honest I would see this kind of event as so professional to be above suspicion. Point taken anyway.
Chess Amateur.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:56 pm

Apologies Peter - I completely missed the smiley (another sign I'm getting older). Had I noticed it I would have been less sanctimonious!

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:52 am

scarbrough need to make a point of that then but iam suprised beacuse Andrew butterworth connected to Scarbrough and he also does bookstall for 4ncl hopefully next year as now alex has given dates for next 5 years they wont clash .Allex can you let us know the tourny leaders at scarbrough when you get chance i usally play there but i got to much business with work on at the min to play which is a real shame as i like the congress and the bookstall is the best around in the uk in my view.

Alex McFarlane

Re: Can anyone tell me why Scarbrough second biggest weekender

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 am

In the Open Hawkins 3 pts/3 followed on 2.5 by Addison, Barnes, Woodcock, Richardson and Dargan.

I'll post winners asap.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:46 am

Open 47 entrants
Major (78) Ron Stather, Francis Best 3/3
INTER (94) Nev Pearce, MJ Cawston, Robt Letton 3/3
Minor (69) John Saxton, Neil Broach 3/3
Foundation (37) Tony Butler, Martin Carter, Joe O'Donell 3/3

Now back to patrolling!!!

David Pardoe

Post by David Pardoe » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am

A few points....
Firstly, I`m tempted to say...does this really matter?
Surely we can stand having more than one BIG class event running across the UK at any given weekend....I think Scarborough s`success proves that to be the case. Three cheers for Scarborough..its been on my list for a long time, so hopefully one day I`ll get the chance to play there.
Another point......I`m tempted to say, are we really bothered about these so called GMs, who might deem to avail themselves of an honoured presence at Scarborough or other events. One gets the impression that sometimes our congresses are `not good enough` for some of these people. Certainly at the `British`, and at Hastings, our top brass are frequently noticeable by there absence.....which is disappointing, because UK chess does benefit by having top players participating across our domestic venues. I know that many of our `Pro`s.. choose to play abroad because the prize funds are seemingly more attractive...I suppose that is quite understandable.
But also, by them not being at Scarborough, it gives many others a better opportunity of shinning....and taking home some `lolly`, that seems to disappear down the throats of too few `select` top guns, who, some feel, just go round mopping up the top prizes....so, good to see this spread around a bit.
On another tac....I`d like to see some of our `top brass` get out on the streets and be a bit more visible. It would be great if they were to do `promotion weekends`, where our top GMs hit the streets of our big towns, and gave some `rolling Simul`s...to local weekend shoppers. Perhaps a board fee could be charged to each player, with prizes for anyone who could `bag a GM scalp`...! Imagine going home and telling your family that you`d just beaten a top GM....!
Some time ago, Vic Knox gave something like this in the Stockport Precinct....it proved most successful, and is a testimony to the generousity of that player........
Such an event, with donation buckets saying `SUPPORT THE BCF....SUPPORT LOCAL CHESS...JOIN YOUR LOCAL CHESS CLUB, etc.... could help boost the coffers, and maybe get some new blood into our clubs...... It would be a great chance fot our top guns to help boost/support British Chess. A bit of publicity material (and maybe some media presence...) at such events would also help. British chess must do more to promote itself.....
Ian asked about the current positions at Scarborough...very interesting. Can we get the media a bit more involved in this.
Some `Match of the day` edited highlights (and analysis/comments) from some of these events, on a Saturday/Sunday/Monday night (just occasionally...), might be really good...with the cameras rolling from high points discretely placed to pick up the action across the boards....and Raymond Keene, Bill Hartson (or others..), doing the commentaries. This, I`m sure woulde be well received in the chess community, help drive up interest (with the help of some contact information..), and maybe more importantly, help to attract more sponsorship. With a big internet market for chess, its obvious that we have a big market pool of players out there....can we tap this market, and drive British chess out of the dark ages and into the 21st century.....
On another tac.....I do wonder about that 4NCL event at times...with all those `bussed in` foriegn GMs...but maybe its not a bad thing. I just look at English football sometimes, and wonder if we`d have stronger domestic footballers if we did not have quite so many foriegners involved....and same goes with Managers, and club owners. Our home grown British talant is being choked off by the pressures of finance, big business...MONEY....etc. And player wages in top clubs are just obscene......if only some of this money were channelled into our lower division clubs, we could create a much stronger `home base` of new players coming into english football....and maybe more then, going on to the National team, which seems starved of talent..ironically it takes an Italian manager to get them going forward....?
So....4NCL, I think should be downsized, and integrated into the BCF framework. When I say downsized, I mean maybe chop out the lower division(s), and free up more players to play at Congresses like Scarborough. Someone made the point that our chess calander is `chocca` at the moment. But another point might be that these players and teams (in NCL div 3, etc....could perhaps play instead in the counties competitions more frequently. Maybe the counties event could be slightly rejigged to be a `Towns & Counties` competition...and absorb some of the teams/players that currently play in 4NCL.
Many possibilities......
BRING BACK THE BCF

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Last Round Leaders
Open: Hawkins, Dargan 3.5
Major: Best, Gartside 4
Inter: Cawston, 4
Minor: Russell 4
Foundation: O'Donnell, Carter 4

Final results will be posted in the appropriate section of this forum.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:50 pm

thanks for those alex from other rounds.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:08 pm

Full list of prizewinners now posted.

Website will be updated tomorrow. Food..... FOOD ...... FOOD