New players joining clubs

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
J T Melsom

New players joining clubs

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm

Whilst I'd like to think that all club members can endeavour to be welcoming to new players, there are some who have more of an aptitude than others. It is often noted how difficult it is to retain players looking to bridge the gap between casual chess and match chess. What methods have people used that have proved fruitful, and has any club put somebody specifically in charge of new players?

Stephen Westmoreland

Re: New players joining clubs

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:21 pm

We have found that splitting match nights and club nights helps. Also, we put in a flexible league that allows teams to move team sizes to suit. With a no pressure play environment, we are keeping our new players and introducing them to team play. The Huddersfield League in general is very friendly and we try to match people up as evenly as we can.
HDCA President

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:55 pm

Stephen thanks. Some years ago I identified that club nights were essentially anti social and would have liked to have ring-fenced time for non match chess, but the demands of the fixture list and players being involved in other competitions thwarted me. Given the local league is likely to reduce in size, I'm hopeful I can make things more interesting.Interested in the flexible league concept-are the rules anywhere? It sounds better than setting the rules by lowest common denominator which often becomes a race to the bottom in terms of team sizes etc.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:14 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:30 pm
Whilst I'd like to think that all club members can endeavour to be welcoming to new players, there are some who have more of an aptitude than others. It is often noted how difficult it is to retain players looking to bridge the gap between casual chess and match chess. What methods have people used that have proved fruitful, and has any club put somebody specifically in charge of new players?
This is a great topic that you have started Mr Melsom.
Sorry I don't know your christian name.
I'll report what we have been doing at Poulton-le-Fylde and Cleveleys Chess Clubs for Juniors for new beginners and members soon.
Sadly I have to dash to the Blackpool & Fylde Chess League AGM in 15 minutes.
I will probably have some news to report on this aswell.
Perhaps someone could start a New Topic on ideas of how to grow membership of chess clubs.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:16 pm

At my daughter's rugby at the moment. If you drop me your email I will send in the rules when home. The LMS allows you to increase team sizes at will and agreement with an opposition captain, who is also looking to blood new ones in, really helps.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:07 pm

Hi Simon - We found that local paper advertising and facebook community groups help with new people.
HDCA President

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:40 pm

We used Facebook groups to highlight the chess club and other clubs near by to support then.

Also you never know who will be the next michael Adam’s out there?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:48 pm

I thought it is worth mentioning that tonight we have 7 new players in a match between Holmfirth and Huddersfield, with 14 playing in total. Due to a horrid cold sweeping the school and hitting parents, it would have been 18. Huddersfield have a website advertising, where we get applications. We have also hit local Facebook community sites and have a dedicated Facebook site of our own. This led to people contacting us on the back of the Queen's Gambit series and Streaming during lockdown. A lot of our players are low rated but more establish members enjoy coaching and we have more balance now. The new players keep coming back, so we are doing something right.
HDCA President