A funny story...

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
AlanLlewellyn

A funny story...

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:35 pm

I went to the 2012 British Championships in north shields and i went on the first day to the organisers office and saw lora barnes there and spoke to her. 'how did keith arkell get on in his simul yesterday',i asked.'hes right behind you why dont you ask him yourself', she replied.
So i started talking to Keith and the conversation went onto online chess and the internet chess club, he said he had played on it recently and said his handle was atomrod, i said my handle was cap78red and he said 'weve played recently', i said how did it go, i mean i guess you won...' and he replied 'no you won'

Matt Mackenzie

Re: A funny story...

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 pm

Nice, wouldn't mind confirmation from Keith though.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:51 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:25 pm
Nice, wouldn't mind confirmation from Keith though.
he may have thought because of my otb rating wrongly that i cheated and he may keep quiet-i have spoken to him about the conversation recently on fb but he has since for no descernable reason censored me on fb, but he remembers the conversation

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:54 pm

i have no proof of the victory. my results against titled players goes from 2003-2011 and there is an unexplained gap in 2012 of no results and continues from 2013 to current

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:28 pm
Hi Alan,

I have no problem with your ref to our chat in North Shields.

I only censored you on facebook because you were dominating threads - writing 5, 6, 7 posts on top of each other.

As far as I'm concerned all is fine between you and me.
a private message reply from keith for some reason he wont reply to you matt himself

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:40 pm

good luck in the british champs btw Keith

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:06 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 pm
Keith Arkell wrote:
Hi Alan,

I only censored you on facebook because you were dominating threads - writing 5, 6, 7 posts on top of each other.

a private message reply from keith for some reason he wont reply to you matt himself
If someone sends a private message to me, I assume that they want it to stay private.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:12 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:06 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:36 pm
Keith Arkell wrote:
Hi Alan,

If someone sends a private message to me, I assume that they want it to stay private.
if someone beat me who had little to brag about in terms of ability and I was a GM and they mentioned it on a website-id like to think when the validity of it was question as with matt mackenzie i would confirm it happened but of course the law of the land is blame Alan for everything i see.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:19 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:06 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:12 pm
if someone beat me who had little to brag about in terms of ability and I was a GM and they mentioned it on a website-id like to think when the validity of it was question as with matt mackenzie i would confirm it happened but of course the law of the land is blame Alan for everything i see.
I would make the same comment to anyone else who revealed the contents of a private message. Indeed, I may well have done so, although I don't recall it.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:50 pm

i think the term private message is not a reference to top secret unpublishable will detonate in 5 seconds in this regard as he was replying to a private message i sent to him but if for some unfathomable reason he wants me beating him to remain non-public, i can only assume he thinks i am a cheat. Wouldnt that be your conclusion?

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:01 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:50 pm
i think the term private message is not a reference to top secret unpublishable will detonate in 5 seconds in this regard as he was replying to a private message i sent to him but if for some unfathomable reason he wants me beating him to remain non-public, i can only assume he thinks i am a cheat. Wouldnt that be your conclusion?
No, it would not. I am very reluctant to conclude that anyone is cheating. I always look for innocent explanations first.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:19 pm

not wouldn't it be your conclusion i was cheating i meant wouldn't it be your conclusion Keith thought i was cheating why else would he deliberately not confirm it i told him about the thread and he was online a the time commenting on another thread. I guess that isn't concrete proof but its circumstantial proof.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:22 pm

i guess he may have been too busy but he wasnt too busy to privately message me

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:24 pm

but it is coupled with the fact the record has disappeared of the game on icc rather suspiciously.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:20 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:19 pm
not wouldn't it be your conclusion i was cheating i meant wouldn't it be your conclusion Keith thought i was cheating why else would he deliberately not confirm it i told him about the thread and he was online a the time commenting on another thread. I guess that isn't concrete proof but its circumstantial proof.
You had confused me.