Told I shouldnt enter opens

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

Told I shouldnt enter opens

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:35 am

i have been barred from some events like the northumbrian masters and blackpool open, because they said i wasnt highly rated enough, the northumbrian masters was particularly cruel because i had already booked a 700 pound hotel without a facility for refund, but i accept Tim Walls explanation though was saddened by it immensely. But when i have entered opens i usually get a draw vs a 170 180 or 190 grade almost everytime and i have entered about 12 opens. and yet according to people that have made coments about me enetering, they say that isnt good enough and i shouldnt enter.

AlanLlewellyn

Re: Told I shouldnt enter opens

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:40 am

I include a draw vs a 192 grade in the blackpool open below

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:52 am

I was actually barred from entering the isle of man major section one time, i ws told it was very strong this is despite me getting 3.5/5 and 3/5 a few times in majors

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:12 am

My chess career has been full of bitter sweet moments, i was allowed to enter the isle of man masters (yes amazingly), but turned down later from the isle of man major section, i was allowed to play such greats as nigel short and daniel king in the person simuls but turned down from the northumbrian masters, i was also allowed to play such a great as Vishy Anand in 2012 online in a simul but was turned down from playing the 2007 open section in blackpool.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:22 am

this game was against the soon to be world champion!!!! I paid 80 pounds to enter the simul held on the ICC. I was not long out of hospital and was suffering from lck of practice and lack of concentration.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:27 am

if your wondering why i didnt resign in the above game its because i couldn't concentrate so the game lasted only 15 minutes and for 80 pound i wanted to atleast get a few moves on the board.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 am

In general, I'd say that tournaments wishing to restrict entries on the basis of strength really should put an explicit lower limit on rating or whatever.

I can't say that I would do this for most tournaments, but title-norm Swisses are a potential exception; really low-rated players entering them does actually make it more difficult for players to achieve norms.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:10 am

say Jack that were true and its not because there is a 400 rating difference limit on the level of player rating on fide. so a 1800 and a 1492 would both count as 2000 to a 2400. Please correct me if im wrong?

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:14 am

and you would get a rating performance of 2500 in that case in effect its free rating points

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:34 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 am
In general, I'd say that tournaments wishing to restrict entries on the basis of strength really should put an explicit lower limit on rating or whatever.

I can't say that I would do this for most tournaments, but title-norm Swisses are a potential exception; really low-rated players entering them does actually make it more difficult for players to achieve norms.
Mr Llewellyn's grade is 1583 on the last rating list so the Major U-1750 was presumably the tournament the organisers of the Northumbria Chess Masters wanted players of that grade to play in. However, it clearly states on the ECF Calendar information that the Northumbria Masters is "open to all" so it seems surprising to me that there was even a conversation with Tim Wall about it. Was it possible that Tim was the good guy here and was simply suggesting that while Alan was perfectly entitled to enter the Masters the competition was potentially too hot for a player of Alan's grade and he might end up getting battered and that perhaps he might be better off in one of the lower sections?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:37 am

Right. There's been a recent rule change such that a player can only upgrade one opponent over the course of a tournament, although typically that wouldn't matter much.

But the actual problem is something different, and it relates to the fact that title norms currently work on the average rating of the player's opponents, and only one player can be upgraded to a floor rating (2200 for GM norms, 2050 for IM norms). Suppose you play a 2200 in the first round of a big open and you actually manage to win. This screws with the norm chances of the 2200 you beat, as it should. But it also screws with the norm chances of the 2300 you get paired against in round 2: they've now played you and some 1600 and can only treat one of you as the floor rating.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:48 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:34 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:46 am

Mr Llewellyn's grade is 1583 on the last rating list so the Major U-1750 was presumably the tournament the organisers of the Northumbria Chess Masters wanted players of that grade to play in. However, it clearly states on the ECF Calendar information that the Northumbria Masters is "open to all" so it seems surprising to me that there was even a conversation with Tim Wall about it. Was it possible that Tim was the good guy here and was simply suggesting that while Alan was perfectly entitled to enter the Masters the competition was potentially too hot for a player of Alan's grade and he might end up getting battered and that perhaps he might be better off in one of the lower sections?
it wasnt this years northumbrian masters it was 2018 same info to jack rudd, and my fide is 1492 and i have entered and played in the isle of man masters and the london classic super rapidplay. the first i got 1/9(from a bye the single point) but the second i got 4/10 when speelman got 7/10 in same tournament and i finished above some ims

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:50 am

my rapidplay rating is running at 1773

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:52 am

As a general rule, open players are strongly opposed to having to play against very low rated opponents - it is a waste of a game to them which will either be too easy or mind numbingly boring as the lower rated player desperately scrapes for a draw and at the end of it even a win gives zero reward.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:56 am

why dont you emphasise the very low, I know i did when i read it
Last edited by AlanLlewellyn on Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.