out of the blue in an english line i invented

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

Re: out of the blue in an english line i invented

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:56 am

8...e5 may technically be the novelty some one suggested but not in livebook on chessbase.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:01 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:42 am
I think this is because we really think of opening theory as depending on the players involved being of a certain standard.
That reminds me of a member of this forum complaining, some years ago, that a strong player had claimed a move as a novelty when he'd played it before, and, if I remember correctly, the strong player was present at the event at which our member played the move.

The strong player's response was something to the effect that he wasn't aware the move had been played previously by our member because he didn't waste his time looking at the games of 2300 rated players.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 am

Pretty much any strong player would see 9.Nxe5; tactics like that are the first things you look at in those sorts of positions. The tricky thing is getting the calculations right.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:06 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Does that stand up though? If a move had, for instance, been played in a grandmaster tournament in the 1980s, hailed as a novelty, changed the course of theory etc etc etc, and then many years later it turned out to have been played in a club game in Adelaide in 1967, would that retrospectively lose its status as a novelty? I am not sure it would, and I think this is because we really think of opening theory as depending on the players involved being of a certain standard. (I also don't think there are clear lines here that we can draw.)
I have personal experience of this.

Many years ago now - I forget exactly when - Nigel Short played 6.a3 against the Najdorf Sicilian, and won. Malcolm Pein proclaimed this as a TN in his Daily Telegraph column.

I had played 6.a3 even longer ago - in 1971, I think - against Alan Hanreck of Kent. Alan found a better line than Nigel's opponent did subsequently, and the game was drawn.

I sent the score of Sedgwick v Hanreck to Malcolm. That didn't do either me or Alan any good. The TN remained attributed to Nigel.

(Edit: The above was written before I saw Ian Thompson's post. For clarity, there is no connection between the two episodes.)
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:08 am

Ian Thompson wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:01 am
JustinHorton wrote:
I think this is because we really think of opening theory as depending on the players involved being of a certain standard.
That reminds me of a member of this forum complaining, some years ago, that a strong player had claimed a move as a novelty when he'd played it before, and, if I remember correctly, the strong player was present at the event at which our member played the move.

The strong player's response was something to the effect that he wasn't aware the move had been played previously by our member because he didn't waste his time looking at the games of 2300 rated players.
well i am a strong player myself...a strong 1492, so maybe he would do a gotham chess and look for a laugh.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:09 am

I mean I'm thinking that if there's a TN played at the next Candidates tournament and it later transpires that it was played in a blitz game on Chess.com in 2018* between Justinpatzer and bulgingbrain2003, I fully intend to take the credit, I fully expect everybody to ignore me and I think everybody will be right.

[* for the record no such game actually exists]
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 am

Gotham chess:"now he takes back the rook...Nooooooooooooooooo why why didnt you just take back!!!!!!!!!!!!"

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:09 am
... I fully intend to take the credit, I fully expect everybody to ignore me and I think everybody will be right.
But you won't even be able to claim the TN of doing that. I've got there first. :lol:

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 am
Pretty much any strong player would see 9.Nxe5; tactics like that are the first things you look at in those sorts of positions. The tricky thing is getting the calculations right.
is that why the position has been got to 12 times about before in livebook and this move isnt even mentioned, but surely they would also see after 0-0 0-0 9 Nxe5 is a ? (A mistake) and dismiss it. I bet you believe in fairies too Jack.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:22 am

the key is take the 0-0 and 0-0 out and see if the move has been played before, then it is an even game and worthy of TN

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:34 am

a similar idea in another line

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:37 am

the frank cheeseman game must be one of the best games of chess ever played

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:22 pm

Are we talking about this position ?

that could arise after

Other move orders possible

Database research shows that the version with both sides castling had been reached by Tartakower as White against Gligoric in 1949. A handful of other players have also tried this hybrid of an English and Kings Gambit Declined.

Engine research indicates that 8. Nxe5 is a mistake as Black simply takes on e5. The point is that after 8. .. dxe5 9. Bxg4 Nxg4 10. Qxg4, Black has 10. .. Qxd3 and the White King is stuck in the centre.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:33 pm

A line where they havent castled or white hasnt played d3 which is equal

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:39 pm

d3 is a move best delayed for this reason