My Game's 1st Article

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Johnny M Wahl

My Game's 1st Article

Post by Johnny M Wahl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Hey all, look my game got it's 1st article written about it.
http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5869

J T Melsom

Re: My Game's 1st Article

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:18 pm

Am I the only person bemused by people taking games such as chess which are rich in history and complexity, and then trying to invent derivatives? :roll:

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:58 pm

J T Melsom wrote:Am I the only person bemused by people taking games such as chess which are rich in history and complexity, and then trying to invent derivatives? :roll:
Indeed not ... and Chessbase publish any old shite/advertising/press releases as 'news' on their website I'm afraid. Not that I dont wish the OP commercial success - I just don't see what his game has got to do with chess.

John Wright

Post by John Wright » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:23 pm

This brings to mind the changing fortunes of cricket. Dying out in this country until the emergence of T20, a more popular form of the game.

All the talk in other threads about the image of chess and how to spread its popularity, yet we are quick to dismiss different forms of the game. If a chess -variant catches on there will be a positive knock-on effect for the "real" game in my opinion.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:50 pm

John Wright wrote:This brings to mind the changing fortunes of cricket. Dying out in this country until the emergence of T20, a more popular form of the game.

All the talk in other threads about the image of chess and how to spread its popularity, yet we are quick to dismiss different forms of the game. If a chess -variant catches on there will be a positive knock-on effect for the "real" game in my opinion.
Perhaps, although I would suggest blitz chess is a closer analogy to limited overs cricket. Variants are more like suggesting replacing cricket with baseball IMHO.

John Wright

Post by John Wright » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:21 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
John Wright wrote:This brings to mind the changing fortunes of cricket. Dying out in this country until the emergence of T20, a more popular form of the game.

Perhaps, although I would suggest blitz chess is a closer analogy to limited overs cricket. Variants are more like suggesting replacing cricket with baseball IMHO.
agreed, but who said anything about replacing.

kids might have fun with the new game at xmas. then later on get a chess set and book for the birthday.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:00 pm

This is not a cricket forum so I'll be brief. 20:20 in the sense of limited over evening games isn't new being the regular diet of evening leagues for a long time. Its the attempts to market it and introduce it at the first class level which are new. And cricket wasn't dying. Attendances at the county championship in recent years are actually up. 20:20 takes place at the most attractive times of year for cricket, thereby robbing many enthusiasts of a full days play on a summer day, and forcing them to put jumpers on in spring and autumn. Superficial glitzy promotion of sport may attract some, but is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:18 pm

J T Melsom wrote:Superficial glitzy promotion of sport may attract some, but is a poor substitute for the real thing.
Agreed. There is a healthy balance - and it certainly doesn't mean pushing the genuine article into the background for the benefit of a perceived attention deficit generation.
International Arbiter, FIDE Instructor
Richmond Junior Chess Club
Fulham Junior Chess Club
ECF Games Played Abroad Administrator

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:22 pm

We shouldn't prolong this, but it is always interesting that these debates tend to get polarised between traditionalists/conservatives and modernisers. There are many who are passionate about their chosen pastime, and actively contribute to it, and yet remain unconvinced by many of the stunts the marketing people would have us swallow.

James Coleman

Post by James Coleman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:25 pm

I only play cricket on the internet these days :)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:25 pm

John Wright wrote:
kids might have fun with the new game at xmas. then later on get a chess set and book for the birthday.

Well yes they might, but to return to the sporting analogy encouraging kids to play baseball seems a rather odd strategy for getting more people interested in cricket (any version). I like baseball btw.

To be fair to the OP I don't think he's claiming his game will have any benefit for chess per se. He just happens to think inventing a variant is worth doing. I happen to disagree.

[Although I'll be very happy to concede I was wrong if Capture the King is still being played in 2509)

Peter Rhodes

Post by Peter Rhodes » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:42 pm

The timing of this is just right for the xmas market. I think I would lose count of the amount of games I recieved from aunts+uncles who had no idea what to buy me as a child.

Looking at the rules - it's far from simple.

You can move your King into check unless their are only 2 players left.
Pawns move one or two squares at any time - and can change direction.
Promotion is considered "pawn rescue", and you cannot promote to a piece that has not already been captured.
There are some rules that are ambiguous, and you use "house guidelines". Basically like deciding whether you have one or two shots on the Black in a game of pool, free ball after a fowl etc etc. I would assume if you don't agree certain rules before the game starts - you end up with your kids screaming at each other while you are trying to watch the Wizard of Oz.
Chess Amateur.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:38 pm

James Coleman wrote:I only play cricket on the internet these days :)
I prefer swimming and regularly go to playswim.com for practise...

On-line swimming uses less chlorine making it more popular with dolphin lover everywhere.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Wilf Arnold

Post by Wilf Arnold » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:20 pm

John Upham wrote:
James Coleman wrote:I only play cricket on the internet these days :)
I prefer swimming and regularly go to playswim.com for practise...

On-line swimming uses less chlorine making it more popular with dolphin lover everywhere.
When I googled 'dolphin lovers' I didn't get any swimming sites - and my McAfee site advisor crashed! :oops: