Old Chess Magazines

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Smith

Old Chess Magazines

Post by Andrew Smith » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:36 pm

I have a few boxes of old CHESS magazines and BCM's and a more limited number of New in Chess magazines that realistically, I am never going to look at again. Some are in good condition and some are a bit 'tatty'. Any ideas what to do with them ? The chess playing children I come in contact with, are probably not going to be interested in them.

Jonathan Bryant

Re: Old Chess Magazines

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Define "old".

I wouldn't have thought of the late 80s as a long time ago until one of the new up and comers described the Zaitsev as "really old" theory.

There are places that might buy them - at least places like Tony Peterson sell them so shops like his must buy them in the first place - but depending on how long ago we're talking about I'm don't know how much you'd get. No a lot I'd imagine.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:51 pm

Tony Peterson is a good suggestion, there's Francis Bowers at https://chessbower.com/ also. I sometimes see old magazines at the "Bookbarn" in Farrington Gurney https://www.bookbarninternational.com/ (but that's a better place to buy than sell).

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:34 pm

Andrew, I would like to buy them, depending on cost. Why not say what you want for them, including cost of postage? If I don't buy them, then perhaps someone else will.

Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 am

Hi John,
Thank you for your interest. Whatever you considered reasonable would be fine with me as I am not doing it to raise cash. Perhaps if you email me on [email protected] we can chat about it. Thanks also to to Jonathan, and Kevin for your helpful suggestions.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:34 pm

What years do these magazines cover?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)