is it possible any longer to play blitz on chess.com?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Jonathan Rogers

is it possible any longer to play blitz on chess.com?

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:43 pm

It is probably a blessing for me that I cannot. But I am curious that I can never find an opponent there. Is it just me, or have over the last year or so vast numbers of people apparently migrated to lichess or other platforms? Did I miss some announcement?

(I never seem to have to wait more than five seconds on lichess. Which, of course, is also bad for me).

Joey Stewart

Re: is it possible any longer to play blitz on chess.com?

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:50 pm

You should easily be able to find blitz opponents on chess.com - it's the largest chess site in the world and has a very active blitz community. Are you maybe asking for some sort of unusual time control like 8/8 or something - that might be why people are not spotting your game request?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 am

No, normally 2 minute chess or one minute plus one. Almost exactly the same as I do on lichess but with utterly opposite results. on chess.com the search just goes on forever and I give up. I have no such problems with their puzzle challenges against other users, just with the games.

Well, obviously it is a personal mystery ...

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:29 am

Well, I just tested this and I could find a game on 1+1 easily enough.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:50 pm

....Qxf3. A suckerpunch.

An opening in which White has to be very careful, if Black delays castling.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:52 pm

Evidently my unique problem then. Not that I especially want to resolve it now, I was really just curious whether others encountered it too.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 pm

I feel like chess.com suffers much more from connection issues then lichess - perhaps a new internet provider might be in order (and as a bonus tip, switch internet through a cashback or price comparison website and you can get a £100 ish bonus)
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:37 pm

Chess.com blitz is always a harsh reality check for me - I tend to stick to my crummy free app on my phone where I have 2 million coins and a rating higher than Magnus :lol:
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 pm
I feel like chess.com suffers much more from connection issues then lichess - perhaps a new internet provider might be in order (and as a bonus tip, switch internet through a cashback or price comparison website and you can get a £100 ish bonus)
The trouble with chess.com is a bloated website, even as a paid member. The lichess experience is plain but slicker and quicker. Also, the two clocks seem to operate differently. A couple of seconds left on lichess is okay; a couple of seconds left on chess.com means I've already lost.

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:57 pm

I have not been able to play Live Chess on chess.com for some months - it will not connect - I've put it down to a firewall of some sort in my computer (belongs to my employer).
I have no such problems with LiChess - so just play live chess there. I stick with chess.com for daily chess