New online phenomenon

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
JustinHorton

Re: New online phenomenon

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:14 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:46 pm
Give these people the benefit of the doubt ...
As we've been specifically discussing the move 1 h4 in the context of self-described trolling, and of subsequent moves that can't possibly be thought of as good, I think we were past that point before we started.

(Anyway, if anybody plays 1 h4 against me, that game's getting aborted, end of story.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 pm
When you play a game of chess, or anything else, you're not just seeking to win the game, you're seeking to have a good game. This goes especially if it's a friendly and it implies both players doing their best and showing rspect to their opponent. If you played a game of, say, tennis or snooker, and youur opponent just messed about, deliberately playing bad shots just to try and prove they could win anyway, you might well go on to win but you probably would not feel you had enjoyed the experience and you would probably not want to play the same opponent again.
Methinks this is assigning anonymous anonymous fast blitz on the internet a higher level of dignity than it possesses.

On the other end of the game - I had a match recently where towards the end of a level game someone tried to flag me on K+R vs K+R. Part and parcel of bullet, a bit unclassy in 3+0, but this was 3+2 - and I genuinely didn't (and don't) understand what the intent was. With an increment 15 seconds is ages.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:18 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:13 am
Methinks this is assigning anonymous anonymous fast blitz on the internet a higher level of dignity than it possesses.
Conversely, if you set out to annoy people why complain if they get annoyed?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
On the other end of the game - I had a match recently where towards the end of a level game someone tried to flag me on K+R vs K+R. Part and parcel of bullet, a bit unclassy in 3+0, but this was 3+2 - and I genuinely didn't (and don't) understand what the intent was. With an increment 15 seconds is ages.
I've been on an arbiting team that watched that happen in an OTB game with increments. Fortunately, it was on a live board, so we could step in after 75 moves of this nonsense.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:18 am
Joseph Conlon wrote:
Conversely, if you set out to annoy people why complain if they get annoyed?
I don't think I am doing either. I only play in the strictly anonymous pool when I am in the mood for nonsense, so I play for my own enjoyment. If the opponent objects and aborts the game, I'm not offended.

What I do find interesting is that we disagree on the different social levels to the encounter depending on the level of anonymity. In regular lichess, against pseudonymous accounts, I feel the level of social obligation you describe (except in bullet; in 1+0 bullet I really think anything at all goes). But I feel differently for truly anonymous games, whereas I think you see the same social obligation in all cases.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am
Joseph Conlon wrote:
I've been on an arbiting team that watched that happen in an OTB game with increments. Fortunately, it was on a live board, so we could step in after 75 moves of this nonsense.
I hope the increment wasn't 30 seconds...kids I presume.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:04 am

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:14 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:25 am
Joseph Conlon wrote:
I hope the increment wasn't 30 seconds...kids I presume.
10 seconds, and no, the person playing for the win wasn't a junior. (They were, in fact, eligible for age-restricted tournaments at the other end of the scale.)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:09 am

An example. I just played a game, it lasted fourteen moves, ended with a check. All White's moves were pawn moves, because, it transpires, my opponent was trying to see how many pawn moves they can make in a row.

Ho ho very amusing, but how amusing is that for the opponent, in this instance me? They've had a laugh - I've had my time wasted. And it seems to me that that's a very childish way to approach a game of chess, or come to that anything else - all that matters is whether I have a laugh, never mind if I annoy anybody else.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:14 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:46 pm
Give these people the benefit of the doubt ...
As we've been specifically discussing the move 1 h4 in the context of self-described trolling, and of subsequent moves that can't possibly be thought of as good, I think we were past that point before we started.

(Anyway, if anybody plays 1 h4 against me, that game's getting aborted, end of story.)
Presumably you deign to play against 1 a3, 1 c3, 1 b4 and 1 h3? Are 1 f3 and 1 g4 borderline?

I tease. I know what to play against Justin at blitz now, if only I could know when I am playing him (1 d4. then 2 h4)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:28 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 am
I know what to play against Justin at blitz now, if only I could know when I am playing him (1 d4. then 2 h4)
That would probably get you blocked though
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:30 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:09 am
An example. I just played a game, it lasted fourteen moves, ended with a check. All White's moves were pawn moves, because, it transpires, my opponent was trying to see how many pawn moves they can make in a row.

Ho ho very amusing, but how amusing is that for the opponent, in this instance me? They've had a laugh - I've had my time wasted. And it seems to me that that's a very childish way to approach a game of chess, or come to that anything else - all that matters is whether I have a laugh, never mind if I annoy anybody else.
That I agree with. similarly I have blocked people who only seem to try to win on time, including playing on K + R v K + R. I do value (roughly) fair conclusions, within the admittedly distorted world of bullet where it is a given that you might need actually to deliver mate on time. But this is just all so far removed from playing 1.h4, in my view ...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:32 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:28 am
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:26 am
I know what to play against Justin at blitz now, if only I could know when I am playing him (1 d4. then 2 h4)
That would probably get you blocked though
oh you dodge the curious questions. what are the other first moves which would make you abort?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am

I think maybe people shouldn't be seeking to see exactly how much they can get away with: the idea is not to go out with that kind of head on.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:03 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:38 am
I think maybe people shouldn't be seeking to see exactly how much they can get away with: the idea is not to go out with that kind of head on.
I thought you'd dodge the question :lol:

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:05 pm

It's kind of an extension of the same thing, isn't it.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com