Fide Sanctions

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Fide Sanctions

Post by Joey Stewart » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:01 am

I was just wondering, in regards to the rapid escalation of the situation in the Ukraine and heavy economic sanctions being levied against Russia and now even uefa removing any football events from the country. Is it therefore likely that fide might do something along the same lines of banning russian players competing in any events or stripping of titles ?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

IM Jack Rudd

Re: Fide Sanctions

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 am

It's not the sort of offence for which they would be stripping titles. Banning Russian players from competing, possibly, although that would severely disrupt the ongoing World Championship qualification campaign.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:42 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 am
It's not the sort of offence for which they would be stripping titles. Banning Russian players from competing, possibly, although that would severely disrupt the ongoing World Championship qualification campaign.
I can't think there's any appetite for stripping individual Russian players, who may themselves be opposed to the policies of Vladimir Putin, of their titles. Banning official Russian teams is another matter. And individual Russian players will find it harder to compete abroad due to increased difficulties with visas, currency, etc.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:51 am

"I can't think there's any appetite for stripping individual Russian players, who may themselves be opposed to the policies of Vladimir Putin, of their titles."

Indeed. The Olympics banned Russia for systematic cheating with drugs, but then accepted entries under the name "Russian Olympic Committee" (perhaps they didn't realise it was the same country), and that went well. So would FIDE ban a country? I think South Africa was the last country to be kicked out of FIDE (for racist policies). Then FIDE banned individuals for coaching black children in South Africa, which does not sound sensible...

The Olympiad has taken place in unsuitable countries before, where member nations were not able to play.

The war is not actually in Russia, so maybe FIDE will let it go ahead, but I imagine the number of entries would tumble.

Gerard Killoran

Post by Gerard Killoran » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:58 am

I don't remember calls to ban British and American chess players after the invasion of Iraq.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:17 am

Please see my Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/DavidSedgwickIA/sta ... 3815840768 for contrasting reactions to the contrasting statements of two top Russian GMs.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:57 am

chess.com
GM Ian Nepomniachtchi: "History has seen many Black Thursdays. But today is blacker than the others.
GM Peter Svidler: "Silence made today possible. #notowar"
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:03 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:17 am
Please see my Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/DavidSedgwickIA/sta ... 3815840768 for contrasting reactions to the contrasting statements of two top Russian GMs.
While this is all very understandable and perhaps right, people maybe want to think through the possible implications of making invitations to events dependent on the statements of individual players about conflicts in which their countries are involved, especially if it were elevated into a general principle.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:08 am

Don't mention the war!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:50 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:17 am
So now we are allowing athletes to ply their trade only on condition of expressing their support for a political view of the organisers. I thought that was what the bad guys did.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:11 pm

I wondered what ICCF would do about current CC games involving Ukrainian players, then noticed one of my games had been stopped. This is the answer https://www.iccf.com/message?message=1520

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:57 am
chess.com
GM Ian Nepomniachtchi: "History has seen many Black Thursdays. But today is blacker than the others.
GM Peter Svidler: "Silence made today possible. #notowar"
Needless to say, a certain other leading Russian GM has reacted somewhat differently :roll:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Foley

Post by John Foley » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:24 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:13 pm
Needless to say, a certain other leading Russian GM has reacted somewhat differently :roll:
This is not the thread on cryptic clues - say the name.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
On Karjakins twitter he says he agrees with every word of this post: (Via google translate)
Are there people who like war? I think if there is, then they are a minority. And least of all lovers of war are among generals and officers. Because they know perfectly well what the price of victory is.

There is a lot of noise on social networks now that the war in Ukraine should be over. But that's exactly what our polite people are doing now. Who has a bad memory, I can remind you about the enforcement of peace in Georgia. Until 08/08/2008 - constant provocations and shooting at the border, loss of life. After - peace, silence and tranquility. And no one in Georgia even thinks of trying to attack South Ossetia and Abkhazia, let alone Russia.

It was not we who started the war in Ukraine, and it began long ago - with the first people killed not even in the Donbass, but on the streets of Kiev in January 2014. But now we have the opportunity to end this protracted war.

Therefore, it is extremely surprising for me to see now those who call on Russia to stop. Those who are really for peace, let them turn with words of support to their friends and relatives in Ukraine. Years of haze will soon subside. The artificial hostility will stop.

Those who take Ukrainian flags to Russian streets are simply deceiving themselves. The world is closer than ever before. In addition, the risk of provocations is high, because the real enemies of peaceful Ukraine now really need videos of “aggression”. This must be understood first of all.

I am for peace and tranquility on Ukrainian soil. And since the inhabitants of Ukraine themselves failed, it is our sacred duty to help them. Our soldiers came in peace. Any support for the Kiev regime is support for the war.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:40 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:25 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
On Karjakins twitter he says he agrees with every word of this post: (Via google translate)
Are there people who like war? I think if there is, then they are a minority. And least of all lovers of war are among generals and officers. Because they know perfectly well what the price of victory is.

There is a lot of noise on social networks now that the war in Ukraine should be over. But that's exactly what our polite people are doing now. Who has a bad memory, I can remind you about the enforcement of peace in Georgia. Until 08/08/2008 - constant provocations and shooting at the border, loss of life. After - peace, silence and tranquility. And no one in Georgia even thinks of trying to attack South Ossetia and Abkhazia, let alone Russia.

It was not we who started the war in Ukraine, and it began long ago - with the first people killed not even in the Donbass, but on the streets of Kiev in January 2014. But now we have the opportunity to end this protracted war.

Therefore, it is extremely surprising for me to see now those who call on Russia to stop. Those who are really for peace, let them turn with words of support to their friends and relatives in Ukraine. Years of haze will soon subside. The artificial hostility will stop.

Those who take Ukrainian flags to Russian streets are simply deceiving themselves. The world is closer than ever before. In addition, the risk of provocations is high, because the real enemies of peaceful Ukraine now really need videos of “aggression”. This must be understood first of all.

I am for peace and tranquility on Ukrainian soil. And since the inhabitants of Ukraine themselves failed, it is our sacred duty to help them. Our soldiers came in peace. Any support for the Kiev regime is support for the war.
From Star Trekkin' by The Firm:

Ah! We come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill;
we come in peace, shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men.