New online phenomenon

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Re: New online phenomenon

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:01 am

Although I don't always agree with Justin I have to say I feel he is completely in the right in this case - resignation rather then timeout means the player chose to end the game at that point because they had not got the advantage they felt their "theory" entitled them to .
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:03 pm

Here is a fresh one today - no doubt in my mind that this player threw his toys out of the pram after failing to hack a win with this opening and stormed off.

https://lichess.org/69kTlWSQh8uf
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Check this one out
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:59 pm

I can almost guarantee that he was expecting you to play Nb6, pre moved his queen in anticipation and then was so angry at losing a tempo he just couldnt face playing on.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 pm

Plausibly it's slightly different - that they were using the occasion for opening practice and having made the error in move order they decided the exercise no longer had any value.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Williamson

Post by Kevin Williamson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:55 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 pm
Plausibly it's slightly different - that they were using the occasion for opening practice and having made the error in move order they decided the exercise no longer had any value.
That could be it, especially as it was a casual game. No damage to rating and then just move on to another opponent who may play the line they were hoping to face.

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:41 pm

I remember on one server that any aborts before move three for White was played didnt count for rating (a player could just hit "abort").

A common tactic became 1.d4 g6; 2.Bh6 - hoping for a pre-moved Bg7 ... and if Black didnt pre-move Bg7 just abort and start again

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Paul Dargan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:41 pm
A common tactic became 1.d4 g6; 2.Bh6 - hoping for a pre-moved Bg7 ... and if Black didnt pre-move Bg7 just abort and start again
This is the sort of anecdote which convinces me that online games really should be FIDE rated.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:13 pm

Eyebrow-raising profile in which the grading for each discipline is one point higher than the previous one. No, I have no idea why anybody might wish to do this and it might very well be legitimate.

"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:59 pm

That is weird, and surely it cannot be easy to fix that?

I played an arena last week, where I reached 2/2 in one move. My first opponent (400 below me) failed to move as white, and the second one (170 below me) failed to move as black, realising that 1.e4 is very strong. Of course, they might have wandered away from the computer, or the phone rang, or the dog wanted to go out, but one or both might have decided to wait for an easier game, (which they might have got from me anyway.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:31 pm

It is only this thread which makes me wonder whether I am wrong to maintain my abstinence from the pleasures of online rated chess.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:45 am

"It is only this thread which makes me wonder whether I am wrong to maintain my abstinence from the pleasures of online rated chess."

I don't think it's a pleasure - it's just better than nothing. The only benefits are (a) that if you lose, it doesn't matter, (b) if you win you can laugh openly at your opponent, and (c) you can play different openings, see (a). I suppose there's a (d), it's something else to complain about. Oh, and (e), you can try to defend against a violent pawn-storm from Bogdan Lalic, which is something rarely experienced in normal chess.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:07 am

To reply to Nick and Kevin, I agree that it has been better than no chess for the past 22 months, but for me it has given a much broader range of opponents than I would normally have got. For example, as a modest rated club player, I got to play against 3 former British champions, numerous other GMs/IMs and other extremely strong players, who I would never get near with my usual club/county/4NCL boards. Predictable results, of course, but I would probably say a unique experience in the context of my lifetime chess ‘career’.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:45 am
I don't think it's a pleasure - it's just better than nothing.
I am much more positive than that. I thoroughly enjoy the two ECF online events on Thursday and Friday evenings. (Kevin plays in the Friday one.) On those evenings I won't be giving them up for OTB on a regular basis.

Since OTB started up again, I have played three games in County matches, won one County match game by default, and played GM Nikita Vitiugov in a simul.

I have found two things difficult. I expected the first, but not the second.

The first is that I have had to remember that if I pick up a piece and put it back, I cannot then move something else.

The second is that I have had trouble keeping score.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:48 pm

Maybe I was a bit gloomy as I didn't feel I was playing well, although that didn't seem to affect the results much. I have produced some truly awesome swindles online, including several in the last 72 hours. David and I have had some entertaining games, and I am enjoying my match with Nigel Towers, 76 games so far... It is actually fun and most opponents are pleasant. And it's revealed a few holes in my opening knowledge, which I must fix before I play real games again.

I never really liked online chess, but now even if I were playing normally, I would probably join a random arena at times, so I will try to be more positive!