Chess 'Innocent Moves'

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

Chess 'Innocent Moves'

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:34 pm

The film title is 'Innocent Moves' but is chess an innocent pursuit of inconsequential moves or is it as i believe more important almost than life itself. Ive heard an excuse for cheating say 'well its only a game' but when someones psyche is mixed up in the game as it is in chess, the game takes on a life of its own. In the film the belittler teacher says its a game like penuckle , not that i know what penuckle is but when someone belittles chess they are really belittling theyre own intellect.

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Chess 'Innocent Moves'

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:08 pm

Pinochle

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:11 pm

what has the Chilean dictator got to do with it lol, thanks kevin is it an americanism for a british game

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 am

I thought the story was OKish in innocent moves but it again suffers from the thing I really hate about chess movies - putting someone on a pedestal for doing almost nothing, other then scrape an IM title then quit the game entirely and quitters should be afforded no respect whatsoever.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:52 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 am
I thought the story was OKish in innocent moves but it again suffers from the thing I really hate about chess movies - putting someone on a pedestal for doing almost nothing, other then scrape an IM title then quit the game entirely and quitters should be afforded no respect whatsoever.
quitters like magnus carlsen maybe??? just a thought and bobby fischer??? i know they reached the top but still quitters.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:55 am

Fischer did have a fairly legitimate excuse for relinquishing the title (mental breakdown) though I have somewhat less respect for how carlsen handled the situation .. However, both achieved legendary world championship status during their career so in my eyes that makes either infinitely more worthy of a movie then someone who didn't even make GM let alone get close to a shot at the title.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:58 am

It’s probably the best film to capture the experience of being a chess parent, and the cast is top notch. I’d say the Queen’s Gambit is at the top by some considerable margin, as it’s so fresh and invigorating, with such a well-done Mad Men sense of time.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:08 pm

IMO Queen of Katwe is better than both, in that it is both thoroughly enjoyable and engages with chess at a level that is more in line with where most players' realistic ambitions may lie.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:04 pm

is it hollywoods ifluence but theyre mostly(chess films) feel good movies-as a western player i cheer during pawn sacrifice for example.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:02 pm

as discussed on this Forum in other posts
.....the film is based on the book "Searching for Bobby Fischer" by Fred Waitzkin.
Numerous cameo roles by chess players.
Paul Robert Jackson

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:45 pm

'chess thing' 'chess thing she is saying its a chess thing' 'what if it were something else like say...pinnacle' 'pinanacle!!!! she is comparing chess to pinnacle!!, if you want to compare it to something compare it to art or music, It's chess not chess thing' 'I dont mean to belittle you mr waitzkin','oh but you are belittling me and him'

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:49 pm

'seven moves, seven , how is it possible to lose in 7 moves','maybe i dont have it'