ECF Bans Russians

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
ben.graff

Re: ECF Bans Russians

Post by ben.graff » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 am

I'm wondering whether part of the problem is that the ECF statement is much shorter than the ECU Statement it is derived from... As a result, it is silent on some of the nuances the ECU address.

Specifically, the ECU announcement includes the following clause: "Individual players representing Russian or Belarusian federations shall be excluded from all ECU competitions unless they change federation or by their expressed will represent the FIDE flag in rating list*"

So presumably the same logic holds re the ECF position, and players can still compete if they re-register for a different federation or play under the FIDE flag? That feels much less problematic to me than an out and out ban, but it would be helpful to have this confirmed.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:15 am

ben.graff wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 am
I'm wondering whether part of the problem is that the ECF statement is much shorter than the ECU Statement it is derived from... As a result, it is silent on some of the nuances the ECU address.

Specifically, the ECU announcement includes the following clause: "Individual players representing Russian or Belarusian federations shall be excluded from all ECU competitions unless they change federation or by their expressed will represent the FIDE flag in rating list*"

So presumably the same logic holds re the ECF position, and players can still compete if they re-register for a different federation or play under the FIDE flag? That feels much less problematic to me than an out and out ban, but it would be helpful to have this confirmed.
From Facebook:

Lawrence Cooper: "They can apply to FIDE for a temporary transfer to "FID"."

Alex Holowczak: "They can also transfer to another Federation, such as England. If they are living here and playing chess anyway..."

I include my own quote as it wasn't challenged by Alex so I believe it to be correct.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:15 am
ben.graff wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:57 am

From Facebook:

Alex Holowczak: "They can also transfer to another Federation, such as England. If they are living here and playing chess anyway..."

I include my own quote as it wasn't challenged by Alex so I believe it to be correct.
Thanks Lawrence, given this clarification, I personally fully support the ECF position.
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:35 am

People really should not be expected to renounce their country in order to play in a chess tournament. RUS is not Putin.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:38 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by temporary.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:38 am
LawrenceCooper wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by temporary.
Until 31 May 2022.

"2. The right to play under the FIDE flag is granted until 31 May 2022. After this period, in the absence of other requests, the player will automatically be returned to the previous federation.

3. If a player wants to continue playing under the FIDE flag after 31 May 2022, he/she should submit a new request to FIDE after 1 May 2022. Such request will be considered in a due manner."

https://www.fide.com/news/1618

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:51 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am
Until 31 May 2022.

https://www.fide.com/news/1618
Thanks, I had missed that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:54 am

EDIT:
I see Lawrence has just linked to the FIDE announcement I had and my post is now redundant.

So I will delete that part of my post and replace it with the opinion that banning the national - and perhaps club - Russian teams is significantly more important and appropriate that stopping individual players from representing Russia. From Nigel Short's most recent interview - referenced in the Olympiad thread - he states very clearly that the world teams was cancelled in part because Russia couldn't be allowed to play.

It's a great pity that FIDE chose to cancel a chess event rather than just explicitly state representative Russian teams are suspended from their competitions - something they've still conspicuously failed to do.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:09 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:35 am
People really should not be expected to renounce their country in order to play in a chess tournament. RUS is not Putin.
Grandmasters, who've gotten help from the federation, yes. Kirill from Gateshead and Danil from Uni whom Putin has never heard of, no. Not unless we also ban the English competitors who have taken Russia's side. What more can they do?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:15 am

That the ECU should make the rules it has is quite understandable, and a good example for FIDE to follow.

But it is one thing to say that a Russian player should not become European Champion, given that Europe includes Ukraine. It is a more difficult choice for individual federations, which include neither Russia nor Ukraine in their identity, to ban Russian registered individuals from their own events, let alone to make recommendations to ordinary tournament organisers. Certainly some thought should be given to whether it is fair to expect individuals to renounce their country, even if they are politically opposed to its current agenda, and the choice to do so should be made carefully with a mind on the impact on the affected individuals currently known to be resident and active in this country. In that respect, it must be some cause for concern if many of them are juniors.

I don't pretend that these decisions are easy, though.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:18 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:54 am
It's a great pity that FIDE chose to cancel a chess event rather than just explicitly state representative Russian teams are suspended from their competitions
The decision to postpone the World Teams was obvious and easy to take. It does at least leave some hope that the Ukrainian team may be able to take their place, which was the first reason quoted.

Why they chose to mention the same issue regarding the Russian team remains a mystery to me. Even if this were one of the reasons behind the decision, which it should not have been, it was a PR disaster to include it. It is in any case clear to almost everybody that no official Russian team will take part in any FIDE event for the foreseeable future.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:31 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:54 am
It's a great pity that FIDE chose to cancel a chess event rather than just explicitly state representative Russian teams are suspended from their competitions - something they've still conspicuously failed to do.
Trouble is, even if "officially" banned they could still be allowed to weasel their way in under some meaningless banner of neutrality, and then indulge in this kind of disgusting behaviour.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:35 am
I'd disagree with your terminology, Justin. People aren't being asked to "renounce their country." Just to avoid legitimising a particular regime, by playing under its flag. There is a difference.

I completely respect people will reach their own conclusions, but to me the ECF approach feels proportionate and broadly mirrors what is being done in other sports.

There is so much that we can't do in relation to Ukraine, but avoiding "sports-washing," is surely one thing that we can do.
Ben Graff

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:49 am

ben.graff wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 am
I'd disagree with your terminology, Justin. People aren't being asked to "renounce their country." Just to avoid legitimising a particular regime, by playing under its flag. There is a difference.
The flag is the country's and not the regime's.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:55 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:49 am
ben.graff wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 am
The flag is the country's and not the regime's.
Agreed