Aditya Verma

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Re: Aditya Verma

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:41 pm

We all do silly things while we're young - and, granted, this was sillier than most - but the lad looks to be in enough trouble with the Spanish authorities without us making a big issue of it here.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:47 pm

Aditya is acquitted https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68099669

There are some very interesting comments on the report about how a Snapchat message amongst friends could possibly have been intercepted.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:49 pm

Picking up on Neil's point, the BBC item goes on to say "(Snapchat) also work to proactively escalate to law enforcement any content appearing to involve imminent threats to life, such as school shooting threats, bomb threats and missing persons cases, and respond to law enforcement's emergency requests for disclosure of data when law enforcement is handling a case involving an imminent threat to life" which appears to indicate that it prioritises life-and-death issues over privacy concerns. I'd guess that other messaging services have similar practices.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:29 am

"which appears to indicate that it prioritises life-and-death issues over privacy concerns. I'd guess that other messaging services have similar practices."

And then either the court recognised that the message was a joke, and accepted that, or decided that the information was obtained illegally and therefore would make any conviction unsafe? (Based on the brief report I have seen - the full transcript would be quite lengthy...)