World Cup

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Ben Purton

Re: World Cup

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:43 am

Well considering no one wants to discuss the game, ill happily do it on my own.
I love sleep, I need 8 hours a day and about 10 at night - Bill Hicks
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.
Hating the Yankees since 2002. Hating the Jets since 2001.

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Gelfand has now won
I would die happy if I beat Wood Green in the Eastman Cup final - Richmond LL captain.

Ian Lamb

Post by Ian Lamb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:45 pm

Gelfand in to world cup final Destroying his openent 2-0 while the other semi final there a playoff .

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:22 am

Well, since we do, I rather fear, know the winner of the London Chess Classic already, would anyone like to predict the winner of Gelfand v Ponomariov? I had tipped the latter to make the final but have since been more impressed by the former. But I'll stick wth Pono who has clearly regained his nerves of steel.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:09 am

Ponomariov won the FIDE World Championship in 2002, in a tournament which was the current Chess World Cup format (apart from a longer final). I'm not all that surprised he is doing so well. On that basis, I reckon Ponomariov will get the win.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:59 am

Except, of course, that Pono's career had a hefty dip between now and then - thanks not least to that *@!# Danailov :x

Great to see him fulfilling his potential again - as has been said, balls of steel yesterday :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Well, since we do, I rather fear, know the winner of the London Chess Classic already, would anyone like to predict the winner of Gelfand v Ponomariov? I had tipped the latter to make the final but have since been more impressed by the former. But I'll stick wth Pono who has clearly regained his nerves of steel.
I'd like to see Gelfand win but that's not a prediction.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:51 pm

The point is, I don't really want either of them to lose!! :wink:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 pm

Well, two rather colourless draws so far. Let's hope things start hotting up tomorrow! :wink:

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:26 pm

I've found myself completely disinterested in the final. 2 short draws so far, another dull game today. It really has paled into the background since the start of The Classic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 am

Anyway, Gelfand won (it went to blitz) Congratulations to him, commiserations to Pono :)

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:57 am

So now Gelfand, Aronian, Kamsky, the loser of Anand/Topalov, Carlsen and Kramnik (by rating probably), Gashimov (home wildcard probably), and whoever finishes 2nd in the still unfinished Grand Prix make up the candidates. Can't help but think Carlsen and Kramnik have got to this stage without really earning it.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am

The regulations have changed that often, including the Grand Prix in the middle of the series, that most GMs have lost faith with FIDE

Carlsen, along with Mickey Adams, pulled out of the GP, and Kramnik never entered it - clearly they are the two in form tournament players at the moment, and the candidates would be a farce without them

I'm not sure that the World Cup is a fair way to qualify, although I'm pleased to see tough match players like Kamsky and Gelfand there

Until Nigel has sorted out FIDE, we just need to sit back, ignore the politics, and enjoy the chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ben Purton

Post by Ben Purton » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:43 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:So now Gelfand, Aronian, Kamsky, the loser of Anand/Topalov, Carlsen and Kramnik (by rating probably), Gashimov (home wildcard probably), and whoever finishes 2nd in the still unfinished Grand Prix make up the candidates. Can't help but think Carlsen and Kramnik have got to this stage without really earning it.

??????????????????????? Kramnik and Carlsen have not earnt it? WTF?!??!?!?!?!???!

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:46 pm

Ben Purton wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:So now Gelfand, Aronian, Kamsky, the loser of Anand/Topalov, Carlsen and Kramnik (by rating probably), Gashimov (home wildcard probably), and whoever finishes 2nd in the still unfinished Grand Prix make up the candidates. Can't help but think Carlsen and Kramnik have got to this stage without really earning it.

??????????????????????? Kramnik and Carlsen have not earnt it? WTF?!??!?!?!?!???!
I mean, in comparison to the other qualifiers. Aronian has had to play four two-week events to qualify. Gelfand had to play a 3-week World Cup to qualify. Carlsen pulled out of the Grand Prix, knowing full well that he could get in as a wildcard anyway. He's been free to pursue other activities, such as Carlsen. Kramnik didn't enter the event either. When it looked like Kramnik would miss out, FIDE changed the criteria again so that only the World Cup winner qualified, plus a second player by rating, i.e. Kramnik. It seems a little unfair that everyone should go through rigorous qualifying procedures, and Carlsen and Kramnik can object to them, and still get in to the Candidates' Series. They deserve to be there by virtue of being the best players, yes, but they haven't really earnt it as the others have.