Emma Raducanu’s results

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

Re: Emma Raducanu’s results

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:36 am

The ATP system for men has tried to take into consideration the impact of the pandemic, in part by allowing participants to take the better of their results in a tournament over the last eighteen months, so in the case of the US Open the 2019 and 2020 winners were defending the same number of points. Such an approach will delay the progress up the rankings of any new players. The ATP system is now reverting substantively to the pre COVID system and there may be some dramatic changes as a result. i suspect a similar approach has been taken by the WTA.

But women's tennis does have more potential winners. There are currently 8 players in the top 100 who have held the number 1 ranking, and others who have won a Slam without reaching the number 1 spot. By contrast the men's draw contained just three former Slam winners - Djokovic, Cilic and Murray.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am

Cheating in Tennis was mentioned. Not cheating but gamesmanship (or gameswomanship)

It's the loud grunting on every shot that some players use, is that not off putting or is that the intent.
Imagine doing that after every move at chess. (A future TV comedy chess sketch that one or has it already be done?)

Back to chess. I'm thinking Morphy, Capablanca, Tal and Fischer all caused quite a stir when they first appeared on the scene.
There were objections raised because Capablanca was invited to play in San Sebastian 1911 which he won.
Fischer became famous due to one game he played when he was 13.

But Matt's choice, Kasparov, then without an official FIDE grade winning Banja Luka in 1979 will take some beating.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:55 am

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am
It's the loud grunting on every shot that some players use, is that not off putting or is that the intent.
This gag via Clive James circa 1974
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:56 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:13 am
PS. Agree with this: "[tennis] world rankings are [not as accurate as they could be] and need recalibrating to account for the pandemic's effects on training and competition."
I'd be very surprised if they don't very accurately measure what they set out to measure. That isn't ability, it's success. If a player chooses not to play for a little while their ranking will drop through inactivity.

In Raducanu's case, it's said she will be world number 23 after the US Open. Winning the US Open got her 2000 ranking points, I think. That's the difference between being ranked 23rd and about 96th.

With the method tennis uses you'd expect any player to jump up the world rankings after an unexpected good result and then drop back down again a year later if they can't repeat it.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:04 pm

There are actually two different indicators of performance. The 'ranking' normally based on the last twelve months and which normally determines seeding, and the 'race' which measures points collected from Jan 1. On the latter Raducanu is placed 14th.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:59 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:04 pm
There are actually two different indicators of performance. The 'ranking' normally based on the last twelve months and which normally determines seeding, and the 'race' which measures points collected from Jan 1. On the latter Raducanu is placed 14th.
Race shows Emma up 109 places and Leylah up 42
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:17 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 am

But Matt's choice, Kasparov, then without an official FIDE grade winning Banja Luka in 1979 will take some beating.
As with Capa in his first major tournament, at least one GM at Banja Luka objected to an untitled unrated player competing.

Of course, he was one of those who GK beat.

Kasparov had scored 50% in his first USSR Championship months earlier, so the initiated knew he was strong enough to play there.

But I doubt that any expected him to run away with it as he actually did.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)